October 1, 2014

Moonlight: Fever

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 21st 2007 1:23PM
Moonlight
(S01E04) "You're a delicate flower, Mick St. John." - Beth

Since Jen is on a trip, I'm taking over reviewing duties this week for Moonlight. Sorry for the delay in posting the review. My phone company thought it would be funny to switch my phone number with someone else's on Friday night. This meant no Internet access until the phone company took care of the problem on Sunday morning! Yikes!

As Jen said two weeks ago, even if a lot of people don't like this series, it seems that I too have a higher tolerance for it and I enjoy vampire smut. Plus, the shows I tape on Friday nights and watch over the weekend are all about me not having to think too much while being entertained (the other show on my Friday watch list is Las Vegas). Moonlight falls right into that category.

MoonlightThis week, Mick and Beth were searching for a young woman named Leni Hayes who was believed to be hiding in the desert. Since sunlight and vampires don't mix, Mick's vampiric ability to heal himself was depleted. Beth had to take drastic measures to save his life. The episode was entertaining because of the mystery of the storyline, the new vampire factoids we learned, and the Beth/Mick relationship.

Even if a tad predictable, the main storyline offered us a few twists and turns. It was pretty much a given (even if you hadn't read the episode's official description) that Leni would do something stupid which would lead to her going on the run. At first, I thought that she had called Fayed and I was not expecting her to shoot Mick. I was surprised to see Mick steal the cop's car instead of a random (and less visible) one. In retrospect, it was probably the best choice since the cop was stuck without a ride to chase Mick and Leni but it was still a risky option since stealing a police car is illegal.

It was great to see Josh and Mick properly meet one another and work on the same case. It added a new level to the love triangle since both men were now able to size up one another a bit more. I wonder if Josh will become more and more jealous as Beth works on more cases with Mick. Probably, especially since she will surely start to slowly pull away from him.

Mick once again showed us how great an investigator he is, maybe even more than in previous episodes. Yes, Mick has decades of experience as an investigator and whatnot. Still, this week he showed us how quick he is to find clues and make sense of it all. His enlighten sense of smell told him that Leni was not injured; he was really quick to make the connection between the picture and the bill, etc. Not only is he a fantastic investigator, but he is always pretty good at having people he doesn't know confide in him. It didn't took long for Leni to spill everything (well, almost).

MoonlightMick and Beth's relationship went a step further this week. At the beginning of the episode, he told us that he always picks up the phone for Beth. The poor guy has been having trust issues since Coraline turned him (who wouldn't after such a traumatic event?). Later, Beth had to face the fact that Mick was dead. The news deeply affected her, showing how much she truly cares about her friend. But their relationship reached a new height when she offered him her blood so he could survive. This was a rather intimate moment between the two (one could even compare it to them making out for the first time). Beth made a sacrifice that could have turned deadly if Mick hadn't been able to stop. In a way, she gave her life to him. Her facial expression when Josh kissed her at the end expressed how she now feels for Mick, this paving the way for a potential Mick/Beth hookup.

For Mick, Beth's gesture not only meant he would live but also that he would now "feel" her in his body. You can see this event affected him since, compared to at the beginning of the episode, he didn't open the door when she came knocking. Mick knows that Beth is in danger because of him and he wants to stop it. We, the viewers, know he won't be able to break up their team because, without it, there would be no show!

One interesting fact we learned about the "delicate flower" this week is that Mick St. John spent six weeks in a trench in the Ardennes during the Battle of the Bulge. This adds to his background and character. I hope we see flashbacks of him in the trenches at some point to see how these six weeks helped shape the man he is today.

We learned a bit more about vampires, per the Moonlight world:
  • Mick keeps human food such as coffee in order to entertain guests.
  • Vampires can go outside during daylight but not without consequences. (Note to Mick: Do not wear black clothes when outside if you want a better chance at surviving.)
  • When in survival mode, vampires who feed on someone may not be able to stop themselves.
In all, this week was a good episode that added to the show's mythology and helped the two leads grow closer to one another.

Should Mick turn Beth into a vampire?
Yes180 (36.0%)
No277 (55.4%)
I don't care43 (8.6%)

Mandy

No cause then their wouldn't be anything to watch.

I live in Australia and we watch Moonlight on a Wednesday at 9:30, so why doesn't CBS put Moonlight on at that time.

January 13 2008 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

This show is a bit too familiar to me...reminds me a LOT of "Forever Knight," a story about a vampire turned homicide detective trying to regain his humanity/mortality. Lead character named "Nick." But, maybe it's just me.

November 01 2007 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Hey Alicia,

I actually think Moonlight is going at a normal pace relationship-wise. While Mick and Sophie are mutually interested, they're simultaneously uncertain and both S's boyfriend and Mick's own feelings serve as decent roadblocks. On a side note, he did cry 'Not here, not like this,' when she offered herself implying he had hoped for a more 'romantic' albeit cliched vampire feeding setting focusing on the neck over the wrist - :)
Overall, ML has improved. I'm no longer bored by his overtly emotional voiceovers and he's downplayed the moodiness. While Beth is the stereotypical nosy reporter, it doesn't seem like a plot contrivance so much as her natural curiosity. While I would've loved if she were a nerdy, vampire-obsessed blogger, you can't have everything :) If the show is cancelled, I won't cry as it isn't the TV crack of FK/B:TVS, but I'll enjoy the male eye candy while I can :)

October 25 2007 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

mamadoe - if anything, this show is the less mature version of "Angel." Moonlight is a pale shadow of the king of vampire detective shows.

I'm still not completely sold here. Things are moving too fast. We're not even a quarter of the way through the season and he's already fed off her? The show is improving, but I feel like everything is being much too rushed. The mysteries are lame - they're not even a little bit original. I'm OK with an arc-driven series, but each episode needs to have more of a hook and payoff for me. The character and relationship developments are interesting, but there's nothing interesting going on elsewhere.

Plus, at this rate Mick and Beth will sleep together by mid-November, Coraline will make her inevitable appearance in December and when the show comes back from winter hiatus, Mick and Beth will be married with kids. I for one hope things slow down and simmer. Shows that go for "it" too quickly get canceled just as fast.

October 25 2007 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

thought i'd add this in, since i haven't seen this anywhere on tv squad: cbs ordered 4 more scripts for moonlight, yay!

check it out: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i8250d0c235497d9f7b26a28da59fa13a

October 24 2007 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Thanks for the great review. Loved this episode. Alex's and Sophia's acting in the bathroom scene was great. They really conveyed their feelings of fear and pain.

Can't wait for the next installment of Moonlight. I, too, hope it's on for a long time.

October 22 2007 at 5:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cj

I am also a vampire buff. love this show I'd let him turn me. I hope this show keeps going every time I get hooked on something they take it off. Why can't they ask the fans.

October 22 2007 at 4:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeffrey Lipsey

Moonlight keeps getting better and better each week!

"I’d have to say Fever was the best episode of Moonlight so far and I’m no longer ashamed to say I like a show about vampires (OK, maybe still a little bit ashamed)."

October 22 2007 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

i don't think i'm actually a fan of "vampire smut," really. i usually don't like vampire stuff, except the stuff i see as classic (dracula, the lost boys..that's about it for me that i can think of). i do dig this show, though. 1) alex o'loughlin is super nice to watch 2) i do like a little romance stuff even though it simultaneously gives me douche chills 3) i usually like supernatural stuff, so even if it's not my favorite, vamp's are still in that genre.

i think beth gets some pretty good lines and i would be asking just as many questions if i were her. i also like the friend a lot (josef). a nice contrast to mick. plus i always love a guy who uses his powers for good (mick, of course).

a good episode. although, i didn't think it really added anything to start off w/ the main scene (mick feeding on beth). i mean, i guess if you're going to go w/ whole "how on earth did they get in this situation angle?" that that type of thing serves, but you could pretty easily figure out how they got there.

anyway, if anyone wants to check out more work by alex o'loughlin, i rented "feed" and it was...disturbing. must have a high tolerance for gore, though.

October 22 2007 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary Kay Brooks

When all the relationship shows like Grey's and ER, Brother/Sister and alike start rolling into the same kiss and fight and make-up again, Moonlight comes along and puts the veiwer into fantasy. Mick is handsome and restrained, Beth is pretty and moves well and is believable. Of course things will get tangled but the pace is fast enough and the weekly vampire info (being turned, or blood from the fridge is ok) gives us just enough to keep us hanging on till next week. Great young cast. I wonder who is a vampire in secret and will turn on Mick. And what about that ring on Mick's finger?? More info yet to come for this new fledgling show. I hope it sicks around.

October 22 2007 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply