October 23, 2014

Chuck: Chuck Versus the Sandworm

by Will O'Brien, posted Oct 29th 2007 11:41PM
Chuck: Chuck and the Sandworm(S01E06) "But first, I could really use some pancakes." - Laslow (Evil Genius)

Chuck is one of those shows that's hard to get a handle on, but I'm fairly certain that it doesn't know where it's going either. It's got pretty good geek culture cred, but the lack of a larger story arc is getting a bit old. The plot jumped around so much that I couldn't tell if Laslow was actually a bad guy until he started quoting War Games.

You'd think that Chuck would have built up more trust for Sarah by now - sure, she's a CIA agent, but even a fake date involves spending time together. Despite the feel good wrap up during each scene, their relationship just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Unless something happens between these two soon, Chuck will never again get to go on an actual date.

Laslow's character was pretty lame. He was so jumpy that it was hard to put a finger on him. Chuck's pretty gullible, but I don't think I'd watch a movie with a guy that threatened me with a water gun in the parking lot. Hiding him in the store was pretty questionable. Despite seeing employees in the theater after hours in most of the previous episodes, Casey works there. What happens when he shows up for work?

I definitely prefer the impressive fight scenes to the girl fights that Chuck had with Laslow. I lost a bit of respect for Chuck when he didn't even try to slug Laslow when he started driving the car from the passenger seat. I mean, there's wuss fighting and then there's being a total weenie.

The Goldfinger reference was totally off. Chuck was right when he fingered Laslow for lying about the ending, but Bond didn't even diffuse the bomb. Random dark suited CIA agent hit the off switch for him! Still, ending the timer on 007 seconds was a nice homage to Bond.

I loved it when Chuck challenged Sarah to reveal something real about herself to him. This time it seemed like Sarah was trying extra hard to appeal to his geek side. After all, what guy wouldn't want her to show up in a not entirely accurate portrayal of Princess Leia's slave bikini? Again, I'd have liked to see Chuck push her a bit harder to connect with him. The trust issue is going to get a little old if all he does is apologize at the end of every episode.

Once again, Morgan proved an amazing asset to the show. The lesson about becoming a man with Captain Amazing was hilarious. The shirt tucking bit was priceless. Morgans speech to the interview guy was an incredible effort at friendship, but he might have been a bit more successful if he'd simply informed the HR guy that Chuck had a death in the family.

Given the lack of a decent seasonal story arc, I'm hoping that things might change in the next episode. Chuck apparently flashes on himself at Stanford. I have my doubts, but if they don't blow it and wrap things up in a single show, things might get a bit more interesting. Chuck is a funny, entertaining show, but it needs to start tucking its shirt in.

What sandwich would you take to a desert island?
Roast Beef128 (28.1%)
Turkey Bacon Guac102 (22.4%)
Reuben66 (14.5%)
Grilled Cheese159 (34.9%)

Bruno Santos

Tanxs

November 02 2007 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bruno Santos

At the end episode 6 when chuck is talking with morgan saying sorry ther`s a music playing something about dice... i dont now... can anyone tell me the name of the song please.

Tanxs

November 02 2007 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

Have to agree with some others--one of the things that appeals to me about this show is the fact that is DOESN'T have an overall storyline. I can just watch week for week without havingt o keep up with a million different little plot lines.

When did it become assumed that an overall story arc was necessary for a show to be considered good?

October 31 2007 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

I loved that line from War Games - hee!

And as for the direction of the show, I think the changes are not to the idea itself, but how the characters are changing. I love how different it is from Jake 2.0, even though it's kinda essentially the same idea.

October 30 2007 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noor

Ah come on - it included a reference to the OC - the whole Dice playing in the background while Chuck gets there just as time expires??? Ryan and Marisa season 1?? Anyone?? No love... Ok... back to work

October 30 2007 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shark

Sarah's and Elle's costumes were the best parts of this episode.

October 30 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joy

I loved the OC reference and I didn't really think they were seriously trying to pull off the same scene. I agree that Josh Schwartz probably thought it was a little funny to throw it in there.
To me, there are a LOT of similarities to the OC writing-wise. There are a lot of comments that Chuck makes that are very Seth Cohen-y. The "should I bring a light jacket" and "stakeout mix tape" comments from the last episode were lines that could very easily be coming out of Seth Cohen's mouth.
And my initial thought when I saw Laslo last night was that he was acting almost EXACTLY like the character Oliver Trask from season 1 of the OC.

I personally like this show and I think if you take it too seriously you will only be disappointed. Just have fun with it.

October 30 2007 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

@Gordon Werner -- I think Sarah's costume would be very easy to pull off. I spent a few minutes thinking about pulling it off of her and let me tell you, it required almost no effort.

I vote thumbs-up for the Varun-free review, by the way.

October 30 2007 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vacelts

I like that this show doesn't have some overarching plot that I have to think about. After Heroes and Lost, it's nice to have a show that I can tune into weekly just for a fun episode.

Loved the being a man episode. Are you a tucker?

October 30 2007 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maxwell

Robert - I think it was supposed to comedy; a tongue-in-check homage to the OC's version of the same scene...and in that way I thought it funny and a sign that Schwartz, like his best characters, is not taking himself too seriously.

October 30 2007 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply