September 1, 2014

Robert Goulet in critical condition

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 23rd 2007 6:23PM

Robert GouletBroadwayWorld.com is reporting that stage, film, and television star Robert Goulet has been in the hospital for over three weeks and is in critical condition. The star was experiencing shortness of breath a couple of months ago and found out that he has Interstitial Pulmonary Fibrosis, which is fatal.

Goulet had been in a Las Vegas hosptial when it was determined that he would not survive without a lung transplant. They don't do that in Las Vegas so he was moved to Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles on October 12. He's waiting for a transplant.

Besides a long career on Broadway (Camelot, The Happy Time) and in films (Toy Story 2, The Naked Gun 2 1/2), Goulet hosted the Bell Telephone Hour in the mid-60s and has appeared on tons of TV shows over the years, including The Tonight Show, Howdy Doody, Mission: Impossible, Fantasy Island, Murder, She Wrote, The Love Boat, The Jackie Gleason Show, and did voices on several episodes of Recess. He's won a Tony, a Grammy, and an Emmy Award.

KM Frye

Bob was an inspiration to me in 1963, at the age of 8. By 21 I had followed him onto the stage (locally, at least) and actually 'was' Lancelot in a local production. I've been singing ever since. But to respond to the person who was surprised by his condition....

Singers often develop lung conditions. Most often it comes from being forced to inhale deeply over long periods of time in allergen-filled rooms (lounges, cabarets, nightclubs), where the working conditions are often as bad (polllution-wise) as West Virginia coal mines. Imagine breathing deeply eight hours a day (two shows) in rooms where the smoke is so thick they don't need to use fog machines and you're close. Speaking personally, I have a different condition -COPD- and my doctor has told me that my 35 years singing in bars and lounges has made my condition far worse than had I been an office worker.

November 05 2007 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
albert miller

It seems ironic that a singer should develop lung problems. Whatever happens, mr. Goulet,may it go easy as possible on you.

October 29 2007 at 2:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pcjunkie

OMG Media Blog, you are sick, sick, sick .... and yet incredibly hilarious.

October 24 2007 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DENNY

MY HEART GOES OUT TO MR GOULET MY PRAYS GOES OUT TO HIM ALSO WHEN AND IF MR GOULET DOES PASS AWAY THE WORLD WILL LOSE A GREAT ACTOR HE HAS BEEN INSTRUMENTAL IN SHOW BUISNESS FOR A LONG TIME HE WILL SURELY BE MISSED GOD BE WITH YOU MR GOULET MAY YOUR JOURNEY TO OUR LORD AND SAVOUR JESUS CHRIST BE AN EASY ONE MY HEART ALSO GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND LOVED ONES AND HIS CLOSEST FRIENDS

October 24 2007 at 8:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUSAN

As a kid, I fell madly in love with Robert Goulet when he appeared on Broadway in "Camelot". I pray for his successful recovery.

October 24 2007 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Actually Goulet's first TV credit was in Canada (where he grew up though he was born in Lawrence Massachusetts) where he played "Trapper Pierre" on the Canadian version of "Howdy Doody." I'm not sure if Trapper Pierre appeared on the first week or so of the show, when the temporary host was Ranger Bob, played by William Shatner.

October 24 2007 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomB

Getting the transplant is the easy part. Recovering from such a major surgery at his age is the kicker.

October 24 2007 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

Don't forget those great college basketball fight songs he did for ESPN 10 or so years ago, funny stuff. He also did my favorite Winter Wonderland.

Good luck in getting a transplant, Robert.

October 23 2007 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
themediablog

If ever I would leave you...
It wouldn't be in Springtime.

Fall, on the other hand...

October 23 2007 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

so, you know, if you have a spare lung, I know someone who could really use one?

October 23 2007 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply