December 19, 2014

Two short-lived ABC shows coming to DVD

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 22nd 2007 3:28PM

Salvage 1When the Billy Bob Thornton movie The Astronaut Farmer came out, a lot of us were amazed how the plot sounded similar to Salvage 1, a TV movie and later short-lived series on ABC that starred Andy Griffith as the owner of a scrap and salvage company who builds a spaceship and goes to the moon. I don't think this show has been seen that much since the late 70s, but TVShowsOnDVD is hearing from a source that Sony is going to release the show (the pilot movie and all the episodes, including 4 never shown on ABC) some time in 2008.

But that's not the only DVD news that TV fans are going to be interested in...

Long before Stephen Collins was a holy man raising a bunch of kids on 7th Heaven, he was an Indiana Jones-ish adventurer on the short-lived ABC show Tales of the Gold Monkey. Collins played Jake Cutter, a pilot in the 1930s who found himself in various precarious situations around the world involving gold statues, Nazis, spies, and beautiful women. A source says that Universal is going to release a complete series set right around the time that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comes out, in May of next year.

I was 16 or 17 when the show came on, and I think I was rather disappointed in it (probably from seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark around 100 times the year before). But I'd like to see it again. It had a good cast and was a rather different type of TV show: an action-adventure period piece. I would definitely buy both of these sets.

Brent McKee

The Bruce Boxleitner one wsa "Bring'em Back Alive" about the great white hunter Frank Buck.

October 24 2007 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I semi-sorta remember Tales of the Gold Monkey. That was one of 2 Indiana Jones clones to hit the airwaves around the same time. I think the other one starred Bruce Boxleitner. Can't remember the title to that one. But I would have been like 10 when these came on. I drank alot in those days.

October 23 2007 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Salvage 1 on DVD? Did Hell just freeze over?

October 23 2007 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"I seem to remember the latter being somewhat like Brisco County Jr., but it was 25 years ago...."

It was more like Indiana Jones. Adventurer/fortune hunter set during WWII.

October 22 2007 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bart Smith

I was really hoping for KAREN SISCO.

October 22 2007 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

Right, they made it to the moon in the pilot--which was the whole problem. Where do you go from there? Nothing that came after was remotely as interesting.

October 22 2007 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CaptainAmericaHatesHippies

He made it to the moon in the movie/pilot.

October 22 2007 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Did he ever make it to the moon on Salvage 1?

October 22 2007 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

SALVAGE 1?!?! SWEET! I loved this show and tried to explain it to a friend who is 10 years younger than me at about the time ASTRONAUT FARMER was out. I'm so glad this is getting a DVD release! Not so much a fan of GOLD MONKEY, but I know some who are. This is great news all around!

October 22 2007 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

I watched both series when they aired back in the good 'ol days.

Would love to see Tales of the Gold Monkey again on DVD.

Morjana