October 2, 2014

American version of Spaced to be developed

by Brad Trechak, posted Oct 30th 2007 11:56AM
spacedAccording to Variety, an American version of the Simon Pegg/Jessica Stevenson Channel Four Brit-com Spaced is being developed for American audiences. It is being adapted by Will and Grace alumni Adam Barr and to be exec-produced by McG and Robert Green. The BAFTA-nominated show is about a man (Simon Pegg) and a woman (Jessica Stevenson) who pretend to be a married couple in order to rent a cheap apartment in London. Simon Pegg went on to star in movies like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

I've seen episodes of Spaced and liked it. It has that frenzied storytelling style that is seen in Pegg's later movies. It also has a lot of pop culture references and it helps that Pegg plays a comic book artist and fan.

Adam Barr is probably trying to duplicate the success of The Office, particularly since Spaced similarly has a strong cult following. However, adapting British shows is always a crapshoot. For every successes such as The Office and Sanford and Son, there are many bombs. Does anybody remember the Fawlty Towers adaption called Payne starring John Larroquette? I didn't think so.

Stevie

spaced was the greatest tv show ever and this news horrifies me. that's all.

October 30 2007 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

No. NONONONONONONO.

Grrr...

October 30 2007 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

What profoundly disturbing news. "Spaced" is one of the funniest shows EVER (how could it not be, with the Pegg-Wright-Stevenson connection?). But the situation in itself--boy and girl pretend to be couple in order to share an apartment--is not inherently funny. It's the Pegg & Co sensibility. And the Englishness.

What a disaster. I will NEVER understand why the major networks here can't just show the original British shows, when they're so successful on the niche networks. Why does everything need to be reworked? Networks all over the world manage to broadcast American shows without recreating them, and the public is able to handle it. Do the networks really think most of us are too damn stupid to understand the British shows? Or can they simply not make enough money off licensing existing shows?

October 30 2007 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Now, I LOVE Spaced, but wasn't there already an American version of this show called "Ned & Stacey"? It starred Debra Messing and Thomas Hayden Church and it sucked?

Keep in mind, for every Office or All in the Family or Thick of It (despite not getting picked up, it was great) that works, there's always a Coupling, a Teachers, an IT Crowd, and soon (probably) a Spaced that fail miserably.

October 30 2007 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David F

Whats next? League of Gentlemen? cripes, don't give them any ideas.... shutting up now :)

October 30 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rivethaus

Really... no, they need to be stopped this can not be done, They weren't there at the beginning. They don't know how good it was! How important!
UK Version = Ewoks
US Version = Jar Jar

October 30 2007 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett2007

I don't have hig expectations for this, but hopefully it'll be as good as the original like the US remake of The Office which is actually BETTER than the UK original). I just hope they do a better job than the just plain awful US remake of Coupling.

I'm not sure what's going on with the US remake of the IT Crowd, but I'm hoping they don't mess that up as well.

October 30 2007 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candice B.

No. No, no, no. I agree with the above comments in that Spaced was perfect as it is. The Office is a one-off and I love both versions, but Spaced will not work over here.

October 30 2007 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz Renninger

As an American who absolutely loves Spaced, I have to agree that this is really obviously a shit idea. A show as original as this cannot (and should not) be dumbed-down for a broader audience, which is what I imagine they'd end up doing. I can't even fathom "Hello Brian" without Julia Deacon's drunken lilt.

If it's any consolation, it probably wouldn't last long.

October 30 2007 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mackenzie

Forget about Payne, remember how badly NBC dropped the ball on "Coupling?"

October 30 2007 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply