September 3, 2014

The 25 worst shows ever - according to The Chicago Tribune

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 3rd 2007 1:19PM

100 Lives of Blackjack SavageLists are fun, aren't they? They put everything in perspective, they're easy to navigate, and they spark debate. But sometimes a list has entries in it that just make you scratch your head and wonder, do they really think that or are they just trying to be provocative?

The Chicago Tribune lists their picks for the 25 worst shows of all-time. Many of the usual suspects are here: Pink Lady and Jeff, BJ and the Bear, Manimal, and Small Wonder - but then they go completely off the rails and lists The 100 Lives of Blackjack Savage! If you don't remember this NBC show (it lasted 8 episodes in 1991), it was about a billionaire (Daniel Hugh-Kelly), accused of embezzlement, who escapes to an island, who gets involved with a ghost and has to save 100 lives. This was a really fun show and doesn't deserve to be on any "worst" list.

I also take issue with other shows on the list that might not be anywhere near anyone's "best" list but were OK shows: Mr. Belvedere, Mama's Family, Beauty and the Beast. No need for those shows to be on a "worst" list.

And if you're going to list worst shows of all-time, be fair. You can't include shows that lasted only one episode.

Will

The only reason I remember "Manimal" is because Johnny Carson did jokes about it every night for like a week or two. I don't recall ever seeing it. Boy, if that doesn't show my age. Hard to believe Carson has been off tv for 15 years already.

November 06 2007 at 5:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

MattyD, thems is fightin' words! "Automan" was that shiznit!!

November 05 2007 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Zoidberg

Remember that episode of "The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer" where Jefferson Jefferson tried to build a 'Whiter House of the Future' accross the street from the White House?

November 05 2007 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Viewer

"Small Wonder" wasn't all that bad.

Lucyfan, I have watched three of the four "Cavemen" episodes that have aired and I found them to be every bit as bad as the buzz.
Personally, I would say it deserves to be on this list.

November 04 2007 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I can't stand Worst lists. Are you so mean that you really have to compile and post a list of things you hate?

November 04 2007 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MattyD

Hmmm Automan never made it to this list. Anybody remember this with Desi Arnaz Jr as Walter Nebucher? The fact I remember this off the top of my head must mean insanity has krept in. But wait, what about Quark? That proved that a show can be SO bad, it actually has some redeeming qualities. Whats that I hear? Salvage 1 ? Not even Andy Griffith could save the show about a homebrew rocket salvage team that goes to the moon to gather up all the junk left by missions there. And then there is Cleopatra 2525 or whatever the number was. Lets take sexy females, shot them into the future and let them fight people. And last but not least, may I nominate any show that came from a decent move but as a show, it paled in comparison. I site Logans Run and Planet of the Apes as two of these

November 04 2007 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boxlight

Couldn't let this pass: ""Joanie Loves Chachi" (1982-83). Scott Baio's addition to "Happy Days" was a classic jump-the-shark moment"

NO! The Happy Days classic jump-the-shark moment was when FONZIE ACTUALLY JUMPED THE FRICKIN' SHARK! Don't they know where the expression came from?

November 03 2007 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy Tucker

Um, I don't really think including Turn-On is unfair, even if only one episode aired.

But no Supertrain? Are you KIDDING?

November 03 2007 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Nelson

The Clip they had for "Pink Lady and Jeff" doesn't really do the show justice, as it's just a generic cheesy disco number. What made this show truly "special" was the girls' interaction with Jeff Altman. This show may quite possibly have been the most unintentionally creepy and disturbing thing I've ever seen on prime time network television.

I've never had the privilege of seeing "My Mother the Car", but given the premise, this show could only have been either one of the biggest flaming turds in the history of the medium....or sublimely brilliant. I'll defer to the popular consensus on this one.

"Petticoat Junction" was hardly "Cheers", but I've seen more than 25 shows that were much worse.

There were several other daytime talk shows that could easily join the Springer show on this list (Geraldo, Maury Povich, Jenny Jones, just to name a few), but Springer is the one everyone thinks of when you mention the genre, so I guess if you're only going to include one, it has to be Springer.

Back in the '80's, there was a show on Fox called (IIRC) "Whoops". It was about the last few survivors of an accidental (hence the name) global thermonuclear war. It was a sitcom. I rest my case.

They listed "BJ and the Bear", which I'll admit was dreck, but then they forgot to mention its even worse spinoff: "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo".

November 03 2007 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xtinemichele

Someone has to give love to Pink Lady, and I guess it's gonna have to be me - not Jeff though, he was (and still is) one non-funny individual. I was in Japan in May and bought a bunch of Pink Lady CDs (and as my Japanese friend told me I am a nerd!) I was, gee, 10 when that show was on (and yes, I have the DVD set) and it was fabulous..for a disco-loving 10-year-old. I guess the nostalgia factor is part of its appeal for me. But at least it was better than the Brady Bunch Variety Hour!

November 03 2007 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply