August 1, 2014

Marie Osmond says CA fires caused her to faint

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 25th 2007 2:01PM

OsmondThe other day I had something pretty shocking happen to me. Literally. I got a bad shock in the bathroom. I touched the light switch with wet hands and got a pretty good zap. (I'm OK, thanks!)

And you know what I blame for the electric shock? The recent stock market losses.

I bring this up because of Marie Osmond's explanation as to why she fainted on Dancing with the Stars the other night.

Osmond says that she has allergies and that the horrible fires going on in California right now caused her to faint and hit her head. Isn't it enough that she's been dancing a lot? Couldn't she just use that as the reason? I'm sure that takes a lot out of you. Or how about that she's been on some diet (didn't I see a preview of The Insider or Access Hollywood that showed her eating celery?) that made her lose 20 pounds? Or maybe the stress from her marriage ending, or the anxiety that she gets performing live (she has spoken about this before)?

I can empathize with anyone who has allergies or is affected by their environment, but it's kind of an odd thing for a celebrity on a reality show to blame a natural disaster that has cost billions of dollars and destroyed hundreds of homes for a fainting spell.

What do you think caused Marie's fainting spell?
Dancing so much1082 (13.4%)
Losing weight1146 (14.1%)
Stress from divorce144 (1.8%)
Anxiety/nervousness1262 (15.6%)
California fires155 (1.9%)
All of the above4315 (53.2%)

BJ

Marie and Donny are both willing to lie just like they're willing to manipulate the Judges and their viewers so Marie can get sympathy votes to win DWTS!

After watching week after week with either Marie, Donny, or both Marie and Donny portraying Marie as a "victim", really, I don't really believe she fainted. I think it was a desperate act Marie was willing to resort to to get her sympathy vote. Why? Because in an interview right after her supposed "faint", her own partner stated he thought Marie was pulling another one of her stunts she regularly pulls on him. She admitted to doing same.

I've witnessed people fainting. Unlike them, Marie simply closed her eyes shut before falling instead of rolling her eyes back into her head like those I've witnessed who've actually fainted. Furthermore, in the interviews I have seen, those surrounding her said she woke up in only a few seconds. Most people are out awhile when they faint, and usually only smelling salts strategically placed underneath their noise will awaken them in just a few seconds.

With Marie being the creator of the 13 DWTS dolls (I think she said their were), they have more to gain in Millions of dollars woth of royalties by keeping Marie on the show.

Do I believe she actually fainted? NOPE!

November 21 2007 at 3:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

Marie is fantastic. Anyone who says anything negative about her at this difficult time in her life is an insensitive jerk. Period.

November 06 2007 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mojoco

Marie said she didn't know what caused her to fainted. My heavens, all you had to do was turn onto any tv program and you heard her explanation. She said that it could be stress, she said she was going through a divorce. She is raising eight children!!! As far as her dieting. She (along with most women over a certain age) are trying to watch their weight. She already said she was on Nutri-System. (I don't remember anybody saying anything about other people who have lost weight???? They are others. Check out those tapes of the first week.) People, when you start to watch what you are eating and you are exercising as much as she is doing--you will lose weight!!! As far as Marie not looking as to how someone may have remembered her-well, if you haven't seen her in 20-25 years, she has change (We all get older!!!) But, if you are someone who has followed (not stalker like) her career she has aged and looks the same. Marie is a sweetheart if you have ever met her. She is real.

October 31 2007 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Marie's sagging career caused her to "faint". Some else called their incident a "wardrobe malfunction". She's get more press these last two weeks than the last two years. Alas, it won't help. (And she can't dance!)

October 31 2007 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz Crasten

Hi! I've been a Marie Osmond fan since she released "Paper Roses" in 1973 and I'm hoping she wins the "Dancing With The Stars" competition. I was shocked when she fainted on last week's show and I'm glad she hasn't been eliminated from the competition yet.
Anyway, I remember Marie saying that she's asthmatic and she didn't have her inhaler with her the night she fainted. Asthma was definitely the culprit for her fainting spell, combined with stress from her recent divorce and even losing weight for the competition. Being one of the oldest competitors on the show had nothing to do with it. Doesn't anyone remember old-timers, like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers? They weren't too old to dance, LOL!

October 31 2007 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noreen

I suppose all that jumping around like an idiot in front of the judges after her dance routine didn't help matters.....

October 31 2007 at 7:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

I would truly like to know how old you people are who show no common sense in your comments. First, I am not a doctor and I am sure none of you are that made negative comments. Secondly, Marie Osmond looks now very much like she did in the "good ole days." For then, we did not live in a society of excuses for everything and Marie clearly relayed this in her statement when she said that anxiety causes her to stop breathing. So, for those of you who have nothing better to do than try and start problems for other people, get a real life! If we could only go back to the "good ole days" life would be a much better place. You go Marie!

October 30 2007 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linamarta

Southern California has alerts all the time in reference to bad air days and those days bother people with allergies, especially the allergy of asthma. Add the crazy fires to the scene, and it can effect your breathing for several days since the smoke is an irritant internally for those with allergies and asthma. So, even if she breathed in the "fires" of Southern California, and flew to a different place to dance, her breathing may stillbe effected and being too shallow re all the other considerations as well, she faints. I do not see how this is so hard to understand. Why are people making such a big tado out of this??? Have you nothing better to do after breathing good clean air???

October 30 2007 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Helen

Marie Osmond as well as the rest of the Osmonds are a very nice Family. Marie has 8 children and she has been through a lot..why can't you people out there cut her some slack? Who would not be exhausted with the pace that they are going though on "Dancing".

I hope that Marie will continue with the "STARS" as she is a joy to watch.

October 30 2007 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anony

Is it just me, or doesn't she look like a brunette Dolly Parton in the article photo?? OK, minus a few bust sizes.....

October 26 2007 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply