July 25, 2014

Boston Legal: Hope & Gory

by Paul Goebel, posted Oct 31st 2007 9:40AM

Recycler of old storylines(S04E05) "It's not everyday you encounter compelling characters, is it?" - Patrice Kelly

There's been a lot of talk about the rhetoric that Boston Legal has concerned itself with lately. It seems a lot of you have an opinion on the political views taken by the show. In an effort to "reach across the aisle" let me point out something that I'm sure we can all agree on...Boston Legal has some of the most original storylines on TV.

Personally, I am hard pressed to think of any show wherein a character asks one of the stars to advise her on how to be found "not guilty by reason of temporary insanity" before committing the murder. This episode had me on the edge of my seat from the very first scene.

For all Alan's protestations, he sure followed instructions when he got in the courtroom. It's refreshing to see Alan so passionate on a case where I am totally on his side. The temporary insanity defense is bull and has been ever since the Harvey Milk trial. I'll pause for a moment to allow some of you to Google.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Paul Dooley play a judge on Ally McBeal? I'm pretty sure he had a different name but this is the second time I have seen an actor from another DEK show in a different role. My feeling is that when you cross over your shows and their subsequent spinoffs, you have got to keep things straight.

As for the case, I have a hard time blaming the town for wanting sex offenders gone. The storyline reminds me of an episode of Picket Fences in which a similar plotline occurred. In the end, the new resident ended up killing himself (instead of being murdered) when even Douglas Wambaugh wouldn't take his case. I understand the point being made here, but as a parent, I prefer to err on the side of caution and if a few people have to be sent packing to keep all the children safe, so be it.

Thank heaven for Carl Sack. He was able to come up with the perfect solution by looking at the case with a non-biased point of view. In other words, being a good lawyer. Sack is quickly becoming my second favorite character on the show just for his awesome head of hair alone. If he and Denny go head-to-head and a toupee joke is made, Sack takes the top spot.

I'd like to comment on the scene between Alan and Lorraine, but unfortunately I fell asleep shortly after it started. I really have a hard time mustering up sympathy for a character like Alan, who spends a lot of time and energy bedding beautiful women and then suddenly tries to make it seem like some kind of pathological problem.

Aside from the Winningham storyline, which was wisely spread out over more than one episode, this particular offering was a disappointment. Maybe next week will be better. After all, hope springs a kernel!

Which DEK show is your favorite?
Boston Legal135 (68.9%)
Boston Public10 (5.1%)
Picket Fences21 (10.7%)
The Practice15 (7.7%)
Ally McBeal15 (7.7%)

lj

"As for the case, I have a hard time blaming the town for wanting sex offenders gone." "I understand the point being made here, but as a parent, I prefer to err on the side of caution and if a few people have to be sent packing to keep all the children safe, so be it."

There comes a point where being a "concerned parent" opens the door for all kinds of discrimination. He wasn't a threat to children, and the conviction against him was vacated.

For anyone to watch this episode and to feel anything but compassion for this man and anger towards the way he was treated, shows a great flaw in character and a truly selfish nature.

You may prefer to "err on the side of caution", but I would much rather make myself aware of the facts, before condemning someone to a lifetime of hardship and prejudice.

Oh well, as long as the children are safe.

November 25 2007 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miriam

last night's episode was my last. it was blatantly anti-semitic. james spader rants in the courtroom and the script conveniently has no place to fit in an opposing viewpoint. i'm tired of it.

November 07 2007 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I missed last weeks show, which was to take place in Middleton MA if anyone taped it please let me know.
Thanks Jim

November 06 2007 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barb

In the balcony scene at the end of the show, what was the saying, something to do about corn, that Denny butchered?

November 04 2007 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

The song at the end of the show was called "Walk With Me" by Other Desert Cities. It is a great new band out of Seattle. This could be the start of BIG things for them. Check out their full album on iTunes.

November 03 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rvermi

I'd like to find the name/singer of the song that played in Oct. 31st episode also.

November 02 2007 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Anyone know the song playing at the end? Why ABC doesn't simply list the music for each episode with the summary I'll never know....

November 01 2007 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

by far this was the best episode of the season. The only thing that would have made it perfect is if Bethany would have popped in.

October 31 2007 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIMI

We enjoyed the episode -- and totally disagree with any notion that it is alright to ostracize an INNOCENT* person just because it will make some other members of a community feel safer or more comfortable. This could easily serve as camouflage for outright class or racial discrimination.

*The fellow did not commit murder; and, as a teenager himself, had consensual sex with another teenager. A lot of male teenagers across the country would be banished from society, using your logic!

October 31 2007 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Jones

Well Washington was never a child molester ... he was for a time, a rapist but when that was over turned the town still didn't want him there and someone even killed him ... Child molestors? Hell yes, keep out ... Rapists? Perhaps. Innocent citizens? No.

It certainly seemed like the Picket Fences you mentioned, of course that go a whole lot more interesting when the molester in question turned out to be Judge Bone's son.

October 31 2007 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply