July 30, 2014

Dancing With The Stars: Week 5 results

by Erin Martell, posted Oct 24th 2007 12:30AM

Melanie Brown and Maksim Chmerkovskiy

(S05E11) Tom opened the results show by noting that this week of Dancing With The Stars was meant to be sexy, but ended up being full of drama. I was disappointed that the footage of Marie fainting was shown again (and again and again). Nothing terrible happened to Marie, but does that justify playing the footage several times more? I thought it was insensitive. Tom added a teaser for the Jennifer Lopez performance (for which I was totally psyched), and warned viewers that "nothing can be taken for granted."

As usual, Monday's performances were summarized. Mark set out to entertain, but didn't impress the judges. Jane was thrilled to be compared to Edyta, who is only in her 20's. Cameron was pleased with the intense chemistry that he had with Edyta. Jennie joked that while she might not have Bruno's support, Len was on her side. Sabrina's hot and heavy Rumba earned her another ten. Helio had a setback, but tried to laugh off Len's dentist comment. Maks dorked out about getting to meet the Spice Girls. Marie's collapse was saved for last, and additional footage from during the commercial break was shown. Not cool. In an interview, Marie explained that she occasionally gets winded and passes out in response to stress. She was an amazingly good sport about all of it. I saw a promo for Entertainment Tonight, and they actually made her watch it again on-camera. Morbid much?

The leaderboard read as follows: Marie Osmond and Mark Cuban were tied for 7th, with 21 points; Helio Castroneves was in 6th place, with 23 points (his lowest score so far); Jennie Garth came in 5th, with 25; Cameron Mathison and Jane Seymour tied for 3rd, with 26 points; Sabrina Bryan was a close second, with 28 points; finally, Melanie Brown was in the lead (for the first time ever) with 29.

Len remarked that this season was "topsy-turvy," since the same couple had never performed the encore twice. Melanie and Maks' Samba was picked this week. This was one of the few instances this season where the highest-scoring couple was tapped for the encore. The couple's spicy Samba went off without a hitch.

For her first performance, Jennifer Lopez performed "Do It Well" from her new album, Brave. J-Lo was accompanied by several of her own back-up dancers. The routine featured mostly hip-hop moves, and it really got the crowd going. Baby bump watchers didn't get much luck; Lopez was draped in some sort of poncho-type outfit. She even got out on the dance floor and did some of her old fly girl moves.

After the musical number, the audience got to sound off on Week 5. Alfonso Ribeiro (can we please get him to do the Carlton Banks in Season 6?) and Heather Mills were both scared during Marie's fainting spell. Like a lot of the audience members, Heather thought it was a joke at first. Some audience members were underwhelmed by Helio's routine. Florence Henderson thought that Jennie was terrific, as did Tori Spelling. Tori made a good point at the end of the segment--if someone like Mel can wind up in the bottom two, it's anyone's game.

The first phase of the elimination round put Sabrina and Mark on the safe list, along with Melanie and Maksim. I was sure that Marie would be let off the hook first, after her scare on Monday night. Her absence from the safe group had me worried at first.

Backstage, Samantha discussed the fainting incident with Marie. Marie handled the questions well, taking time to thank her fans for the concerned e-mails. Samantha observed that Helio and Julianne's scores were declining, and wondered aloud if they were going in the wrong direction. Great investigative journalism there, Samantha. Helio joked that race car drivers only go to the left.

Next week's group routine will be choreographed by Christian Perry, who performed his own group number this week. The rock and roll performance ("Dance, Dance" by Fallout Boy) looked like an extreme, modern take on swing. It was astounding--those flips and lifts were really impressive.

Jennifer Lopez sang "Let's Get Loud" (from On the 6) for her second performance. She was joined by 8 of the show's professionals, including Alec, Derek, Julianne, Karina, Mark, Edyta, and Cheryl (I didn't catch who the fourth male was). This was easily my favorite musical performance of the season, and possibly all the seasons combined. The pros did an incredible job as well.

Speaking of the pros, the professional cast got to weigh in on the difficulties of choreographing routines each week. Julianne called the process life-consuming. Edyta said that she listens to the music at least 50 times before choreographing, and Maksim does the choreography on the fly with Mel during practices. Derek emphasized the importance of taking risks. Kym said that she choreographs to show off her partner's strengths and hide his weaknesses. Maks proudly mentioned that his choreography centers around the relationship between the man and the woman, as opposed to stunt moves.

In the second part of the elimination, Cameron and Edyta were declared safe. The camera cut to a sad-looking Marie.

After a forgettable set of backstage interviews, a segment about training and day jobs was shown. I actually liked this topic, since scheduling and priorities keep being mentioned this year. Everybody's holding down several responsibilities: Helio is racing, Mel is starting her Spice Girls tour, Sabrina is performing regularly, Marie has a new album, Cameron has his soap, Mark is managing his empire, Jane is painting and acting, and Jennie is raising three daughters. Cameron admits that if anyone slacks off now, they will be out of the competition soon. Each performer believes that they have an edge over the the other dancers.

Next, Jennie and Mark were singled out by the hosts. Jennie was put on the safe list after a long pause; Mark and Kym were in the bottom two. There was another cut to a worried Marie Osmond, which had me extra-worried. Following the break, Marie and Jonathan were finally declared safe. Shame on the show for keeping those two in suspense so long! Helio and Julianne were safe as well, which put Jane and Tony in the bottom two. Say what?

Len followed up Bruno's honesty last week by stating outright that he preferred Jane's class and elegance to Mark's entertainment factor. As many of you predicted, Mark and Kym were sent home. Mark admitted to having lost 30 pounds as a result of doing the show (kudos) and gave the cast, crew, and judges heartfelt thanks.

Now that Mark is gone, I'm seriously concerned for my favorite couples. Anyone could end up in the bottom two next week, and any of the remaining couples could make it to the finals. Sabrina is the only dancer who hasn't had a major setback so far. Everyone else has either been in the bottom two or had some significantly low scores. It's her competition to lose. Who do you think will dance their way into the finals?

Brett will be back next week for the couples and group dances. Until then, check out AOL's extensive Dancing With The Stars coverage, which includes photo galleries, a live chat (Mondays & Tuesdays, 7:30pm ET), and the chance to support your favorite couple by voting in AOL's poll!

Was it right to re-air the footage of Marie fainting?
Just once, for recapping purposes.1342 (42.5%)
Yes; Marie was fine--no harm done.583 (18.5%)
No--it was tasteless.1229 (39.0%)

Paula

I think it was a terrible injustice that Sabrina was voted off on 30 Oct. I think that she and Mel B are by far the best dancers of the group. I don't know what was wrong with the judges! I think they put the idea in the publics mind that Sabrina wasn't any good and didn't deserve to go on. She was the first one to get a 30! How anyone could vote for Jane or Marie after their performances Monday is beyond me. Not that I have any thing against them. But be realistic! I'm am really disappointed in the judges and the people who obviously didn't vote for her. I really don't know what to say.

October 30 2007 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
calli

I don't understand why anyone ever expected that a show with viewer voting would be about picking the best dancer. Even So You Think You Can Dance acknowledges that the winner is for the favorite dancer.

Most of us aren't equipped to judge who's best. We aren't educated in the fundamentals of dance, we just know what we like. We vote for the ones that entertain us the most.

So Sabrina dances hip hop in her career; it doesn't give her Jane's elegance or Marie's charm. She also doesn't provide the same interest as the ones who started off as non-dancers, because watching their progression and seeing how much they improve is uplifting. There's a reason the non-dancers keep winning the trophy.

Having someone who's as consistently good as Sabrina keeps people watching and interested during the first half of the show, I think. Having others who turn into dancers over the course of the show is what makes the whole thing magic.

I really think the blend of different backgrounds and experience levels is a good thing, and I don't mind the Marios and Sabrinas being in the competition, especially when the Emmitts and Apolos take home the mirrorballs. I think it gives the non-dancers someone to take aim at. People run faster when they run against someone who is faster than they are... it's a similar kind of incentive.

October 26 2007 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Many people found Samantha to be worse than ever this week from her attempt at humor with Marie- did you think fainting would get you 10's or asking Mel B who she thought would be bottom 2. If there is anyone with as strong a distaste for Samantha as some others, please look into the The Anti-Samantha Harris Hosting League.

October 24 2007 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ORKMommy

I thought it was funny that Marie's first comment when she came to was "Oh Crap!". She's a very funny lady. Not the best dancer, but very entertaining!

October 24 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
don

i was suprised tom did not think it was funny, and terrible that they showed it over and over.by the way who is host of america's funniest video's. good for the goose. don.

October 24 2007 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Well the professional dance reminded me more of the Lindy Hop than swing. Sure it had alot of modern touches to it and that goes well with the modern song. I'm not an expert but I bet the Lindy Hop is an off shoot of the swing anyway. (I just know what I learn on SYTYCD.)

Marie should have been in the bottom two but Jane isn't far behind her. They are the weaker two of the bunch and how great is it that we have women as the strongest dancers this year? Makes me wonder if they were trying to get weaker guys this year or it's just the luck of the draw. I'm pulling for Jennie Garth even though I don't think she's the best. I do enjoy Mel B but I can't stand that Cheeta Girl.

The only contestant that I thought had an unfair advantage was the wrestler chick. She had had years of formal training. Jane has had alot of training too. Those who have done dancing along with their singing acts aren't at that much of an unfair advantage other than they have learned chorography and probably have some rhythm. They have never had to keep the shoulders back and hold the head just so etc. They just do more modern, less formal dance and it doesn't have to be perfect. It's the years of formal training that required the pointed toes, straight arms, shoulders back, head up, etc. that give you an advantage.

October 24 2007 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom E

I am happy to see that the majority of people sympathize with Maries unfortunate incident. She still represents what is good and morale in America and Im very proud of the way she handled the fall with grace and dignity. To those who tried to paint her fall as some ploy to gather votes, shame on you. It really isn't fair to place your values on one such as Marie. Way to go Marie and I am still pulling for you, but I know regardless of the outcome you will handle it with great dignity.

October 24 2007 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mia

That's the one thing I hate about this competition. It's not always who's the best dancer. It's who everyone has pulling for them. Marie doesn't have half the talent of the other dancers but because everybody remembers her from another time of life, she'll probably make it longer. What a crock.

Posted at 10:58AM on Oct 24th 2007 by Jersey

I remember Marie from LONG ago, and I think she's doing a great job. She's a great talent, and does an excellent job. She's beautiful. I hope she goes right up to the last and even win! That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Mel B or Jennie won it. Mel is kickin butt and taking names. I think the ladies are dancing all over the guys heads this go round.

October 24 2007 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jersey

"As for who's going home next week? As much as I would love to see her stay, I think it may be Jane's turn to go home. She's a wonderful dancer and looks amazing (I hope I look like that when I'm her age). But I just don't think she has the fan base that everyone else does." - K.B.

October 24 2007 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patsy

Ah, I suspect that Marie's fainting was an Oscar performance to protect her from getting voted off.

I've seen how she likes to manipulate and be the center of attention in many other shows, performances, etc

It was fake, and she LOVED all the sympathy, attention, and continuance it won her.

I say, "Boooo, Marie"