April 19, 2014

All-time scariest TV characters -- #3: Weeping Angels

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 24th 2007 12:00PM
Weeping AngelCharacter: The weeping angels
Show: Doctor Who
Episode: "Blink"

A more appropriate title for this episode of Doctor Who would have been "Don't Blink", or even "Let's Prevent Annie from Ever Enjoying the Sculpture Garden of Any Museum Ever, Ever Again. Ever."

The weeping angels were a group of statue-like creatures that "killed" their victims by sending them backwards through time to live out their lives before their birth. The angels would freeze into stone if they were seen, but between blinks or in darkness, they could move extremely quickly to their victims. To prevent looking at each other, the angels would shield their eyes, giving the appearance that they were weeping. The heroes of the episode had to avoid the angels by taking the advice of the Doctor and always keeping an eye on the villains, never blinking.

As someone who usually watches horror films, just to supply obnoxious commentary on the bad effects or acting, and is more likely to get queasy at the thought of student loans than blood, I was surprised to find myself silently peering through my fingers, too scared to move, throughout the entire episode. At certain points, I even felt my eyes water a little bit, only to realize that I had stopped blinking several minutes ago. I think I was most impressed that the angels weren't ruined by cheesy effects or bad costumes, which, to be perfectly honest, aren't exactly rare in the world of Doctor Who. Instead, everything was executed in a way that was simple but brilliant. Between the blinks of a lightbulb, the angels would make their way across the room, arms outstretched and vicious teeth bared.

To tell the sad, geeky truth, I've had a few nightmares about Daleks. Yeah, I said it was sad, okay? But there's no doubt that the Daleks are nothing compared to the angels. Look, there's even been a vote on it! The angels beat the Daleks and The Master by a huge percentage to take the top spot as the Scariest Monster of the latest Who series. The numbers don't lie, folks: Angel statues are super-creepy.

And then, as if to guarantee no one could comfortably turn their back on a statue ever again, the episode closed with this warning:

#10 #9 #8 #7 #6 #5 #4 #3 #2 #1

Dylan Hevony

i cant believe that you go that freaked out from that im a child and sat back and enjoyed but yet best doctor wh epesoide weeping angels are awesome

March 29 2012 at 6:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
evs123veazey

i luv dr who! weeping angels are my all time fav monsters EVER!!!

January 01 2012 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PinkUnicornPuff

The BEST Dr Who episode, ever!!! I've been a Whofan for over 20 years and never have I seen a show this awesome. My husband and brother (also life long fans) watched this show and agree: THE best. I hope they write more shows like this one, which are throw backs to the time when true psychological thrillers were popular.

October 28 2007 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ethan

My only complaint is that this is only number 3. I'm a nearly life-long Doctor Who fan, and I think I have seen every existing episode at least once, most of them more. My all-time favorite story used to be from the original series until I saw the 2-part Human Nature story. I thought it was impossible for that story to be topped...but then I saw Blink. I've watched that episode repeatedly, and I don't think I've seen that other 2-parter (I can't even remember its name now) since. Blink is THE BEST episode of Doctor Who EVER. I spent 6 weeks in Greece this summer, and had to pass a statue on my way to the bathroom in the hotel. I was unable to walk past that statue without staring at it, not blinking, ever.

October 28 2007 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cookiemonstr108

I still think about the weeping angles and how ridiculously scary they were/are! (only i think about them at random moments, like when i look in my mirror, i also think mirrors can be terrifying but that's another story). I watched that episode with my mom and neither of us could look away, even though i most definetly wanted to. yeah those were some scary angels.

October 28 2007 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Camille

I woke up in the middle of a dream about the weeping angels about a week after i saw the episode. I have two stone gargoyles in my living room that are behind me when I sit at my computer. It took me about ten minutes to convince myself to go into that room and not move the gargoyles to someplace I could watch them.

October 25 2007 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cathode

Yep, one of the all time best episodes of any series ever. Subtle and psychological is scarier than blood and guts any day.

October 24 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply