October 1, 2014

The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XVIII

by Richard Keller, posted Nov 4th 2007 11:20PM

Bart and Kodos in a scene from 'Treehouse of Horror XVIII'

(S19E05) 'The Monkey's Paw', 'The Bart Zone', 'The Devil and Homer Simpson', the entire 'Treehouse of Horror V' (the end scene where the Simpsons' bodies turn inside out actually freaked me out a bit), 'Nightmare on Evergreen Terrace' and 'Homer3'. Why do I mention these previous 'Treehouse of Horror' stories and episodes? Well, they're examples of funny yet creepy stories that The Simpsons did so well each and every Halloween.

So, uh, what happened?

I don't know about you, my intrepid TV Squad readers, but this year's 'Treehouse of Horror XVIII' had nothing in the way of scare in it. In fact, one story out of the three featured shouldn't have really been in this episode at all. There weren't even any guest voices this year like there have been in the past. It's like they picked three movies from three different decades -- 80's, 90's, and 00's - out of a hat and decided to use them for 'Treehouse' this time around. The result, for me at least, was an episode that didn't have many laughs. Let's review, shall we...

Introduction: Marge did something that all of us television viewers have wanted to do forever -- remove all of the icon ads from other shows that appear on the show that you're watching. My favorite was when she put the little Greg House in the microwave and watched as he expanded and exploded. Right after that she got the Prison Break icons to run away. Not laugh out loud funny, but pretty amusing.

E.T. Go Home: This year's appearance of Kodos and (briefly) Kang took place in this parody of 80's movie E.T. There were some good moments, like Bart watching Itchy & Scratchy dancing on Samba With the Stars, and Kodos slipping in the 'seven million body bags' he would need in the list of items that would help him get back home. Of course, being a parody, the end of the story is not all warm and fuzzy like the original movie was. Homer and Bart get to do a bit of alien ass-kicking to rid the world of Kodos and his partners. This one was pretty cute. Plus, it actually featured Bart in an episode...something that hasn't been done since the season began.

Mr. and Mrs. Simpson: Yeah. This one, a parody of the 2005 hit Mr. and Mrs. Smith, is the story that should not have been part of this episode. Besides Marge and Homer killing everyone along the way what did this really have to do with Halloween? So Homer and Marge shot up the house during their battle. Big Deal. We can see that on a regular episode of the series every other week. I don't know how the producers decided that this would be a perfect fit for a Halloween-based episode.

Heck House: This was the only story that even came close to the creepiness that previous 'Treehouse' episodes displayed. There was a return of Ned Flanders as the devil (we all know that he's a Satanist deep down inside) as well as an appearance by Spider Pig. I liked how the kids did a complete 180 to do tricks instead of receiving treats and that these four individuals alone caused such havoc on Evergreen Terrace. Ned's examples of the Seven Deadly Sins featured not one but two examples for Homer (Gluttony and Sloth). Heck, Homer could have been the example for all seven of the sins.

All in all, this episode of 'Treehouse of Horror' was fairly mediocre. There were some giggles here and there but, for the most part, it was pretty forgettable. Let me know what you think.

What was your favorite part of 'Treehouse of Horror 18'
Introduction199 (36.1%)
E.T. Go Home72 (13.0%)
Mr and Mrs. Simpson125 (22.6%)
Heck House156 (28.3%)

Timothy

I actually enjoyed it and thought it was better than last years' Treehouse. I loved the intro! I think the show is still pretty clever and funny.

November 05 2007 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

@#14: The issue is here that there's so much good Simpsons' episodes, the show essentiall competes with itself. You don't give it anything a pass to suck simply because it used to not suck.

I ceased being in the demographics for the advertisers for this show more than a decade ago, so I nobody values my opinion, but the show is milking a dry cow.

November 05 2007 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

The old Treehouse of Horrors were great. My favorite was the one where the kid's ghost stories left Homer scared out of his very small mind while the kids were unaffected.

November 05 2007 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

#14 wrote 'The Simpsons has kept us entertained for almost 2 decades now, but I guess you critics deserve better.'

You bet we do! I don't care if the show has been on for nineteen years or nineteen weeks the quality needs to be kept up. WIth the Treehouse episodes the quality has gone down to the point that it is barely Halloween-releated anymore. If that's the case why name it 'Treehouse of Horror'.

November 05 2007 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
graigbachman

Hey dorks, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Go defend Battlestar Galactica or something.

The Treehouse episodes are always weak anyway. Last night was no different. The Simpsons has kept us entertained for almost 2 decades now, but I guess you critics deserve better.

November 05 2007 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

man you people are harsh.
so all the aliens dressed like villians and killers from the past wasn't funny, or the fact that the US army just went in and blew them away? Aliens in movies are always impervious to our bullets. or the return on all the toys, like phonics frog, lingmo, and sgt action.
And Homer turning into spagetti was great.

Also Bart throws the baseball lefthanded.

I agree that Mr & Mrs Smith wasn't that great, but mainly because Robot Chicken already did the same joke with the Brady Bunch. The other two were funny.

November 05 2007 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hollywood Ron

Mediocre is too nice. Marge's opening was the best thing about the show.

November 05 2007 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Worst episode EVER!
(says it all)

November 05 2007 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

As I've been saying for years, The Simpsons just ain't what it used to be. The series should have concluded with the movie, which was A+.

November 05 2007 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

This was a disappointing Treehouse of Horrors. I always look forward to the special every year with high hopes, but the last two have been really 'eh'. This one made last year's look good! Maybe it's just me, but they seemed chock full of stories back in the hey day, maybe it was because the stories were so good it just seemed that way.

I know it's got to be hard coming up with new stories to tell every year but if they're just going to re-do movies why not do actual scary movies.

November 05 2007 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply