December 20, 2014

Cane: Brotherhood

by Kristin Sample, posted Oct 24th 2007 12:27PM
Alex on the phone.
(S01E05)
Last night on Cane things continued to heat up for Alex Vega. He had some close calls with the law. How much longer can he cover his tracks with his involvement in Quinones's murder? Plus, Senator Barnes had to resign because he was found with a male hooker. (Is that the right term? I think Joe Samuels helped would say so.) Guess there's no ethanol deal. Bad news for Alex. Good news for Cane fans. We get to watch him try to clean up this fine mess.

And the good news continues...Santo is back! Other characters keep pointing out that he is an ex-gang member and former convict but despite this criminal past, he is the only character on the show who seems honorable. Alex and Santo struck a deal early in the season (he would help Alex if Alex helped bring his family over from Cuba) and Santo has held up his end so far. Alex spies through the sugar cane. He did murder Quinones which shows he is capable of violence but he did it for Alex's family and in a way, for his family too. Santo connected with Alex because he views Alex as someone who will do anything to protect his family.

The best scene tonight was when Santo wrote "Besame el culo." on the paper laid out for his confession. I loved the "Oye Como Va" playing in the background as he proudly told the detective the English translation. I also loved the slow motion shots as Alex and Santo left the police station as free men...for now.

But what's with Frank? In the beginning he seemed against Alex in every way. He was shaping up to be the villain of the show. But last week, his sentiments toward his adopted brother had changed (so much so that he broke off his affair with Ellis Samuels). However, this week they had steamy fake TV sex on her staircase. I thought he had flipped back to his old self but after the late night "booty call" he just left her again. I almost (and I repeat almost because Ellis will prove to be malicious at some point) felt bad for her when he walked away so dismissively after she tried to patch things up. I still maintain that she has real feelings for him.

Later on in the episode Frank even corroborates Alex's story as he, Alex, and the detective (whose name escapes me) watch football. Clearly he did this in part to get more clout with Alex when it comes to future business decisions. Perhaps he is waiting to gather more information before he attempts a coup de etat for control of Duque Rum.

I can't wait to find out what will happen with Katie (Alex's daughter) and her older hottie "boyfriend." At first I was unsure what an older much cooler guy would want with a teenage girl (what is she like 15 or something?). But the video camera explains a lot and at least absolves him of being a perve. Next week we will probably see this sex scandal come to a head. I find myself not as excited to see how Alex handles it but how his wife Isabel will handle her not-so-virginal daughter.

Who is your least favorite character on the show?
Alex13 (9.9%)
Frank17 (13.0%)
Henry16 (12.2%)
Jaime11 (8.4%)
Isabel5 (3.8%)
Pancho4 (3.1%)
Amalia1 (0.8%)
Rebecca13 (9.9%)
Katie29 (22.1%)
Santo22 (16.8%)

Vickie Anderson

Re your question of our "least favorite" cast member. You didn't give us enough names. ELLIS is the worst.
She also seems to be a very unlikely romantic match with Frank who is a gorgeous man. She's too heavy and looks older than him as well....and not nearly as "pretty".

This is one of my favorite new shows that started in Fall.
Other than Ellis....I think EVERYONE is wonderfully cast!
I especially can't imagine any other couple as mom & pop.

December 12 2007 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nermie

I'm crazy about this show! I can only hope I have the kind of loving relationship Amalia & Pancho share one day when it's my time. Rita Moreno is gorgeous.

I'm not sure how I feel about Ellis. Sometimes she seems like she's out to get the Vegas and is using Frank but then she's outraged at her father's involvement in the abduction (and death) of Lucia and his implicating her in the land acquisitions . . . And after tonight's episode, I'm wondering what kind of history she and Alex share.
Anyhoos, does anyone know the title of the piece Ellis was playing on the piano when she was interrupted by a surprise visit by Alex?

November 14 2007 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheri

All of the men in this show are WELL CAST and believable. Rita Moreno was perfectly cast as Ponchos’ wife.

THE WEAKEST LINK: The one person that is TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE AND POORLY CAST IS POLLY WALKER, PLAYING ELLIS SAMUELS. You ‘NEED’ Ellis’ role for the show to continue, but you NEED TO REPLACE POLLY A.S.A.P. There is nothing believable about her poor attempt at a southern accent. She occasionally sounds British and it throws me from the story line every time. IF I get past that, there is the HUGE DISTRACTOR that there is NO CHEMISTRY between Frank and Ellis. NONE. STONE COLD CRAPPY ACTING on Polly’s part is RUINING YOUR this show.

The wife of Alex Vega needs more meat to her character; hint, think ‘Su Ellen’ and how her character developed in Dallas. Make her character memorable.
Santo needs to move up in rank as trusted security guard. Thief turns a new leaf.

Leave the Quionos plot GONE.

I love this show and want to see it work. I would hire more ‘plot’ writers or professional business dealers, etc…to give this show more intriguing, faster moving issues, and resolutions. Do not drag out a scene like the Quionos thing again,… you’ll lose followers.

October 30 2007 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheri

Leave the Quionos plot GONE.

One more thought: Alex Vega's son's fiance is the next weakest link. It's not working for me.

October 30 2007 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mildred

Wow I made a mistake! you asked for the least likeble and I voted for SAnto, NOWAY ! he is my favorite.

October 26 2007 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Ker

Once Football and Baseball are over I think CANE's Rating will go up and so will SHARK.

October 26 2007 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristin Sample

I really hope the show stays on too. I think CBS should change the time though. 10 p.m.? It's too late for this show and it puts the show in competition with Boston Legal. Not only does Boston Legal have the stellar cast that Cane has but it has a more cohesive story and tons of funny moments. I don't think the time slot is fair. Smits vs. Spader? CBS is going to have to make Smits way more engaging. Cane does have Dallas/Dynasty potential though.

Also, someone asked what song was playing while Alex and Santo were in the car. It was Santana f/ Rob Thomas "Smooth." A lot of the songs were Santana songs on Tuesday night. That's another good thing about Cane, they can take a different Latino performer each week and showcase his/her songs.

October 25 2007 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jerry

Hey, CBS: Be patient. This is really the best show of this new TV season. The numbers will improve. Jimmy Smits is great, and the conflict with the Samuels will continue to keep everyone interested. It's always good to have someone to dislike. The bodyguard/driver, Santo, is a diamond in the rough. He is a very good actor and getting him more involved in the story lines and expanding his role would be a good idea. You need to show not only his tough guy character, but his good side as well. Keep it up. Again, be patient.

October 25 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mildred

I agree this is the best show of the new season, I hope CBS will have patience, because I know it will pick up in the ratings. I still think Santo is great, he is my favorite character and a great actor too, just watch his eyes and body language when he was interrogated by the police.
Awesome

October 25 2007 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

We got around to watching Cane last night - Fantastic episode. I really think this is the best new show of the season, comparing it to Bionic Woman, Private Practice and Dirty Sexy Money. Watching Jimmy Smits as the walls starting caving in on him, feeling the suspense during their Prisoner's Dilemma, it was all very well done. Hopefully it gets picked up for a full season before too long.

October 25 2007 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply