April 23, 2014

Robert Goulet dead at 73

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 30th 2007 10:05PM

GouletWell, this is unfortunate news. We told you last week that singer and actor Robert Goulet was in Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, sedated and awaiting a lung transplant. Now comes news that Goulet passed away this morning.

Goulet had a really long career on stage, TV, and in film. He gained fame playing Sir Lancelot on Broadway in Camelot in 1960 with Richard Burton and Julie Andrews. He went on to many other stage productions (Carousel, Meet Me In St. Louis, La Cage Aux Folles, The Pajama Game, and others), movies (Toy Story 2, Atlantic City), and TV shows (everything from The Love Boat and Murder, She Wrote to Mission: Impossible and Howdy Doody). In the past several years he enjoyed spoofing himself, in movies such as The Naked Gun 2 1/2 to talk show appearances to stints on ESPN and those weird Emerald Nuts ads. He sings the theme to Jimmy Kimmel Live too.

Goulet suffered from Interstitial Pulmonary Fibrosis. He leaves his wife of 25 years and three children.

CHUCK

SORRY I FORGOT TO PUT THE YEAR 1967 OF THE
GREAT CHICAGO SNOW STORM ON THE COMMENT I POSTED ABOUT BEING STRANDED WITH MR. ROBERT GOULET. NICE PERSON. IF YOU WERE THERE PLEASE
E-MAIL ME. THANK YOU.

CHUCK
CLT6744@AOL.COM

November 03 2007 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CHUCK

DURING THE GREAT CHICAGO SNOW STORM I WAS
WORKING AT THE FLYING CARPET MOTOR INN ON
MANNHEIM ROAD NEAR O'HARE AIRPORT. WE WERE HONORED TO HAVE AS OUR GUEST FOR SEVERAL DAYS
MR. GOULET. I WAS HAPPY TO MEET AND TALK WITH
THIS GREAT MAN. PLEASE E-MAIL ME IF YOU WERE THERE. NICE MAN. HE WAS STRANDED ALONG WITH
HUNDREDS OF OTHER GUEST AND MOTORIST.

CHUCK
CLT6744@AOL.COM

November 03 2007 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

So sad! He seemed to have such a great sense of humor about himself--those Emerald Nuts ads being a great example. A big star who was comfortable enough to laugh at himself--that doesn't come along very often.

R.I.P., Bob.

October 31 2007 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dbedwards

Mr. Goulet was a 1960's icon who I enjoyed watching on television as a kid. He always had a sparkle in his eye, was ever so debonair, and had a wonderful voice. I remember an episode of the Lucille Ball Show when he
appeared impersonating himself. Great fun! He was always a good sport and a classy guy. They just don't make them that way anymore. Will miss him.

October 31 2007 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Robert was one of the greats.

October 31 2007 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BMH

My Mom Sachiko, a long-time fan of Robert Goulet will be sad.

October 31 2007 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

R.I.P

October 30 2007 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

Now who will mess with my stuff when I doze off at my desk?

This dude really seemed to enjoy life, and he didn't take himself too seriously, which is always refreshing.

October 30 2007 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

It seems he was in good spirts before he went to the hospital a few weeks ago joking that when they put the tube down his throat not to wreck his voice.

Very sad day.