April 23, 2014

Top TV witches

by Kristin Sample, posted Oct 22nd 2007 3:01PM
The Worst Witch AOL TV released a list of the top 18 TV witches. The list is exhaustive including everyone from classical TV witches to daytime witches and BBC witches.

This list even made me a little nostalgic. After reading about Miss Cackle and Mildred from the 1986 TV movie The Worst Witch, I think I might have to check my TV listings to see if the movie will get an encore presentation in the days leading up to Halloween. I totally forgot that Mildred was played by Fairuza Balk who obviously used her Worst Witch time to develop her later role in The Craft. With those piercing blue eyes, dark hair and bright red lipstick, she really does make a good witch.

I was excited to see that the list even included some animated witches. They have Hitch Hazel from Looney Tunes and Marge Simpson. Wait, Marge Simpson? She's not a witch; she only was turned into one briefly for a Simpsons Halloween episode. Actually, Marge is the only witch included who is not a full-time witch. If I may make a humble suggestion, I would remove her in favor of another full-time witch.

Let's see... We need another cartoon witch, so how about the Sea Hag from Popeye? Also Ursula the sea witch got her start in the movies but made her way to the animated series The Little Mermaid in the early nineties. Both of those witches are way more wicked than suburban Marge Simpson could ever dream of being. But, I'll admit the hair does lend itself to looking the part of a sorceress. Wait, no, the hair is much more bride of Frankenstein.

One more thing: Why is Piper Halliwell the highest on the list of the Charmed witches? Prue Halliwell (Shannen Doherty) lands in at number nine and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) is number seven. Phoebe is the hottest. Prue is the bitchiest and therefore most suited to being a witch. Prue also has best powers and is played by Shannen Doherty, who quite possibly could be a real life witch. (That last part is still undetermined.) By the way, the description of all the Charmed witches' powers is great. I never even thought to put together that they all had completely different abilities. They are a triple-threat of sorcery, like the X-Men if the the X-Men were witches.

Anyone glaringly missing from the list? Say so in the comments.

Lora

In the final episode It shows piper getting her 3 kids off to school. I thought there were only 2 also

December 23 2007 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I can't believe that Lisa Hart was sighted for playing Tabitha in a short lived show that maybe four people watched but Erin Murphy, the REAL Tabitha was overlooked. Bad homework guys!

November 27 2007 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

My top 5 Witches
#1 Piper Halliwell
#2 Phoebe Halliwell tied
#2 Prue Halliwell tied
#3 Page Mathews
#4 Willow

November 20 2007 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

Well, witches that were forgotten. Well you've got the other two actors that played along side Fairuza Balk in The Craft. That movie was pretty cool... again it was a movie though. ((she also played in the movie, Return to Oz, as a little girl)) There is Wendy in Casper Meets Wendy, a made for TV movie. That character was played by Hilary Duff. Aunt Zelda and Aunt Hilda from Sabrina. You missed the made for tv movies Halloweentown, Hallloweentown 2: Kalabar's Revenge, Halloweentown High, and Return to Halloweentown. The whole family is a group of witches. The Cromwells.

November 13 2007 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joellet68

I grew up on Bewitched, but Willow makes my #1 anytime. Followed closely by the Charmed girls...Piper, Prue, Phoebe and Paige (in that order). Piper only had 2 kids by the way, though since we saw a lot of Chris' future version (Wyatt as well, but not as often), I guess I can almost understand why someone would think there were 3.

October 31 2007 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bblakenoel

Elizabeth Montgomery's Samantha Stephens is without a doubt the number 1 TV witch of all time. No offense to any of the other famous TV witches but magically Samantha could do virtually anything with only a twitch if her nose, something most all of the other TV witches could only imagine. She was smart, beautiful, sophisticated yet down to earth, elegant, enchanting and yes - "bewitching." She magically put ABC on the map when it needed a hit show badly and remained a top rated series for years. "Bewitched" is an "evergreen" timeless classic and so is Montgomery's character Samantha. I only wish the brilliantly talented Agnes Moorehead's Endora had made # 2!

In addition, I agree with the other posts stating Witchiepoo, Nanny, Angelique, (the animated) Sabrina the teenage witch along with other notable TV witches should have been recognized in the list.

October 31 2007 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kcbelles

Samantha Stephens is "Bewitched" - and in my opinion, was the best. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - if I had my druthers, the Haliwells would have been second, third, fourth and fifth (Piper, Prue, Phoebe, Paige - in that order). Willow would've been wayyyyyyyy at the end only because I never watched Buffy. But that's what's nice about a forum such as this - everyone gets to voice their opinion (preferably without being sarcastic or condescending).

October 31 2007 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzuka

I can't imagine how on earth Samantha Stephens won- honestly, if you're going to go for the best, there's no competition for Willow. I think Stephens was the worst choice for number one >.<

-Suzuka

October 30 2007 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

I love Paige from "Charmed"!

October 30 2007 at 1:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply