September 14, 2014

Life: The Fallen Woman

by Richard Keller, posted Oct 25th 2007 7:02AM

Charlie Crews in Life

(S01E05) Suspect -- Where is Officer New Money?

Charlie Crews -- Detective New Money, actually.

Forrest Gump. As soon as they showed that feather drifting down to the ground, accompanied by that soft piano music, I immediately thought of the Tom Hank's hit of the 1990s. Then I thought that Forrest and Charlie were a little bit alike. Both have that innocence to them, but they are also quite worldly as well.

Then, a dead woman with angel wings came crashing down from the sky into a parked car (did you see the reaction of those bystanders as she crashed? Good stuff.), and the illusion abruptly ended. And so, another episode of Life comes to pass.

This week we had another fine episode that built upon the relationship between Crews and Reese. Plus, it looks like we were introduced to a new adversary/informant in the form of Roman. Well, at least I hope Roman returns, because he's quite fascinating. To paraphrase Charlie, when we look at Roman we are looking right at the devil.

As we saw already, Roman seems to know everything about Crews and Reese. For Charlie, the information Roman gives isn't really new and could probably have been gotten by reading the news and watching that damn documentary about him. For Dani it's more of a shock as Roman seems to know plenty about her addiction, the drug addict she fell in love with, and the meetings she attends. As Dani is pretty close-lipped about her personal life she's obviously pissed about how he got all of that information.

Since he's a federal informant Roman probably had certain avenues he used to obtain that information. That pisses off Reese more than the fact he practically knows her bra size. She had a right to be ticked off, as the federal agent who took Roman away from the police station told Reese, in no uncertain terms, that she didn't know the way the real-world worked. I guess, as a police detective, Reese thought there were good guys and bad guys. The federal agent, on the other hand, sees plenty of gray.

I believe that's what Charlie thinks as well, as he learns more and more about the cover-up that put him in Pelican Bay. I didn't think we would learn anything else this week as nary a word was mentioned for nearly the entire hour. Then, Roman contacts Charlie and tells him to ask his partner -- his former partner -- about the Los Angeles Bank robbery. In that heist four people were killed and $18 million was discovered missing. It seems that Stark knows more about where the money went then what he previously told his former partner. More on that next week.

More and more I'm seeing comparisons between Charlie and Reese and Bones and Booth from Bones. Reese (Booth) is definitely the one who likes to keep her feet firmly on the ground when it comes to her reasoning. Crews (Bones) tends to see things under a slightly different colored light. Charlie and Dani seem the most similar to Temperance and Seeley when they have their car conversations. While not as spirited as the conversations Booth and Bones have they have the same feel to them.

Yet, even though they are totally different personalities, they are starting to come together. The biggest sign of this is Reese's spouting of a few Zen statements. When first caught, Dani is a ticked that she said it. But, when she says something Zen-like a second time she shrugs it all off. Maybe that's because she's beginning to see what Charlie likes concerning Zen.

Meanwhile, Charlie is beginning to stir a heaping pot of hostility into his persona, courtesy of Dani. There were two examples this episode where he used some of that hostility on a few people connected to the attack of Constance. One was where he dislocated the informant's finger to get him to contact Cuddy, and the other when he went to beat the snot out of Cuddy. Don't know who Cuddy is? He's the guy who was in Constance's office last week when Charlie stopped by. Seems that he wanted the same amount of money that Charlie got in his settlement. It looks like that was a one shot deal for Charlie, so Cuddy beat up Constance, and then was summarily beaten by Charlie.

Which brings me back to Constance. If this character is really going to New York, I say good riddance. She was really beginning to tick me off with her whining that she couldn't have Charlie because she was married. Well, Boo Hoo! Maybe this move to New York will get past her feelings for Crews so she can be less annoying.

Quick talk about this week's mystery. It was good, but really didn't do anything for me. I was focused more on what was going on in the lives of Crews and Dani this time around rather than what criminal activity occurred. I pretty much felt that Roman was the man who killed the victim in the first place because he was so damn evil.

Finally, I now get what everybody's saying about the resemblance of Damian Lewis to Steve McQueen. When he looks in the mirror after beating up Cuddy he looks and sounds just like the man who starred in The Great Escape all those years ago.

Next week of Life ... Charlie confronts Stark about a 15-year-old bank robbery.

Would you like to see Roman in more episodes
Definitely, as he is a great adversary for Crews and Reese148 (58.5%)
Sure, but don't use him too much as he's not all that interesting82 (32.4%)
No. If you've seen one Russian mafioso you've seen them all15 (5.9%)
More Roman on 'Days of Our Lives'? Sure!8 (3.2%)

TV Critic

I love LIFE! What a great series. I look forward to seeing what happens every week. Keep up the good plot lines.

October 28 2007 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mario

i think it's a bit of a cop out. Logically, Constance would have been raped by Cuddly, hence him hiding out. Constance wouldn't want ppl to find out, hence her not telling anyone.

Crews finally admits his feelings to Constance but then Constance would refuse it, telling Crews not to confuse love with pity.

October 26 2007 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fred

This is definitely the best new series this season, I love it!

Another great episode, and while the case may not have been the most exicting ones, it doesn't matter because it's all about the journey!
And what a great one that was.

This show has a brilliant writing, and there's always many quotes I love. Here's I think my favorite one this time:

"You can't steal nothing. Nothing does not exist. To steal something that doesn't exist it… Wait. Wait! If it doesn't exist, then how could it be something? Ahh! I hate that, don’t you hate that!?"

October 26 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

I adore this show as well. I look forward to my Wednesday nights for this treat. The two main characters just get better and better

October 26 2007 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bas

Hurray - glad you also see the the Steve McQueen thing.

As to the kinda-lame crimes, who cares? I can see crime investigation every day of the week (and every hour of the day when it comes to Law & Order reruns). The thing I love about this show is the character's development. Crews & Reese play off each other so well - they are the best partners on tv right now.

LOVE this show.

October 26 2007 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

I thought the scene between Charlie and his lawyer finally showed some emotional connection. I hadn't seen any chemistry between them until this week, not that I want her to stick around.

Personal pet peeve: I speak a little Russian. The accents in this episode were horrible, particularly the way they pronounced the names. I know it's a little thing, but Russians don't say "Leena" or "Roe-man", they say "Lay-nuh" (only the boss lady got it right) and "Rah-mahn". And who was the chick who played the surviving Russian "Natasha?" I know I've seen her in a movie or something, but it just wouldn't come to mind. (I get an image of her acting petulant and rolling her eyes.)

Has anyone figured out why Charlie ran back to tell Roman that it was nice to meet him after he was sprung? I thought we would get a pay off, but I don't think I ever saw it.

Can Charlie trust the info he gets from Roman? A guy like Roman wouldn't give out information for free. He would have to get something in return. I think it's much more likely that he would give bad info just to further mess with Charlie's head.

October 26 2007 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Actually, five people died in the bank heist, according to that newspaper clipping on the Set-Up Wall.

October 26 2007 at 7:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Two Deadwood cast-offs on a fantastic NBC show!? This man's in heaven.

I loved Roman and when he turned around, I marked like my pre-teen wrestling fan days. I love that as evil as he is, he has eyes and ears everywhere and for Crews to uncover some of the mystery of his 12 years in prison, he may have to play ball with the "devil."

How are the rating for this show? It seems as if it gets consistent viewers and is critically acclaimed but then I see people begging that it doesn't get canceled. I figured it was doing fine and that we'd at least get a season's worth before any worries about its future would pop up.

October 25 2007 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MT3

I love this show. Why doesn't NBC advertise it??

October 25 2007 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

I like the little touches of the show. Like the little routine with Crews placing the angel figurine on the dashboard and Reese summarily tosses it out the window. Then Crews later places another angel on the dash and secures it with industrial glue. That was hilarious. Had me literally LOL'ing for a few moments, which is something I wouldn't be able to say about 98% of the other shows on the tube. The Adam Arkin scenes, and the moments Crews has with his seemingly disposable cars add additional humor to what could have been an overly heavy-handed drama.

The mystery this weak was weak, but all the crimes from the previous episodes have been as well. It's a testament to the writers and performers that this show is remains one of the best on television in spite of that fact (actually it's an opinion, not a fact). This show was great even with the continuation of the silly Constance/Crews storyline, and the complete absense of Arkin this episode.

October 25 2007 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply