July 31, 2014

AMC and Sci Fi have new scifi shows planned

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 26th 2007 9:32AM
sci fi channelSci FI Channel has recently announced that they've ordered a new one-hour dramedy entitled Warehouse 13, described as "part The X-Files, part Raiders of the Lost Ark and part Moonlighting." Word is the show should hit cable/satellite waves next summer. Hm... cable/satellite. Cabelite? I mean, come on, do we really call cable/satellite-only shows as hitting the "air waves" anymore? Sorry, anyway...

Jane Espenson is one of the featured writers for the new show, which no doubt excites the hoards of other Buffy fans out there like myself. And for Farscape fans, Rockne S. O'Bannon is also writing for the series.

ComicMix has an interesting comparison of the Warehouse 13 idea and a "Warehouse 23" from an RPG companion book. If you ask me, Warehouse 13 immediately reminded me of the 1980 movie Hangar 18, though only when I initially incorrectly remembered it as Hangar 13. Oh well.

AMC also has an interesting new show in the works, called 99 Stories, set in a new, hi-tech high rise building with, yes, 99 stories. A group of people visiting the building are forced to complete challenges, one for every floor. Those who complete it successfully move up to the next floor. Wouldn't it make more sense that, to escape the building, you're moving down toward the exit?

I wonder if the idea of "99" stories means the network not only hopes the show retains interest to continue it for about four seasons, but it will call the end of season four, truly, the end of the series. I'm down with that.

[via Cynopsis]

Jen B

I'm wondering if the creators of the game, "99 Rooms," are in on the show, because that's the first thing I thought of when I heard about AMC's premise.

October 26 2007 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Warehouse 13 sounds like it has potential. Having Rockne S. O'Bannon and Jane Espenson involved can't hurt. Like everything Sci Fi puts on the air I'll give the show a try. Hopefully it won't be a great disappointment like most of the network has given us in the last few years.

October 26 2007 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christy

love the shows they have had recently!!

October 26 2007 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

To me that sounds like The Lost Room, which Sci-fi should have picked up and made into a show. Would have been better than Painkiller Jane, Flash Gordon and whatever lame super hero Sci-fi will think of next.

October 26 2007 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

In what I read about the series Warehouse 13, there'll be a romantic tension between the two people assigned to guard that warehouse and they'll be going out to track down the artifacts to bring back to the warehouse.

To me, that sounds like the basic premise of those Librarian TV movies starring Noah Wyle.....

October 26 2007 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

You forgot something important. Mr. Moore from BSG will also have something to do with Warehouse 13. He has talked about it before.

October 26 2007 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply