August 20, 2014

Stop the clock: 24 falls victim to strike

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 8th 2007 12:03PM

Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer in a scene from the season seven premiere of 24, which has been delayed according to FOX.It looks like Jack Bauer has finally met an enemy he can't kill -- the striking Writer's Guild of America. The seventh season of 24 hasn't exactly gone smoothly when you add in the California wildfires and Keifer Sutherland's drinking woes. So it comes as no surprise that 24 won't be premiering in January.

In a press release dated yesterday, FOX announced that 24 will not return after the New Year. The two-hour two-night premiere starting on Sunday, January 13th will instead be handed off to the Terminator spin-off The Sarah Connor Chronicles. According to the release, "the seventh season of 24 is being postponed to ensure that 'Day 7' can air uninterrupted, in its entirety." No new premiere dates were released, but the schedule is subject to change depending on whenever this pesky writer's strike resolves itself.

I'd like to see 24 return later in the spring, but I don't see FOX blowing a huge show like this when viewership tends to drop off as the summer months approach. If I had to make a logical guess, I bet that we won't see it return until next Fall... but I could be way off there. As it is, only about eight episodes of the new season have been finished according to Reuters. Too bad FOX wasted all that money premiering the new season seven trailer last month.

rich

I guess that is how the world goes around everyone wants more of everything

December 16 2007 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rich

I must say that I am very disapointed that a gruop of men and women can't work out there problems. As a fan of both 24 & lost it is a long time to wait for the next season when things are going well. The Saprano's did the same thing and by the time you got to see the next year it was 22 months later. Grow up and think of the people who enjoy these shows, for a change think about the fan. I must say that I am losing interest with all the Issue's. Let's start 2008 the right way because baseball & professional players are really making it hard to believe anyone really care about the fan. Remember with no people watching your shows everyone loses.

December 16 2007 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debra Lynn Bratcher

I'm a union person. If a strike was called, I say they had to have good cause. I am looking forward to season 7 of 24. I think the actors personal lives should be just that--personal. All people make mistakes, so who are any of us to judge legal issues or any personal issues of others(be they famous or not). I wouldn't appreciate someone knowing, broadcasting, and debating everything that went on in my life. I say give the guy a break. Who are we to judge?
I hope the show gets started soon. I hope all the strike issues are settled fairly. I say good luck to all and Godspeed.

November 24 2007 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

Uh hey, I like 24 (maybe not as much as the next guy), but listen Fox.. if you're not going to be showing 24 or other new programming, hows about you finish airing all those shows which looked promising but you pulled the rug under from? I can think of a couple right now:

-Firefly
-Wonderfalls

Or shows you did give full seasons to, but not enough respect in terms of advertisement or scheduling, like say:

-Arrested Development

I'm sure other people have ideas on what else you can show.

November 09 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanteAmore

Jack Bauer does more in 8 hours, than most of us do in a week.

November 08 2007 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

DAMN IT, SHIT FOR 200K A YEAR I'LL WRITE SOME KICK ASS SHOWS.

how's this for day 7, jack goes to jail for a dui and inside a drunk mel gibson and paris hilton, who leaves after 2 hours, start talkin about how shitty it is that viewers have to suffer.

this sucks i was counting on 24 for new years, now it's off the air indefinetely, imma go beat up some picketeers right about now....

November 08 2007 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I can't help but wonder if TV watching would go UP if new shows didn't start, due to the strike, until the summer. After all that reality TV and reruns, people will want new shows!

November 08 2007 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MK

"24" became FOX channel ultimate product - jingoistic crap glorifying torture. Stopped watching it after season 2.

November 08 2007 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael 8-)

Of course everything depends upon when the strike ends... but it would be great if the timing worked to finally kill the traditional "season" once and for all.

Why not potentially run the shows into the summer? Or run some as part of a summer season? Especially if it were tied to the ability to download or watch on the Internet?

It would also be a good push for television if this strike resulted in some of the cable shows being broadcast by the networks on their broadcast channels, or some foreign fare being broadcast on the networks.

November 08 2007 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

In the words of Jack Bauer: DAMNIT!

November 08 2007 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply