April 23, 2014

Dexter: See-Through

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 21st 2007 10:13PM
dexter's lila
(S02E04) A lot of commenters mentioned the change in Rita this season. I think it's understandable given what she went through with Paul, and then him dying in prison and her kids being affected so much. I think she maybe be finding she needs to keep her guard up more than ever now, to make sure she's doesn't make the same mistake again.

Lila's artwork definitely supports several theories. She's either a murderer herself, a human-flesh eating addict, an S&M weirdo or a vampire. I mean, god, she practically looked like she was salivating when she was in the morgue. It seems too easy that she'd be eventually accused of being the Bay Harbor Butcher, but I really hope it's not this transparent so early in the season.

Speaking of Lila, I love that they're continuing to be faithful to Dexter being so utterly uninterested in the opposite sex, or any sex for that matter. He's using Lila as a sponsor, but her hugs and kisses mean nothing to him; they just strike him as "odd." Again, right from the books.

Dexter's making himself look more and more guilty as the case against him builds, even though his colleagues don't suspect a thing. It's when things start pointing in his direction that these moments will stand out.

The Doakes storyline was interesting, though at first seemed a bit distracting from the Dexter story. But is it, really? Maybe this was an incident that shows Doakes would better understand why Dexter does what he does, if he should ever discover Dexter's secret. Doakes actually seems like the one person on the show who would understand Dexter's "addiction" even maybe a little bit.

The flashback sequences to Dexter's youth are always interesting. In this episode it was particularly chilling when he was answering the complete opposite of what he was thinking to the behaviorist's questions. "Have you ever killed an animal?" "No. Never."

Finally the Pascal storyline seems to be gone. However, it was definitely a conclusion that made it worth watching go down for the past few episodes.

I love that Dexter couldn't believe that Vince would be the one person to bring him down. But what with those rocks? How could Dexter possibly throw everyone off his sent once they get to his marina? Finally I'm all caught up on early episodes and I'll have to find out with the rest of you.

Quote of the episode:

Rita: Y'know I hope they catch him today. And I'm not a violent person, but I hope they hurt him ... Have a good day.
Dexter (thinking): Make up your mind.

What's Lila's "addiction" likely to be?
She's a killer, but only for food88 (12.8%)
She's a killer, but kills only bad guys93 (13.5%)
She's into S and M140 (20.4%)
She's a vampire62 (9.0%)
It'll just be something boring like Heroin304 (44.3%)

laterdaaze

Come on Alex! Lila is WAY more interesting, and attractive, than Rita. Now Rita's mother is in town, and she can see through him, (not good for Dexter and his web of lies). "What's this?" -Dex "Oh I have a little quitting to do of my own." -Rita ... I think Dexter is alot deeper and more interesting than Rita, they have nothing in common, and he is faking their relationship to pretend to be normal. I hope he leaves here and Lila is the new girl. But then again I could see him killing her. But she seems to accept him, and she's a killer herself... Fcuk Rita

October 30 2007 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gromwell

After watching the new episodes and observing the characters, I think that if Dexter becamse sexual with Lila it would add a very intriguing dynamic to the show.

I don't think Dexter has been terribly sloppy, and he can't get caught. If he does, the show is over.
You can't be a serial killer if you are dead.

October 29 2007 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I don't think Deb suspects anything. I feel sorry for her, Rudy being a killer messed her up so much, if she knew what Dexter was up to I think it would devastate her.

And for some reason I can't stand Lila. She seems like one of those people who find themselves way too interesting. Before Dexter walked in I knew she would be busy making some sort of pretentious art, she's such a stereotypical 'mysterious', supposedly deep, dark and interesting (and of course attractive) induhvidual.

October 28 2007 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brad

looks to me like the next episode is going to be dexter killing his mother's murderer.

there seems to be a bit about his past that is still unexplained, so i'm hoping that we found out some more info about all of that. (e.g., his biological father, why his mother became a drug dealer, etc.)

October 27 2007 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brad

October 27 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iheartdexter

do you really think deb knows more than she leads on? If so why wouldn't she suspect dexter as the the new killer? And if she really does suspect him wouldn't she be trying to protect him?

It's so funny how oblivious dexter is to rita's jeolousy, he's such a typical guy sometimes.

I love this show because I can't decide if he should get caught or not? Sometimes I think he should have a dream where he's strapped himself on the chair with the cotton in his mouth, he asks himself 'why did you do it' and the strapped up dexter replies 'because they were bad people who did bad things' and killer dexter replies 'so are you and now its your time' and he starts to murder him- then he wakes up in a cold sweat. this could indicate his feeling remorse- when he actually starts feeling things which is inevitable since
a) he cried when he killed his brother
b) he was worried when deb was missing
c) he got that minivan for rita and the kids (he cares)

Dexter fits the profile in many ways but in terms of feelings, ethics and isolation he's no serial killer. I"m fascinated by this show though. Can't stop watching. anyone with PTSD can recognize some ofthe things Dexter goes through and empathize. great writing- i need to get thebooks!!

October 26 2007 at 3:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ruth

Enjoyed the chemistry between Angel and the widow(don't remember her name!) who belatedly chooses to reveal her dead husbands predeliction for storing guns in the walls (!). I hope we see more between these two actors. Hats off to the team in charge of casting for Dexter - they do the best job of getting the most realistic looking actors to populate the peripheral storylines.

October 24 2007 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DexFan

Hi All. I am new to this site and thrilled to find other people as intrigued by Dexter as I am.

I don't think Dexter would kill Doakes. Even though Doakes has killed two people, I think they are kills that Dexter would approve of as they agree with Harry's Code.

After seeing the bizarre "art" in Lila's apartment, I tend to think she was molested, probably as a child. I haven't read the books, but I think a great story line would be for Lila to come clean and tell Dexter what happened to her, why she became an addict, what her bizarre artwork means, etc. and for Dexter to find and dispose of the person that did this to Lila. Maybe at this point Dexter could finally open up to Lila and tell her what his real addiction is. Now that Harry is dead, there is no one in his life that he can be completely himself with and maybe he sees Lila as the one person he could do that with.

Dexter does seem to want to protect the people in his life (his version of "love" I suppose). The whole reason he got rid of Paul was because he was causing Rita a great deal of stress. It seems he is also becoming more attached to Lila, so maybe he will do her a "favor" as well by ridding her of a person that is upsetting her.

Just wanted to say you all make some really good points and I am so happy I found this site.

October 24 2007 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben

I think it's been well established throughout the series that Dexter is pretty much asexual. He spent the better part of the first season avoiding sex with Rita. Anyone who thinks Dexter showed any sexual interest in Lila isn't watching very closely. His only interest lies in the fact that she seems to understand his dark side and not be frightened by it.

Someone asked if the Ice Truck Killer case is closed. Yes! They believe Rudy cut his own throat.

When Rudy tried to stab Deb and was held back by Dex, Deb's eyes came open. It's possible she knows something. Someone also mentioned the lady who gives Dex the files. Given what we know about Harry, it seems possible - even likely - he would have told this lady about Dex, perhaps believing that someone should watch over him. She was friendly with Harry, so if any suspicion lands on Dex, I think it's possible she may come into play again.

At some point, someone has to find out! Dex has been too sloppy. I am interesting to see who it will be and what Dex will do when confronted. Someone said maybe Doakes would understand Dex, but I was thinking that maybe with two suspicious (at least to the department) shootings under his belt, Dex might feel tempted to make Doakes a plastic wrap sweater.

October 24 2007 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

Shoobidoo you need to get a hold of the the last episode. You somehow missed the ending. The police found Rudy/Brian/Biny's body strapped to his tipping table, dead.

I S - The show isn't following the books. In the first book, the ice truck killer lives, the Lt. get killed and Rita's children and Deb all know things about Dex that they don't in the show. The second book is completely different than this season and the third book's plot is waaay out there.

October 23 2007 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply