October 24, 2014

All-time scariest TV characters -- #10: Gorgan

by Richard Keller, posted Oct 24th 2007 12:00PM
The 'friendly angel' Gorgan before his deformityCharacter: Gorgan
Show: Star Trek
Episode: "And the Children Shall Lead"

Out of all the original Star Trek episodes there were two alien beings that scared the poop out of me when I was young. One was those freaky flying parasites from the season one episode 'Operation: Annihilate' and the other was Gorgan from the season three episode 'And the Children Shall Lead'.

Really, to get technical, both Gorgan and his followers freaked me out. To paraphrase Hank Hill: "Those kids ain't right." Well, why should they be "right" when they were being controlled by their "friendly angel" Gorgan so he could find a planet to control? Plus, the fashion sense of those kids was just out of control. Lord, the late '60s was just a nightmare for clothing!

What really scared me was what happened at the end of the episode. As Kirk is showing the kids' a tricorder video of their dead parents, Gorgan begins to deform. I remember thinking back when I originally saw the episode on WPIX that the effect reminded me of what happens when film gets caught in a projector and begins to burn. Before he disappeared he was so deformed that I couldn't help but to stare in fascination at his horrible face.

To this day, whenever this episode of Star Trek airs I change the channel during the last two minutes or so to avoid the final scene. Some feelings just stay with you past childhood, I guess.

#10 #9 #8 #7 #6 #5 #4 #3 #2 #1

MorbidCuriosity

Hmm. I was dumb enough to click through all 10 annoying pages and have to disagree with your analysis. Although some of these characters were very creepy, one of the most truly terrifying characters in Prime Time history has to be Bob from Twin Peaks. He gave me nightmares for weeks. His scenes STILL scare the bejesus out of me every time I watch the show.

October 25 2007 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Jay - you are correct! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0068956/

And for the record, I do possess a long enough attention span to check out all the pages.

For those of you that bitch about the advertising - just remember it is that advertising that keeps sites like this free.

October 25 2007 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Wow you must be joking if you expect me to click through ten pages to read this.

That's ridiculous. I agree with the posters above that I might need to find a better TV blog to lurk.

October 24 2007 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

Sorry...I'm not going to click on ten separate links to read this article.

Morjana

October 24 2007 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChgoSaint

I agree with the other posters... I am not going to wait for 10 separate pages to load for this, just notworth my time.

October 24 2007 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Be serious people! The beast that makes more people poop their pants than any other:

Hillary Clinton

(unless you're a terrorist of course)

October 24 2007 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Ten separate pages for ten separate entries? come on folks, I know AOL is bugging you to increase advertising, but that borders on abuse to your readers.

bad call TV Squad.. bad call

October 24 2007 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Even scarier - it's the ghost of Jerry Falwell!

As I got older, and we were watching this episode in the dorm while... "enhancing our consciousness", someone decided to fill in when the Gorgan stopped talking:

"I would have succeeded if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

October 24 2007 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I would have read this, but why should we have to go through ten pages>

October 24 2007 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Isn't that famed divorce lawyer Melvin Belli?

October 24 2007 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply