October 31, 2014

All-time scariest TV characters -- #6: The Peacock family

by Richard Keller, posted Oct 24th 2007 12:00PM
Scully and Mulder travel to Home, PA and freak me out in the episode entitled 'Home'Characters: The Peacock family
Show: The X-Files
Episode: "Home"

Here is the total number of full episodes I have watched of the X-Files: one. It's not because I thought that the writing was poor or the acting was worse than what's normally seen at a 5th grade play. No, it was because the episode I saw freaked me out so much that my initial thought was 'If they're all like this I'd rather watch paint dry'.

You can probably guess what episode I'm talking about. If not, let me refresh your memory. The episode was entitled 'Home' and it aired during the fourth season of the series. It started out fairly benign: Scully and Mulder are brought in to investigate the discovery of a newborn corpse with numerous birth defects that was buried in a shallow grave. As the episode went on, though, it got increasingly disturbing as we found out that the newborn was the result of generations of inbreeding from a family who wanted to reamain "pure".

What really gave me the creeps was the introduction of the inbreeding Peacock Family ... their mother in particular. Dear old mom lost all of her limbs during an automobile accident and now seemed to live on a rolling piece of board under the bed. The condition didn't stop her three sons from making a new member of the Peacock family with her.

You know, just writing this is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

In the end, two of the brothers were killed, but a third escaped with his mother. The final scene implied that, despite the loss of his kinfolk, the remaining Peacock son dutifully continued to attempt to sire another member of his family with the mother. As the screen went dark and the credits rolled I remember lunging for the remote and looking for anything remotely funny to get all of the images I saw out of my head.

From that point on I avoided The X-Files like a plague, flashing right past it in search for something light and fluffy. To this day I can still see the scene in the darkened farmhouse where the brothers are rolling their mother out from under the bed. When that happens I look to find an episode of Family Matters to numb my brain.

#10 #9 #8 #7 #6 #5 #4 #3 #2 #1

Aaron

Yeah this episode freak me out, and i saw a repeat at like 4 in the afternoon for the first time! it was so scary! Anyone else think that they looked like the Geico Cavemen, That might i ad an equally scary show.

October 29 2007 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jensenmr

I have the ingrained association with the song as well. I don't know if it followed through the entire series, but I know at the time, this was the first episode that had to carry an extra "Parental Discretion Advised" warning at the beginning in order to air.

October 26 2007 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
srah

Oh man. Just hearing the song "Wonderful, Wonderful" gives me flashbacks.

October 25 2007 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
summer

it's a great episode, but soooo difficult to watch/think about.

October 24 2007 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Re-becca

*Throws up*

October 24 2007 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessie

I remember this episode too - I watched it alone at my house. I was utterly creeped out by the episode. Good choice for scary characters. When I read the link "Peacock Family" I knew who you were talking about and what show. So far these are the only ones I recognize so far.

I am going to curl up in the fetal position under my desk in my cube for a bit. Maybe even wash my hands so I can't suck my thumb. Regression therapy works for me. Thanks!

October 24 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I remember this episode... and now I am just as uncomfortable as I was then... Thanks!

October 24 2007 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Yeah, I had the misfortune to watch this episode over at my parents' house with them. Talk about an awkward silence when the great reveal came...

This didn't stop me from watching the X-Files but it did make me wonder what the heck they could encounter that would be freakier and sicker than these boys...

October 24 2007 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply