April 17, 2014

New trailer for season seven of 24 - VIDEO

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 26th 2007 2:04PM
Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer in '24.'
The video for the new season of 24 premiered yesterday. It first aired on the bigscreens in NYC's Times Square, became available online shortly after, and aired nationally later in the evening during game two of the World Series. A lot of you have probably already seen it, but may be wondering: hey TV Squad, why are you reporting on this a day late? Well, this sat forever on the "assignment desk" and to be honest, I think we were all afraid of incurring the wrath of you readers for spoiling the fun. Well I stepped up and here's your warning: read on with caution, because after the jump there is a trailer and I do talk about the season seven plot. There. I said it.

Here we go. Jack is in Washington D.C. on trial for his "crimes" and CTU no longer exists when Day 7 kicks off. Then, as expected, comes the twist.

TONY!!

He's back. He's bad. I love it. While the preview doesn't elaborate, my best guess is that Tony blames the good ol' US of A for Michelle's death. Not to mention the fact that Jack left him for dead. For those that are royally confused by Tony's return, don't forget that when we last saw him in Day 5, the clock wasn't silent at the end of the episode where he was stabbed with the syringe. So the possibility for his return has always been left open as the silent clock generally signifies a death on 24.

In a bit of a Die Hard 2 rip-off, Tony is hi-jacking planes like it's his job. Wait... it is his job now. I love the set-up though. Last season tried to make it personal for Jack by introducing family members that no one really cared about. This season, same intended goal, but based on just the preview it already works better because it's personal for Jack and us since Tony is such a fan favorite. Smart. Anyway, cue Jack Bauer kickin' ass and takin' names and check out the video to see how the rest of the season starts out.

Nightwng

I have always loved 24. However, due to the area I live, Fox wasn't available here, until 2004. So, I missed the first 3 1/2 seasons, of which I'm trying to catch up on.

I hated Day 6, the way they injected Jacks family as villains. Wasn't it bad enough, that we had to witness Nina's betrayal? The only thing I can hope, is that Day 6 was setting up future plots, which might show Jack go completely rogue. Or maybe have him in very deep-cover op, where he's trying to find the people responsible for Terry's (and their unborn child) death. I agree with the opinion regarding the "whatever it takes" scene. It absolutely does NOT belong. We already know Jack will do that, regardless. I have never heard a command given to an op on the show, other than "do what it takes", period. Why not delve into other aspects of politics and current events, like school shootings, etc. They could make it so the investigation of a kid firing weapons lead to some radical US based/funded Nazi-ist group.
This is a show that can have a very long life, due to the fact that any character can be killed off, with no adverse effects (i.e., Edgar- one of the most loved supporting roles), as long as Fox would get smart, improve it's writing staff, get rid of the junk dialogues, and keep hollywood's influence out of the show. They've even hinted at the possibility of Jack being killed off.
I would make one last point:
Keep in mind, I'm still catching up on season 2-4.

Although there has been info. on who did what, there remains one unanswered fact: Someone in a high ranking position of power or influence has been able to plant spies within the govt. ; Jamey, Nina, a sitting president, one of his appointed advisors, and others. Whatever happened to the group who wanted to control Palmer? How did a spy become president (Logan)?
I hope Day 7 will reveal the real mole, and future seasons can develope more meaningful plots. I for one have had enough of the same old "mole in the system" plot. It's time for something refreshing and original.

December 26 2007 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
selena 24

okay this is what happend I read that tony was coming back and i was so happy beacuse i think he is so hot and now that i heard he's going to be a bad guy i just...i wanna know what the plot is and what they have in mind for jack and how tony fits into all this and if michelle has something to do with it. After all she was his life and i miis her so much!!! I just cant wait!!!!

November 04 2007 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
selena 24

Okay this is what happend I read that tony was coming back and i couldnt belive because i love him and hes so hot but now that hes going to be a bad guy its just ...i wanna know the plot of what there going to put njack threw this time and how tony fits in. i cant wait!!!

November 04 2007 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cobracomand

Chloe and Bill Buchanen were there, but the fact that they can't be shown much in the trailer tells us that any context for these characters would give away major spoilers. I am convinced that CTU is not gone. It was squelched by Congress and went "Black" or even went underground A-Team style, and their airliner attack is not what it seems. Chloe, Bill, and yes, Tony are working on something big and I believe they are all still wear "white hats," as they say.

October 30 2007 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belly

Where is Chloe in season 7? Coming off a season where this character was sorely underused and misused, I was hoping for a little something more for my favorite character in the show. All I got of Chloe in this entire clip was a 1 second shot? I'm already disliking this new season.

October 29 2007 at 2:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chameleon

'Secondly, *cough* Die Hard 4 *cough*.'

I love this show but well said

October 28 2007 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

I will support the spirit of CC's conjectures only this far:

Much of what he contrives at least sounds more satisfying than what ends up panning out on the screen.

As I have watched six seasons unfold, I have always based my own predictions on the assumption that the producers surely have everything mapped out. Yet for all the surprises and drama we see on screen, the writers themselves openly, repeatedly admit to making things up as they go along. With a spy genre like 24's whose story lines demand complexity and intrigue, that writing approach is nothing short of careless.

I'm not one for paranoid conspiracy theories. But I'm also not one for amnesia attacks, long lost twins and god help us, forbidden office trysts. Leave the soapy cliches for what they program the other 23 hours, and give us something that respects the mythos of the show. Build on what we've seen so far. There's a lot to cull from 24's history.

This is a great show with an exciting concept. I wouldn't be watching and I wouldn't be bitching if I didn't love what I've seen so far. We'll see what happens in season 7.

October 27 2007 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

C C I love you.

What would be every 24 post on TV Squad without our beloved court jester?

I can't wait for you to include more conspiracy theories into your own theories. You didn't do aliens and Illuminati yet. Come on. You can think of something, I'm sure.

And don't forget the Nazis. They all survived in the antarctic and there are a lot of ways to get back to power. Maybe infiltrating the US government via rogue double or triple agents like Tony Almeida? For sure I say!

October 26 2007 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LFS

The writers seem to be depending on every bad soap opera cliche to carry the season. What's next? "Tony" is really Tony's evil twin? (In that case, he'll need a goatee.) Tony is really Jack's brother/son/aunt/sister? What the trailer says to me is that the show has jumped the shark or at least needs new writers.

October 26 2007 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
afganaf

Guys, what does he say during 1:42 to the ransom, "i'm gonna need you to wear this"??? hope someone hears it better than me

October 26 2007 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply