August 29, 2014

My Name is Earl: Our Other Cops is On (parts 1 & 2)

by Paul Goebel, posted Nov 2nd 2007 11:58AM

Emmy winner Jamie Pressly(S03E07/S03E08) Crazy ho! - Earl Hickey

Seeing how the first Cops episode was my personal favorite I was psyched to see another one. I love seeing all the gang back together again; one-legged girlfriend, now-deceased kidnapping victim, throat cancer survivor, gay Kenny and the addition of Billy Gardell as Officer Hoyne was a smart casting move.

The great thing about these kind of episodes is that they seem like a bunch of random jokes and scenes strung together documentary style but when it's over, you realize that an intricately woven plot has just unfolded.

Unfortunately, the reunion of Mike O'Malley and Billy Gardell brought on flashbacks of Yes Dear. I kept expecting Anthony Clark to show up playing another unconvincing straight guy.

Every once in a while, it's nice to be reminded how much of a scumbag Earl used to be, not to mention funny. At the same time, I enjoy seeing how his circumstances had a lot to do with his actions. I mean, being married to the craziest woman in Camden County can make even the best man go bad, unless, of course, he's trying to keep a low profile due to his witness relocation.

I'm sure there were some viewers who asked themselves, "Is it really funny to make jokes about 9-11?" In this case, the answer is yes. When the butt of the jokes are the flag-waving reactionary douchebags whose lives were unaffected by those events, it's completely appropriate. This episode reminded me of every piss-ant business in Los Angeles who increased their "security" to make their employees feel safer. I'm sure the Starbucks in Burbank was high on the list of terrorist targets.

In case any writers of Earl read this blog, I'd like to request more stripper cat fights. That was a really, um, funny scene. Yeah, funny.

When the heat-vision camera was introduced, I knew it would be used later but I didn't expect to laugh so hard and feel so guilty about it. It's one thing to laugh at a crotch joke but multiple crotch jokes with a visual payoff is disturbingly hilarious.

So, in the end, we learned that Catalina had to work two jobs to pay alimony to her immigrant ex-husband, Son of the Beach was canceled because Tim Stack contracted Lyme Disease and how Patty ended up with a really short daughter. Okay, none of that is true but I did have a craving for Chinese food and corn dogs when it was all said and done and if that doesn't say "God bless America," I don't know what does.

Who is your favorite guest character?
Patty the hooker115 (23.4%)
Gay Kenny160 (32.6%)
Tim Stack155 (31.6%)
One-legged girlfriend61 (12.4%)

rfkiii

The only douchebag I can see is the author ooff this article.

November 08 2007 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dadburns

I look forward to "Earl" every week. There is always one line in every episode that leaves me choking with laughter. In "Our other Cops is on" it was Joy and Earl in the backseat of the police cruiser, when Earl explained how the cops had got a confession out of him or as he put it "put a confession IN me!". As the realization of how this was done dawns on Joy; "Oh Snap! Now you know why I confessed all that stuff on our anniversary!"
Oh, my... It took almost two heartbeats for that to sink in and leave me dyin'! I had suddenly realized what Earls anniversary present must have been!

November 05 2007 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

This episode (and the one last year) reminds me of an early '80s Burt Reynolds movie. Cannonball Run, anyone? Easily the worst episodes in the series.

And please keep in mind that anyone who disagrees with my opinion in any way, no matter how slight, is a complete dumbass.

November 04 2007 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Viewer

Not a great episode, and nowhere near as good as "Frank's Girl," but far better than that stupid "Creative Writing" episode. This, at least, dealt with the characters, had a plot, and was pretty funny.

The crotch jokes with the heat vision goggles were hilarious. I loved the "Fruit Roll-Up" line. The various parts with Earl and Randy getting arrests for terrorism were also very funny. I loved the caricature of post-9/11 paranoia and simultaneous cluelessness.

I didn't get the Dan Coscino thing either. Why was he singing?

Gay Kenny is my favorite guest character of the ones you listed. However, if I could pick from any of the "Earl" recurring characters I would have to go with either Willie the One-Eyed Mailman or one of the people that Earl taught in his ESL class.

"Bumper cars are made to be crashed into, so..."

November 04 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Siegler

I've been a huge Earl fan since the first episode. I love the show - I even think the new direction in prison has been a mostly good one.

But this episode? I hate to sound all comic book guy, but..

Worst. Episode. Ever.

This was by far and away the single worst episode of Earl there has been. The only part that made me laugh was the bit with Randy and the heat goggles. All the red crotches was quite funny. But that's the only thing that made me laugh. Darnell running around naked was a bit of a smirk generator, but it didn't make me laugh.

Sorry, really REALLY disliked this episode.

November 04 2007 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stigmata

good episode, quite funny.

as for all the detractors dissing the show, even dumbasses are entitled to an opinion!

November 02 2007 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juan Herrera

So far I have been disappointed for most of this season the jokes are tasteless in most cases totally stupid. Cops and Creative Writing I thought were a waste of my time. I have been a big fan of Earl but if the shows don't get any better, I might have to place it in the trash list much to my regret. I hope he ets out of jail and gets back to his list. I enjoy the whole gang Earl, Randy, Joy, Darnell & Catalina and some of the guests as well, so lets hope things get better.

November 02 2007 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

Yes, Dear! What a great show. I also was hoping to see some other cast members when we got Mike and Billy in the same episode!

November 02 2007 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I loved this one. Lots of great lines, as Earl always provides.

"The terrorists have won again, the score is orange to none... I should've hosted Family Feud."

"It's okay, bumper cars are meant to crash into things."

"He appears to be walking some blankets."

"Wow, everything is a Fruit Roll-Up!"

November 02 2007 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

It was a good episode...Randy trying to read "Danger: Educated Black Man" was hilarious. "Dan-gur"...hahahaha. The crotch jokes were funny too.

November 02 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply