October 23, 2014

Pushing Daisies: Girth

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Oct 31st 2007 9:02PM
Pushing Daisies
(S01E05) "Tell Ned I love... his pies." - Olive

This Halloween-themed Pushing Daisies episode has been one of my favorites so far this season. We learned more about Ned's past and we discovered who Olive used to be while being entertained by a magical and mysterious storyline that was reminiscent of stories and movies such as Sleepy Hollow.

Pushing DaisiesThis week's Young Ned scenes were heartbreaking and clearly explained one of the main reasons why Ned doesn't have many friends and why we don't see his family members much. I felt sad for him when he got no letters and packages and even sadder when he got that highly impersonal pre-printed postcard saying his father moved. The most pivotal Young Ned scene was definitely when he dressed up as a ghost and dropped by his father's new house only to discover that the latter was now happily remarried with two kids. Young Ned's heart was crushed forever. I can barely imagine the distress and sadness the kid went through when he saw that his father did love kids... just not him.

Each year on Halloween, Ned goes back to his old house and lies where his bed used to be. Aww... I hope Ned buys back that home one day especially since it meant a lot to him. Thanks to his scenes with the aunts, we saw how the two are really opposites that attract (one thinks Ned's father was a good man when the other says that he was a jacka**). Vivian had really nice words to say to Ned, words that helped mend old wounds.

Ned may not have told the whole truth as to why he hates Halloween, but this ordeal helped him think of a way for Charlotte to see her aunts. I don't know if it was because of Vivian's joy while giving candies at 2 a.m., but Lily seemed rather quick at lowering her gun. Could it be that she felt that the ghost was no stranger?

Pushing DaisiesAfter seeing this episode, I think Olive is definitely my favorite Pushing Daisies character. I love her spark and smile. "Girth" was definitely an Olive-centric episode where we learned a lot about her, including that she used to be a professional horse jockey! What an unusual job for a woman like her. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised at the jobs people have in the dream-like Pushing Daisies. I couldn't help but smile and even laugh a bit when Olive jumped on the bed after winning one round against Chuck. Olive and Chuck finally faced off and shared some screen time, during which they had to bond. They could probably be tagged as frenemies.

The case of the week not only hit home (Olive was in danger) but was also kept us a bit on our toes. I wasn't expecting her to die but I wondered if the other jockeys would die before they caught the killer and I also changed my theory on who the killer was a few times (JJJ, one of the jockeys, the mother, etc.). It could even have been a ghost! As Chuck said, if Ned is able to revive the dead, one could think that ghosts are real.

Other tidbits of interest:
  • Where does Chuck get the money to pay for these fashionable clothes she wears? She can't use her credit cards and a pie marker assistant may not provide enough to wear that type of clothing!
  • Olive kissed Ned after he rescued her and got a slap in the face when he put her down and rushed to find Chuck.
  • Ned learning about the pies by seeing one of the strawberries turned bad as it touched his tongue.
  • "We see what we want to see." - Vivian
  • "Things change. I grew up." - Ned to Chuck and vice versa
  • Emerson "calling" the money to ask it if it cared.
  • Ned kept the wooden arm from last week's episode.
Who is your favorite character?
Ned148 (23.2%)
Olive177 (27.8%)
Emerson156 (24.5%)
Chuck121 (19.0%)
Lily7 (1.1%)
Vivian13 (2.0%)
None or other15 (2.4%)

A Viewer

There is no show on TV quite like "Pushing Daisies." I watched the pilot when it first aired, liked it a lot, but never watched the next four episodes until just this past week. They were really good, for the most part!

Olive is a really fun character to watch, probably because Kristin Chenoweth is such a great actress. However, Emerson Cod is my personal favorite character. His cynicism and disgusted attitude are always good for a laugh. On the other hand, Ned is sometimes a bit dull, and Chuck gets more and more annoying as time goes on. The aunts are more interesting than I'd expect, but still sort of superfluous. And Digby the Dog? All I can say is he's pretty well-trained.

November 10 2007 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

This is one of the best an innovative shows on TV. Everything has a meaning and purpose. The color is fantastic. My daughter even picked up on the Mother's house being painted red and I said its because she's mad. I enjoyed the humor with the arm and yes Kristin could be a horse jockey. She used to ride horses! I'm glad this episode fleshed her out and that she and Chuck bonded. She also looked so adorable in Ned's arms. There difference in size exemplified. I also loved Ned freaking and dropping her.
But the sweetest scenes had to be learning about his past and he playing ghost in printed sheets (Digby too!) and where did they find that carpet with the cowboys and indians on it. That was awesome!

I having a wonderful affair with Pushing Daisies!

November 02 2007 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Winning an Emmy is a joke, it's not the funniest show on TV, not by a long shot. Then 30 Rock won? Proves my point again.

But New Adventures of Old Christine returns midseason.

November 01 2007 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Yes, @LK, I recognized Barbara Barrie immediately--and that was my reaction, too: "It's Barney Miller's wife!!"

I was also pleased to see Hamish Linklater, the brother from "The New Adventures of Old Christine." What happened to that show, anyway? It won an Emmy and got cancelled, or something?

November 01 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

these is the best episode so far, love the interaction between olive and chuck (olive tone down a little anoyingly cute chuck for the best), and it surprise miself the fact that i found miself wishing that ned kiss olive back!!! nice prince charming rescue, but soo sad seen him go to chuck after and leaving olive all alone!!! :(
I discover that to my olive is the best part of the show, brings humor and singing LOL, the episodes that have more olive are the best (the other ones are good too, but olive brings somenthing to the mix that te other caracters doesn't)

November 01 2007 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elle

Anybody else recognize mom as Barney Miller's wife (and also the grandma from 'double trouble' - a nifty cheesy-bad show in the 80s about identical twins. I admit to liking that show very much, and it starred Katey Sagal's younger sisters.

I knew it was mom because she clearly was angry about her son's "death", but not really grief stricken like one might imagine - so of course he was alive.

Using "Old Christine"'s brother was a stroke of casting genius.

With so many good quirky actors and actresses in the world, how, oh how, do people like Brad Pitt make it so big?

November 01 2007 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elle

Both aunts thought he was a jacka@@ - only one aunt is blunt enough to say it first-time asked.

The other has a veneer of politeness.

LOVE THOSE AUNTS. I didn't think I would. But I do. They are precious.

November 01 2007 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TK101

This is my favorite new show of the season, with Big Bang Theory and Reaper placing 2nd and 3rd. I can't see why people think Chuck is annoying - I adore her. Olive is terrific as well, but Chenoweth is always fantastic in any role.

This was a great episode, and really did well to tie together the humor, (melo)drama, and love story. There are no elements of this show, IMHO, that need to be tweaked or made better. It makes me smile like no other show on TV.

TK

November 01 2007 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

joe.m: Interesting take on the aunts, but I think their backstory was brought up in a previous episode. They really are sisters.

November 01 2007 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I almost gave up on this show, didn't really like the last 2 eps, but I'm glad I watched tonight,really good story.Kristen Chenoweth was on the Late Late show w/Craig Fergeson the other night and I was amazed at how tiny she really is. I haven't seen her in a lot of other things so it was surprising. For that reason, I can believe the job as a jockey.Also, she looked really great in the long blond hair tonight.

November 01 2007 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply