April 20, 2014

Joss Whedon returns to TV and takes Eliza Dushku with him

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 1st 2007 8:30AM
joss whedonRejoice, fans of Joss! According to the Hollywood Reporter, he is returning to TV with a new series, starring Eliza Dushku, called Dollhouse. The series is being done by Fox and already has a seven-episode commitment. I've learned from reading other articles that Angel producer Tim Minear is also involved with the project. Presumably the show will start in Fall 2008, but this is unclear in the article.

The premise sounds interesting and I could see how Joss and crew could easily make it one of those "must-see" shows. There have been several shows attempting to copy his formula (such as Smallville or Veronica Mars) but there is only one Joss.

Considering how terribly Fox treated his last television venture Firefly, one would be concerned about the future of this project. However, good fortune and a strong fan-base followed that series after its cancellation leading to the movie Serenity. If they're smart, Fox will take that into consideration. If they're smart. Yeah, I know. Here's hoping.

MrRoarke

I can't believe everyone has picked up on the possible problems airing this new show on Fox and yet missed the most obvious question:

why didn't Whedon + Dusku + Minear = Faith TV Series?

I'm sure this question must have been raised at Joss + Eliza's lunch meeting, so does this mean that if even the creators are no longer interested, that a return to the Buffyverse on TV is now officially dead?

November 06 2007 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I certainly don't want to get all negative, but wonder if they considered taking it to Sci-Fi Channel or HBO or Showtime before Fox, people are being cautious because Fox has burned Sci-fi fans time and time again. Its not just "Firefly", its "John Doe", "The Lone Gun Men", "Wonderfalls", and "Tru Calling". Among others, ever since "The X-Files" ended its run, sci-fi on Fox has been killed. Why Fox keeps buying sci-fi shows they don't intend to support when these shows would be popular on a network like Sci-Fi Channel or even Showtime is just odd.

November 02 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Don't be so negative about it being cancelled! Belive in it, and maybe it'll survive! Like Tinkerbelle! And you never know, maybe Fox has learned it's less and now knows that cancelling shows is wrong.

November 02 2007 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

I normally wouldn't complain about the blog posting like the rest of 'em. But in this case, when I clicked on the link to read the article about Joss, I was redirected to a message warning me that I had spyware. I don't believe it, I don't have spyware. So that makes me suspect the source of the article and be slightly annoyed that I have no (easy) way to find out about this show. :-(

November 02 2007 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Great newspost mentioning a "premise" and then not giving it.

Why not just post a link when I have to read the most interesting part of the news someplace else anyway?

Really bad blogging. Really really bad.

November 01 2007 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

Matthew: you give me hope.

November 01 2007 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smiley

In related news, Dollhouse on the Fox network has been cancelled. 4 of the 7 episodes will air in random order without notice.

November 01 2007 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

As has already been said, it's not fair to paint FOX with the stroke we did a year ago. They've got Kevin Reilly at the helm, his boss is his partner in crime back from the FX days and we all know what Reilly did at NBC. This is a great coup for Reilly and an even greater opportunity for Joss. He's working with Dushku again on an interesting concept at a time when similar concepts are doing well and he's got a network head who's displayed a willingness to be patient in the past. After all if he hadn't, "The Office", "Friday Night Lights" and "30 Rock" would have been canceled first year.

November 01 2007 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

Interesting news...but next time, could you say what the premise is instead of making us go out to another site and then come back?

November 01 2007 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

@#$@%#^$&%*^^&$%! That's all the cursing of unbeliveable surprising joy. This is the last thing I would have expceted from Joss Whedon. I thought he was going to focus on movies and comic books now. And I thought he had such bad feelings for Fox to work with them again. When I first read this I thought he was the creator of the show, re-reading it it implies he might just be a producer. Either way though, the return of Eliza Dushku? She's been MIA from the movie and television screen far too long. The only concern, Fox has a nasty reputation for cancelling shows, even when they do well in ratings. "Tru Calling" being a perfect example.

November 01 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply