October 1, 2014

Verizon plans 150 HD channels next year

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 2nd 2007 11:23AM
Verizon FiOSAccording to Engadget, Verizon is planning to expand its FiOS television service by launching an additional 150 HD channels by the end of 2008. The service has been experiencing bandwidth limitations that have prevented this from happening previously.

Franky. I think FiOS has more problems than just bandwidth limitations. It also suffers from a limited market. I tried ordering the service from Verizon and discovered it didn't reach my apartment building yet. I live in a fairly populated area near New York City, so I found this surprising.

While adding more HD channels is a noble objective, I think Verizon should also work on trying to get their service out to more customers and be a better competitor to cable. Does anybody out there use Verizon FiOS? If so, what do you think of the service?

Sunny

We had it for a week and just ditched it. We have had internet for a year. I LOVED the tv setup but because it doesn't have the NHL package like Direct TV we dropped it. In fact they told us Direct TV would let us just keep the hockey package. Of course we were suckers and didn't check before we signed up. So they lied and we dropped them. I was very sad. I love the HD channels and on demand. Oh well, my husband has to have his hockey.

November 04 2007 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

FiOS strung fiber past here a year and a half ago, and have had license to offer service in town almost that long, but refuse to offer service to me because they simply are picking and choosing which parts of town they want to bother providing service to. >shrug

November 04 2007 at 6:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Livin\' Large XX

Fios is the best I have experienced, by far. Cable and dish do not come close to it. In 3 months I have never experienced any kind of a problem. I also have the T.V., phone, internet package. The program selection is great but the price sucks even though you get the most for your dollar.

November 03 2007 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

FIOS is awesome. Well, except for the DVR. The DVR regularly "forgets" to record shows. Or corrupts the recording so you can't view it then blames it on you because "you're not subscribed to that channel" even if you are. Oh yeah and the DVR reboots when you try to delete a recorded show. And the capacity is about 15 hours of HD. Oh and Verizon screwed up the billing so it's costing me $70 more a month than promised and they can't seem to fix it.

Wait. Maybe it's not so great after all. I miss y Direct TV.

November 03 2007 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

If you're in an apartment you may be out of luck, as the FCC just decided to forbid future and abrogate existing exclusivity agreements, and I imagine the cable companies and building and complex owners will contest it in federal court. In the meantime Verizon will continue to build out in areas where it wasn't locked out by such agreements. Where I live is actually wired but they won't light it until they get a franchise agreement with the township; some of the neighboring municipalities are already active. Of course, when they install your home's fiber connection they pull the copper, so any possibility of future competitive services over copper, which they were required to share, are gone, and since they don't share the fiber, anyone who wants to offer services has to build their own network from scratch. And while FiOS is technically superior to cable, my opinion of Verizon's service and customer policies is just as low as my opinion of my cable company.

November 02 2007 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frank

i have had fios for a week and i love it - i have internet and phone

cant wait for tv to be added in my area - i am in seattle

November 02 2007 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

I have the FIOS internet connection for the last few months and its much better than Comcast cable which had periodic slowdowns on the cable modem.

I have not signed up for the television portion yet as it wasn't available immediately for me.

I heard about bandwidth problems but they have solved it at the switching stations from what I've read.

November 02 2007 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PhoenixC6

As I understand it, the limitation on channels has nothing to do with bandwidth. FiOS has far more bandwidth available than any other medium out there. The problem is that the C/O's don't have the channel capacity. The FiOS that they ran to my house will support 622mbit of bandwidth. With the sending and recieving equipement they installed, it will support over 100mbit without anything but a flip of a switch at the C/O.

And yes, FiOS is by far the best internet connection I've ever had. 15/2 is a dream and I can't wait for 20/20 to reach Las Colinas. :)

November 02 2007 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Uhm, rick, if FIOS is actually available where you live, there is nothing to be convinced about. FIOS is guaranteed to be better than any of the large companies plans in your area (Cox, Time Warner, Bright House, Comcast, Adelphia, etc.) Unless you have some weird small company offering some fantastic deal, I don't know what you are waiting for.

I don't know if you thought FIOS was somehow like DSL, and might not be 10 times faster than anything Cable has to offer, but it is completely different from DSL, and far faster (and cheaper) than almost any other options you could possible have.

November 02 2007 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

My boss uses FiOS and he says that he loves it. He got the deal with internet, cable, and telephone all in one package and said that he's never once had a problem with any of them; in fact he said FiOS downloads and uploads a heck of a lot faster than his old Cable provider. I haven't been convinced yet, but 150 HD channels might just do it for me.

November 02 2007 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply