October 25, 2014

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The TiVo Guy

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 22nd 2007 2:02AM

Kevin Heffernan and Larry David
(S06E07) "I'm leaving." - Cheryl

Wow. I don't want to say that was the best episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm ever... but it might have been. I don't recall ever feeling so conflicted, angry, confused, and giddy all at the same time while watching this show but now I know what it's like. The whole season has really been building up to this. Hell, the whole series has. We'd always wondered what it would take for Cheryl to finally call it quits. Now we know. Poor airplane phone reception.

That's all it took. I think the reasoning behind it was subtle though. How long has Cheryl been harboring the idea of leaving Larry? Seems like this just provided her an easy out. Regardless, as you would expect, a divorce is looming on the horizon and everyone (the Funkhausers, Ted and Mary, the owner at Primo's) is siding with Cheryl.

There have been little hints and jabs all season long suggesting that this may happen. Cheryl's flirtations with Ted. The entire fiasco about dealing with eco-friendly toilet paper and how Larry didn't want to use it anymore. Add in David's real life marriage woes and this seemed like an inevitable plot point.

It's hard to say anything in Larry's defense. Did Cheryl blow this one situation out of proportion? Absolutely. Was her flight terrifying? Seems that way. But she's alive. I suppose it was eye-opening for her and that's enough I guess because as she said -- it's everything. This was just the last straw.

I think the one thing I truly loved about this episode was how it weaved so many different things together. The dry-cleaning, to the fly-less underwear guy that Cheryl is now dating, right down to little things like Larry and Jeff quibbling over water glasses. This episode just felt flawless. It was jumbled yet cohesive at the same time.

Some highlights:

• For whatever reason, Marty saying "I'm emotionally distraught" is infinitely funnier than if someone else had said it.
  • That one exchange between Marty and Jeff about Cheryl's decaying looks was priceless. ("Terrific body." "Used to be amazing." "I remember.")
  • I had to pause early on when the TiVo guy spoiled Lost for Larry. Too funny. ("Shocking!")
  • Speaking of the TiVo guy (Broken Lizard's Kevin Heffernan) -- great guest stars! Kaitlin Olsen of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was back as Cheryl's sister Becky and Diedrich Bader was hilarious too as Simon.
  • Only Larry could get his testicles caught in the fly of his underwear. Long balls Larry!
  • The entire mint-tissues-pen scene with Glenn (2 Ns!) was great too. He's the anti-Larry only not quite.
  • Lucy Lawless is still alive? (Before you answer that, yes I know it's sarcastic and no, I don't watch Battlestar Galactica.)

So what happens now? Larry only has Jeff and Richard Lewis (assuming he forgets about the fight) left on his side. I'm sure Larry will want his ten grand back from Simon, but if this really goes south... he might need it to live off of. What happens when Cheryl cleans house in divorce court? As much as it sucked, I'd love to see an episode reminiscent of the Seinfeld finale, where Cheryl recounts the horrible things Larry has done as certain memorable characters back her up in court. Could be funny if done right.

Do you want Larry and Cheryl to get back together?
Yes338 (61.8%)
No209 (38.2%)

Bob Andelman

oops--dropped the url above: http://www.mrmedia.com/2007/10/cheryl-hines-001-curb-your-enthusiasm.html

November 01 2007 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Andelman

Cheryl Hines plays "Cheryl David," Larry David's wife, on the HBO series "Curb Your Enthusiasm." In this audio interview (and transcription), she talks about the effect of his divorce on the show and her role, as well as her favorite improv moments and what it was like to play opposite Robin Williams in "RV."

November 01 2007 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franky

I found it rather strange how Larry would except Cheryl's date. being the usual quick witted guy i thought he would of tried to at least embarrassed no fly guy...

I think Cheryl is a sweetie although I thought it was abit harsh to have her date someone soon after the split.

October 25 2007 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robyn

This is the funniest show on cable tv..I have become an addict! I find myself watching every episode that is on and just laughing my A@@ off!!

I love larry's interactions with jeff's wife..when she calls him a four eyed F*** I am in hysterics!! that scene with the phone ringing and them screaming at each other over answering it or not was too much!!

I am siding with larry by the way....:)

October 24 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark H

I think the hostess is the same actress as the sunglasses saleswoman in the classic Beloved Aunt episode? They have her listed as Julie Claire...she's done bit parts in other stuff.

October 23 2007 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I thought last week's ep was boring and unfunny, so I was thrilled about this ep's quality. I couldn't stop laughing at the scene at the restaurant, of Larry talking to himself next to Annoying-Cellphone-Guy. "Hold on, I've got Steve on the other line." I'm LOLing as I type!

Part of the scene is in a promo on HBO In Demand, and I've played it over and over for a sure belly laugh!

October 23 2007 at 6:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn Beck

Sorry for the double post. Not sure how that happened.

October 23 2007 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WriterRoss

Sorry for the double post. Not sure how that happened.

October 22 2007 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WriterRoss

No answer yet to who played the hostess in the restaurant. Iris? Aris? Did anyone catch her real name? She looked very familiar to this CYE faithful viewer.

October 22 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply