July 25, 2014

Ugly Betty: Something Wicked This Way Comes

by Erin Martell, posted Nov 2nd 2007 12:56AM

Freddy Rodriguez, Eric Mabius, and Marlo Thomas

(S02E06) Ugly Betty made it to Broadway this week! Half the cast went to a performance of Wicked, Betty and Henry ended up onstage, and Justin broke out his collection of Playbills. That boy snapped out of his delinquent phase just in time. Wili and Marc busied themselves with wedding arrangements, and Hilda got a surprising new job. The biggest surprise? Gio made another appearance and managed to be less abrasive.

That's right, folks, Gio's back. Losing his job (thanks to Betty) motivated him to open up his own sandwich stand, just as his remarks inspired Betty to take the writing class. Even if those two don't start dating, I can at least see them becoming friends. They got along very well this week. Gio was a pretty good sport about the whole fake relationship thing, too. I know that a lot of fans aren't pleased with the presence of a rival for Betty's affections, but I'd love it if Freddy Rodriguez became a series regular.

Justin got into the Broadway spirit with some more appropriate and adorable friends. How cute were those little Broadway fanatics? They were a refreshing change of pace after last week's creepy widows and tween punks. More of the kids, please! It was sweet of Justin to sell his favorite Playbills to help his Mom start her own salon; I love the name "The Sweet Hair-After," by the way. How awful was it that Hilda lost her job at Bumble and Bumble and had to work at a Hooters-style restaurant? Ick. I love how each member of the Suarez family takes care of the others when they need it. I want to be a Suarez.

The Meade family, however, is far from perfect. My fears about Alexis turning on Daniel in order to stay in Bradford's good graces weren't far off. After making a half-hearted attempt to defend her brother, Alexis walked off with Bradford and didn't look back. I was relieved that Daniel didn't wallow in Scotch, women, or self-pity this time. He almost seduced a cougar (Marlo Thomas!), but it was for the good of the magazine. Daniel showed even more maturity in his talks with Betty. In Season One, Daniel was usually too busy with his own troubles to give Betty advice. Now he's a truly concerned friend. I love that this show is willing to let its characters grow and learn from their mistakes. It's one of the many things that sets Ugly Betty apart from other comedies on TV right now.

"Did someone say pasta?" Wili was hilariously trying to gain weight so she could fill out her Vera Wang wedding gown. As much as I'm praying for Claire to put a stop to the ceremony, it should be a sight to see. Vera Wang will be guest-starring as herself, Victoria "Posh" Beckham is Wilhelmina's matron of honor, and "something called a Shania Twain" will perform at the reception (OK, not really, but two out of three ain't bad).

I figured that Marc's romance with Cliff wouldn't last forever, but did Marc have to screw it up so soon? I'm torn about whether or not Cliff should take Marc back. They make a great couple, but Marc needs to get it together and recognize that he's lucky to have him. Cliff probably deserves better than someone who lets Wili take his steak dinner and insult his haircut. That said, David Blue is charming as Cliff and I hope he and Marc give it another shot. There are a lot of engaging guest stars this year--keep 'em coming. With such a large cast, I'm impressed at how seamless the introduction of new characters has been so far.

I was frustrated with Henry and Betty's rationale for keeping their relationship a secret at the start of the episode. Do other people's opinions really matter if they're happy? Apparently they matter greatly to Betty, since she was ready to throw in the towel after one harsh word from Daniel. In another touching Suarez moment, Hilda convinced her sister that the pain that often accompanies love is completely worth it. I was also proud of Henry's reminder that Betty wasn't the only one risking heartbreak to pursue the relationship. I wonder how things will work out between them now that Daniel has voiced his disapproval and Ignacio is still in the dark? Where does Gio fit in with all of this? Henry could tell that Gio's interest in Betty was genuine--will Betty ever figure it out?

My favorite lines of the episode:

• "You need to be with your family...and food." --Ignacio, concerned for Betty
  • "He's delicious and I can't tell anyone." --Betty, on her secret "doughnut," Henry
  • "Oh, what does Wang know about boning, anyway?" --Marc
  • "Find out what Betty is having for lunch and order me two." --Wili, trying to gain weight
  • "You know the fashion world. Very homophobic." --Marc, lying to Cliff
  • "You're about to hear me gagging. That's me gagging." --Gio, annoyed at Henry and Betty's signals
  • "Wilhelmina treats all white people like slaves. Something about payback." --Marc

Next week--the Meade-Slater wedding, someone goes to the hospital, and Victoria Beckham! Major!

Which Ugly Betty business name is the best?
Gio's Sandwiches23 (6.4%)
On a Roll115 (31.8%)
Hero Worship78 (21.5%)
The Sweet Hair-After146 (40.3%)

The Eye Collector

Pur-lease. This episode was just a poorly-disguised advert for Wicked. I mean, God, couldn't they have made it a *little* less obvious?! I personally like musicals, and I know Broadway is big business, but this is just ridiculous. Shame on you, production team! Also, what was going on with the woman singing the 'Glinda' part? She was awful!!!

November 13 2007 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I don't know what some of you are talking about: the Wicked excerpts makes me want to go and see Wicked, and mistakingly end up on stage! And the writers of this show know how to make me laugh so hard! Wil's "something called a Shania Twain," and Marc's "Wilhemina treats all white people like slaves," are my favorite moments from this episode. I can't wait to watch tonight.

November 08 2007 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Radosevich

Ugly Betty "jumped the shark" with that inane, cross-promoting "Wicked" ridiculousness. The characters get to run around backstage, the wings no less and are on stage! "Security"! It was like some lame CW show.

November 08 2007 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shmuffin123

Late comment since I just watched the episode (thank you precious TiVo)...Did anyone think that the writers might have watched an old episode of How I Met Your Mother with the whole Wili having to gain weight to "fill out" the dress...very similiar to Lily having to gain weight to make her dress fit in last season's HIMYM.

Just a thought...another fun and witty episode.

November 06 2007 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Yeah, this show was back to regular form, mostly because of the witty dialogue. Last week's show was surprisingly LAME-O!!! I am also getting tired of Henry, he's written so poorly and thin that a lot of what we know about his just doesn't ring true at all. After all, he's gotten a girl pregnant and doesn't care that he's about to leave her and his unborn child for another woman. I'm sorry but if Henry were truly the character he's portrayed to be, there's no way he'd still have eyes for Betty regardless of whether Charlie cheated on him or not. It would have taken a lot for him to break down his persona enough to justify having sex with her and he's not going to just abandon that so easily. Everything that came after just seems to phony now.

The only thing that would redeem Henry in my eyes is to turn him into the shallow cad that he's been written instead of some wild eyed, shallow, naive innocent. THAT he is NOT.

Looking forward to next week! Go Willi!

November 04 2007 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benry

I heart Betty and Henry!!!

November 02 2007 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benry

I agreed with clgbutterfly. I don't think the relationship between Betty and Henry is dull or boring at all! As a matter of fact I can see Betty and Henry becoming a permanent couple! Those two compliment each other. I don't care for Gio and it's not because he's "next in line" for Betty after Henry's departure (Seriously, I hope Henry does NOT leave) but he's just annoying and I think he comes on too strong which is a total turn off. I think he would be great if he were to become friends with Henry and help Henry along the way! Daniel... wow. I'm so glad that he's finally showing some maturity but he's protecting Betty at the wrong time. Daniel should allow Betty that few moment of happiness and just be there for her when the time comes. I didn't care for him calling Betty stupid and she didn't need to hear that from him either. I loved the fact that the only person who truly understand Betty's heart is her own sister, Hilda. And I'm glad that Betty took Hilda's advice. Overall, I loved the episode and the end with Betty and Henry in that unspoken moment. Their eyes and facial expression said it all. It was and is... the heavy sigh moment.

November 02 2007 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

Did anyone else hear the cougar growl when Mark introduced Sandra(Marlo Thomas) ?

Wicked is a good play but, they didn't show the better scenes but it was good for the Betty plot

November 02 2007 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

I loved this episode. The Wicked play wasn't so great, but the songs they choose were excellent explanations of the situation and how everyone felt. I was really impressed at Daniel's growth as an adult. Gio's cool and all, but it's Betty and Henry all the way. They really do complete each other. Henry had the best heartstring line of the evening when he mentioned that his heart would be broken too. These are two very good people who are making a very hard decision. They know it is wrong, but are willing to pay the price for the small amount of happiness. Charlie doesn't deserve loyality. She's living in Tucson on Henry's dime and knowing her is setting up another sugar daddy in case he falls through (She already cheated on him once and didn't seem to show remorse). If she was so worried about Henry leaving her she would have come back to NY or never let him leave. Besides are Henry and Charlie married? If they aren't what's stopping them?
And all those people who think the Betty/Henry Storyline is getting boring or stale can go back to watching your 90210 wannabe shows. Me I like it and I love the comedy of this telenova.

November 02 2007 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sabercat

I loved the scene at the end with Betty and Hilda. I got where everyone else was coming from (I would want to see my friends heart broken for a second time) but Hilda knew exactly what to say. I have to admit that I am starting to like Gio. He's no Henry, but I think he's going to be good competition. I really want Mark to get Cliff back, but I want Mark to stay Mark and not get too serious.

November 02 2007 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply