November 24, 2014

Could the strike actually be good news for some shows?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 8th 2007 1:12PM

JourneymanHere's a weird possible benefit for some TV shows: the strike could actually help some shows stick around longer.

Why? Since production on many TV shows has shut down, the networks might be a little antsy about wasting what original programming they have. So a show that might otherwise be on the edge of being put on hiatus or even cancellation might get a bit of a reprieve and stick around longer.

The media buying agency Magna Global uses NBC's Journeyman as an example, a show that might still be on only because of the strike. Other shows under this category are NBC's Life and FOX's K-Ville. Shows that might already be gone other seasons (viewers are dropping from these three shows) but might stick around longer because of the strike. (The article linked above does have one mistake: the lead-in for Life isn't Phenomenon, it's Bionic Woman.)

Of course, if the strike goes on a long time and production on these shows continues to be shut down, then they'll have to start airing repeats of these shows or take them off the air anyway and put on original programming.

vacelts

I was more willing to give some shows a shot.

I purposely kept recording some shows on my DVR that I normally would've given up knowing that the strike probably coming.

So that's one of the ways I'll be coping during the strike is to clear off my DVR.

November 10 2007 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Odessa

I second that! Life and Journeyman are capable of being great shows.
If the strike has kept them on longer, good!
I liked the Black Donnellys and Nine. I thought they were both smart shows with a different style and look what happened to them. I wish they had a reprieve.

November 09 2007 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Life and Journeyman are two new shows I'm actually watching and enjoying immensely this season.

November 09 2007 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

@MK - probably wont see Kidnapped on TV since they've released all the episodes onto DVD.

November 09 2007 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
awrr

I am a genius?

I'd really like to see more of Journeyman and Life, so there's some silver lining.

November 08 2007 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I have to say that I am enjoying watching new shows without having them all immediately canceled after 4 episodes. In some respects, yay strike!

November 08 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Les F.

I've thought of this too. Maybe the lack of new programming will bring some of the great shows unduly canceled back for a second chance. Perhaps Fox will decide to air Firefly in the correct order during a consistent timeslot so the show can finally get proper recognition.

November 08 2007 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1Dad

Journeyman is a great show which is just now picking up steam. Whatever it takes to keep it around is a good thing.

November 08 2007 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MK

They cancelled at least two good shows last season: "The Nine" and "Kidnapping". Any chance they show the rest of them which were never shown?
Love "Life" and Damian Lewis. Don't care about "journeyman". Loved McKidd in "Rome" but not in this show.

November 08 2007 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chadwick hansford

Journeyman is good but slow. Mckidd was a bad ass in Rome (HBO series) and this is the total opposite.

Life. Don't care. Bionic Woman isn't that good but she is hot so hopefully they will get their head out of their butts and get with it.

Dirty Sexy Money is funny. I enjoy Big Shots but the strike apparently is doing nothing but helping that show.

Cane is cool as hell. It better stick around.

Bet NBC wished they kepted Studio 60 right now.

November 08 2007 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply