South Park: Guitar Queer-o
(S11E13) After seeing the title of this episode, I'm more embarrassed than I already was to admit that I'm a fan of Guitar Hero. In fact, I own all four versions of the game. There. I said it.
Thankfully, I will say that I never have, nor will I ever, play in my underwear. As far as you know.
This was a strange episode given what we've been seeing the past few weeks. We barely got anyone other than Stan and Kyle this time, but what we got was, as always, pure gold. Oh and by the way, one of our sister sites, Joystiq, liveblogged the episode tonight.
If you're pretty familiar with Guitar Hero -- and if you're a gamer, you likely are -- there's always the debate flying around that people should be learning to play a real guitar with the amount of time they spend on Guitar Hero, not standing around like a tool in your living room diddling a piece of plastic and fumbling around five buttons. Then there are those who will say that this is not about real guitar versus Guitar Hero, as it's just a game. Neither side will ever win, because they're both right in my eyes.
With all the video game love on the show these days, I wonder when they'll tackle America's Army, where the kids get recruited to the Army. Or maybe they already did that and I'm having a brain fart.
Anyway, the scene with Stan's dad playing real guitar was probably the funniest scene in the episode, seconded by him totally flopping on playing the game late at night in his skivvies. I've got friends who are much better at a real guitar than I am and they all say playing Guitar Hero throws them all off because the fingering isn't "right."
Another great scene was the shining moment for the boys, when they finally achieve one-million points in the game and are called "fags," but that just doesn't give you the reaction from the kids you'd expect.
Other great moments:
- "Just listen to that video crowd!"
- Mr. Kincaid from The Partridge Family (well, "Charles" Kincaid) as Stan's manager.
- The humongous pile of cocaine at the party.
- "Uh, that's gay Mr. Marsh"
- "Oh yes, all the biggest stars in Colorado are here."
"Look over there, it's that Jake Jabbs guy from American Furniture Warehouse commercials!"
- "I mean, you kinda suck but my dad says you might be good some day."
- "You know where loyalty gets you in a game like Guitar Hero? Nowheres."
- "He doesn't even need a game system to play on; he can play Guitar Hero acoustically."
- The Heroin Hero game and "chasing the dragon."
- Mick of Rocky, owner of the bowling alley.
- "OK, but I get to be the one who betrays you after the sex and drugs party."
|Setting a world record score on Guitar Hero||141 (12.5%)|
|Learning to play a real guitar well||625 (55.5%)|
|Either of the above, but only when wearing underwear or less||360 (32.0%)|