Curb Your Enthusiasm: The TiVo Guy
(S06E07) "I'm leaving." - Cheryl
Wow. I don't want to say that was the best episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm ever... but it might have been. I don't recall ever feeling so conflicted, angry, confused, and giddy all at the same time while watching this show but now I know what it's like. The whole season has really been building up to this. Hell, the whole series has. We'd always wondered what it would take for Cheryl to finally call it quits. Now we know. Poor airplane phone reception.
That's all it took. I think the reasoning behind it was subtle though. How long has Cheryl been harboring the idea of leaving Larry? Seems like this just provided her an easy out. Regardless, as you would expect, a divorce is looming on the horizon and everyone (the Funkhausers, Ted and Mary, the owner at Primo's) is siding with Cheryl.
There have been little hints and jabs all season long suggesting that this may happen. Cheryl's flirtations with Ted. The entire fiasco about dealing with eco-friendly toilet paper and how Larry didn't want to use it anymore. Add in David's real life marriage woes and this seemed like an inevitable plot point.
It's hard to say anything in Larry's defense. Did Cheryl blow this one situation out of proportion? Absolutely. Was her flight terrifying? Seems that way. But she's alive. I suppose it was eye-opening for her and that's enough I guess because as she said -- it's everything. This was just the last straw.
I think the one thing I truly loved about this episode was how it weaved so many different things together. The dry-cleaning, to the fly-less underwear guy that Cheryl is now dating, right down to little things like Larry and Jeff quibbling over water glasses. This episode just felt flawless. It was jumbled yet cohesive at the same time.
- For whatever reason, Marty saying "I'm emotionally distraught" is infinitely funnier than if someone else had said it.
- That one exchange between Marty and Jeff about Cheryl's decaying looks was priceless. ("Terrific body." "Used to be amazing." "I remember.")
- I had to pause early on when the TiVo guy spoiled Lost for Larry. Too funny. ("Shocking!")
- Speaking of the TiVo guy (Broken Lizard's Kevin Heffernan) -- great guest stars! Kaitlin Olsen of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was back as Cheryl's sister Becky and Diedrich Bader was hilarious too as Simon.
- Only Larry could get his testicles caught in the fly of his underwear. Long balls Larry!
- The entire mint-tissues-pen scene with Glenn (2 Ns!) was great too. He's the anti-Larry only not quite.
- Lucy Lawless is still alive? (Before you answer that, yes I know it's sarcastic and no, I don't watch Battlestar Galactica.)
So what happens now? Larry only has Jeff and Richard Lewis (assuming he forgets about the fight) left on his side. I'm sure Larry will want his ten grand back from Simon, but if this really goes south... he might need it to live off of. What happens when Cheryl cleans house in divorce court? As much as it sucked, I'd love to see an episode reminiscent of the Seinfeld finale, where Cheryl recounts the horrible things Larry has done as certain memorable characters back her up in court. Could be funny if done right.