August 21, 2014

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Therapist

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 5th 2007 8:43AM

Larry David
(S06E09) "New Larry is keeping the minty breath." - Larry

That was definitely not what I expected from this episode. I was really hoping that Larry and Cheryl would get back together almost immediately and then we were going to get to see Larry "forcing" himself to change in order to please Cheryl. In a way, we sort of did. I loved how whenever he was with Cheryl he was all dressed up. When he wasn't, his usual attire of sneakers and a ratty sweater came back into play. And obviously, his tone and decision making were drastically out of character whenever he was with Cheryl. But the thing I love most about Larry is that as mischievous and conniving as he is -- he's still trying to win back Cheryl because he loves and misses her. I think it's hilarious that the idea of being honest and open with her never enters his mind. Everything has to be a grand gesture backed by an equally self-centered and idiotic plan.

Sway the opinion of your wife's therapist, and win her back. Great plan! Unless the therapist falls for you. I loved when she compared Larry's act of "selfless heroism" to Clint Eastwood and then Larry exited the restaurant to some "walking off into the sunset" Western tune. Hilarious.

So he got his therapist to mug Cheryl's therapist. OK... don't ever see that guy again. What kind of clinically certified doctor would ever agree to help out in that way? Here's what I loved about him though. When Larry's therapist finally got out of jail and felt guilty, he needed to see someone too. Now if his plan was full disclosure from the beginning, why would he go to the one person that he mugged? He took the mask off, so he would have recognized her and she would have recognized him... right?

That's the one thing I didn't like. I'm willing to buy into all the other ridiculous things that Larry's therapist did, but that final decision was hurt by that fact that its only purpose was to aid in the pay-off at the end of the episode. It would have been equally funny, and made much more sense, for Cheryl's therapist t figure it out on her own. When Larry met with her a second time, Funkhauser could have shown up again to debunk Larry's Alzheimer's claim. Same result. She would have doubted Larry, looked into it, and still called at the the worst moment possible -- the ferris wheel ride. The whole thing just didn't feel natural and that's been my complaint with a lot of things this season. Too much stuff hasn't just happened organically as it has in seasons past.

OK, that was my only gripe with this episode. Everything else was great.

• I loved how Jeff actually had his head shaved! Last week, I really thought he just had one of those bald head wigs on. He actually buzzed it all though.
  • Funkhauser sitting during the walk-a-thon was great too. Why even bother showing up?
  • When Larry saw his therapist in jail and said you should always have cards, I was really hoping he'd pull a deck out of his pocket and then refuse to give them to the therapist on the grounds that he might need them later.
  • Leon is still the best thing about this season. Every scene he's in is hilarious. ("For this to be legit, somebody gotta get f*cked up Larry.")

So in next week's season finale ("The Bat Mitzvah"), it all comes together. Will Cheryl actually forgive Larry and come back home? I'm thinking yes. The show never really ends a season with a true "I can't wait to find out" cliffhanger and Larry and Cheryl not together would definitely qualify as one. At the same time, I still think it'd be hilarious if she did end up with someone else. Leon, anyone?

Would you have donated to Marty if you knew he wasn't going to walk?
Of course. It's still a good cause.28 (10.7%)
No way! What's the point of a walk-a-thon if you don't walk?234 (89.3%)

P. Glasper

I thought the last two episodes were way too funny. I must admit I look at them over and over again. The Therapist and his expressions were so comical, especially when he tried to explain how 'you get the face you deserve.' And Larry wiggling his behind because of the itch in the last episode. But he and Loretta ending up together was a total surprise to me. If they do another season it would be interesting to see Cheryl try to get her husband back, which we all know he'd go back, but with Loretta cussing Susie out and the look on her face..because Cheryl never defended Larry. It would be very interesting and funny.

November 28 2007 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeDe

I love Larry and CYE and as a African American woman I am loving CYE even more this season. Larry will u marry me!?

November 12 2007 at 4:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sal

i'd like to see the seinfeld cast on CYE. (Jerry,George,Kramer Elaine ,and Newman. (yeah)

November 11 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Verbal

I'm looking at this differently. I'm thinking that Larry's therapist was pissed at Larry since Larry was the reason he was in jail and he didn't seem to overly help him get out. Only when it was convenient for him. I think the therapist, to get back at Larry, went to Cheryl's therapist and told her everything. I don't think it was coincidental. I think it was deliberate.

But as in any great comedy, it has to be ambiguous.

November 08 2007 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wanda

i just watched the episode when Larry was trying to describe a conversation he over heard in the bathroom and repeat it to anybody that would listen: about someone else using the 'n' word. Everytime he tried to relay the overheard conversation, an African American would walk in the room when he got to the 'n' word and it would get started!!! I'm African American and it was so funny. i could see how the script was done to show how people can come in on the 'tail end" of things and take them out of context. I laughed until my sides hurt!

Larry David reminds me show much of Woody Allen and i love WOODY ALLEN in his own movies. I love this show, the man is a nut! I hope the writers don't get stuck and boring. I also liked the show about Broadway, that was hilarious!

Please keep up the good work, the diversity in the show is just great!!!!!

November 06 2007 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephen

Another gem! only larry could think this shit up , leon steals every scene actually the whole black family is great. i was thinking that larry was going to tell funkhauser that he wanted his pledge back since he didt walk and most of all they choose cheryl!! the old larry is dead!!! gotta love the old larry

November 06 2007 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

I don't think Cheryl and Larry will end up together. It would be too strange to have a storyline that imitates his real life split with his wife, only to have them get back together again. I think the whole story line is incredible, how she just kinda decided to leave him out of nowhere and started dating other people and stealing all his friends. Larry David is truly a comedic genius.

November 05 2007 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Boru

Series 6 has been great & it is not possible to have classics every week. Hope to see a few more series - Single Larry has lots of potential.

Trivia: The therapist was played by Steve Coogan one of the top British comic actors. He is most famous for creating characters for tv shows particularly his spoof chat show host Alan Partridge.

November 05 2007 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Maybe Bright never realized Dr. Slavin was his "mugging" victim because he wasn't wearing glasses when he attacked her. He did seem clumsy and having trouble focusing in the lead-up to the attack.

November 05 2007 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willy

Loved the show. Leon's insistence at fucking Larry up was priceless.

November 05 2007 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply