October 26, 2014

Angel Vs. Mick St. John

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 9th 2007 12:02PM
Angel and MoonlightWhen Moonlight first aired, TV fans couldn't help themselves but to compare the series with Angel. Both series have a good looking vampire as its lead and said main character is an investigator. At first glance, Moonlight's lead vampire, Mick St. John, may sound like an Angel clone. Let's compare, shall we?
  • Both men wear dark clothes, including some sort of jacket. Angel opts for slightly loose shirts but that still highlight his muscles (for the ladies' pleasure). As for Mick, he keeps wearing muscle shirts (for the ladies' pleasure as well!). However, Mick's choice of shirts make it harder to take him seriously as a PI.
  • Angel is a great warrior. Not only is he a great combatant but most of the time he is fighting enemies unarmed. Mick is still a newbie in that area. Yes, he is able to kick some behinds but Beth has to save him most of the time! If Mick (in the shape he is right now) had to fight Angel, the latter would win hands down! Even Moonlight's Josef would win against Mick. Then again, if Mick fought Angel as he was a few decades after being turned, maybe the battle would last a little longer but I would still put my money on Angel.
  • Mick is not over the fact that his wife turned him on his wedding day. This prevents him from hooking up with anyone, including Beth. The same could almost be said for Angel who was turned by Darla way back when. However, the main difference is that Mick wasn't expecting at all to be turned and was not in the state of mind to become a vampire. When Angel was turned, he was looking for more excitement in his life, thus was more prone to accepting his new path.
  • Both are tormented by their vampire side. Angel is almost another person when in vampire mode (aka Angelus). Since Mick never fully embraced his vampire side, he is still pretty much himself when in vampire mode.
  • Both understand the danger they bring to the people surrounding them and try to keep boundaries with everyone.
  • Both are pro-human and don't want to feed on them. But if Angel didn't have his soul, he would probably be feeding on humans.
  • Both are intelligent, capable investigators and hot!

I surely forgot tons of pros and cons for both vampires. If so, post below to help us decide who is the best TV vampire between Angel and Mick St. John. Of course, since I know Angel best, I'm leaning towards him winning this battle. However, Mick is a promising character.

Thanks to Jen Creer, our Moonlight reviewer here at TV Squad, for her insight.

Between the two, who is your favorite vampire?
Angel2142 (53.2%)
Mick1886 (46.8%)

Nicodemus

Please Moonlight to me is a ripoff of Forever Knight i mean if they want to bring a real vampire show back bring back The Kindred that had real vampire issue none of this love anner rice bs

January 18 2008 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

I have to say that Angel was alright, but if you haven't seen the show then you don't know anything about it. Yes Angel and Mick might have the same features and all, but Mick is way HOTTER and is now the new vampire show. Some people need to see the show instead of dissing it.

January 13 2008 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BloodyDru

I love ANGEL... and even More ANGELUS, because of his great texts :P I don't like how Moonlight is showing the vampire... there is no magic, no talking about having or losing soul... it's more in science. Angel is much elder than Mick, I love it, he went through much more things, the character is deeper, more far-out... Like Buffy said: he's a hottie. And damn Angel is muuuuuuch hotter than Mick. Angel would kick Mick's ass. His fighting style is 1000 times better than Mick's.

January 08 2008 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david boreanaz/alex o\'loughlin\'s fan said...

i don't know y i watch moonlight but moonlight doesn't compare to angel no show will ever be better than angel,buffy the vampire slayer n supernatural but mostly angel n plus angel drinks blood from either a cup r a human unlike mick he drinks from human also but mostly a bag of blood and that if their is blood splatering every where then that is a good show unlike no blood splatering at all if u r a blood addicted person then u should watch saw its sic.
i luv angel nvr miss a show but between angel n mick st john my vote goes to angel because even if angel can't go out during the day he is a good fighter weither if he's in his vampire mode or not, angel is a more skilled vampire than most of the ones i could think of.
if u compare both of them angel is buffer, n he realy attracts the ladys. plus any one can fall for both of them
if u compare both of their looks they both are attractive,both have nice bodys if u realy love them u should know,angel can fight but for mick st john i dnt know,both vampires. but if u look at them as vampires angel's face changes while mick's eyes only change.

angel n angelus r very different characters they might look the same but their diff. angel can control his self around his friends and the pple he luvs n angelus kills almost who ever crosses his path kinda like a demon with no soul.
compare vampire shows 2 the other scary shows u watch like:reaper,supernatural,ect... for one thing reaper isn't that funny nor scary supenatural with the stars jared padalecki n jensen ackles its getting towards the scaryness moonlight is a kool show but not that scary because they only have two vampires while angel,spike n that one blonde grl is vampires, and they have lots of demons n their show.

i luv vampires weither their real r not here's sum i could think of:
angel (david boreanaz)
spike (james marsters)
mick st john (alex o'loughlin)
these two bottom names are from a movie called interview with a vampire:they are
lestat (tom cruise) and
louis (brad pitt)

January 04 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ilyria

Eeep. Obviously I'm a big Angel fan. A big Joss Whedon fan. The two series have only superficial commonalities -- a good-looking, brooding vampire P.I.

This is like asking whether brownies are better than cheesecake. Depends on your mood, yes?

I can say this: There were many moments in 'Angel' when I'd actually be hoping Angel would turn into Angelus again, just to relieve the angst and hopeless celibate brooding. Angelus brought the fun in. I can't say I'm cheering for Mick to turn evil just so we can smile for a bit.

Different shows. Different vamps. I agree that Angel would kick Mick into the next century if they were pitted against each other. On the other hand, Mick could go home with a different woman every night if he chose, and Angel ... well at least he had his hair and that great coat. :)

December 07 2007 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I am completely hooked on Moonlight. Alex O'Loughlin is delicious. The show gets better every week. Watch it. You'll see. I am hoping and praying that the writer's strike doesn't end it before more people get on board.

November 29 2007 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Penny

I like both shows but I can't tell you which one I like better because Moonlight hasn't been on long enough. Angel had, I think, five seasons plus three on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I don't think it is really all that fair to compare someone we have known for eight years to someone we have only known for nine episodes. I don't compare the shows while I am watching Moonlight. I don't compare the shows at all unless I read someone else comparing then that makes me think about it. I find Moonlight fun and love the fact that there are no demons around and that the main character chooses to be a good vampire. Angel didn't have a choice, he was the way he was because he was cursed with a soul. Whenever he lost that soul he wasn't a very nice vampire and killed a whole lot of people.
I hope Moonlight gets a chance, I love it.

November 26 2007 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrsStJohn

I was and still am a BIG fan of BTVS & Angel, own all the season dvd's, had a huge crush on Angel (LOVE David in Bones) and then Spike (even went to a Buffy convention to meet James Marsters). I enjoyed every single episode of these shows, and when I started watching Moonlight, I didn't think I was going to fall so in love with the characters. I LOVE the fact that it's a bit more 'normal', aside from vampires, there are no demons and no 'ending of the world', scythes, etc. The chemistry between Alex & Sophia as MickBeth SIZZLES! I haven't enjoyed any relationship like that in years, they can give me goosebumps! And it just keeps getting better and better!

November 20 2007 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sordale

I don't understand why people watch Moonlight. I watch the first episode and couldn't stop making links between it and Angel. Like keithnl said before, the ressemblance between the actress and the supposed love link makes it so much like an Angel clone I couldn't stand it. I mean come on people! Be creative a bit. I mean what's a detective and a journalist have in common? They investigate. Plus, a vampire. Plus the actresses looking alike. It's Angel meets Days of our lives.
I know one thing. Blood Ties with a better budget would kick the a** out of Moonlight.
And Angel rocked. That was a real tormented hero. Mick isn't tormented at all. Well maybe he is, but the actor doesn't show it.
S

November 20 2007 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juanita

I agree. It's about personal preferences. I'm no movie/tv critic, I don't have a degree in acting or directing. I'm just little old me and I know what I like when I see it.

I tried "Buffy" for a while, and "Angel". Neither one worked for me, and I am a huge Vamp fan - have been for a long time.

Could Angel kick Mick's butt? Well, based on the fact that Mick gets his butt kicked in almost every episode (sorry Alex, it's not your fault), I suppose the answer is obvious. I prefer to think that's part of Mick's charm. And hey, maybe he'll get better at fighting. I really, really like Mick's shirts (the "man boobs" reference to Angel's shirts on the first page just about had me snorting coffee out my nose!)

For me, Mick wins hands down. I love the character (yes, even his hair - I think it's great!), the acting, the scripts, the mood, the humour. The actors have great chemistry.

Is Angel any good at all? Of course he is! He's one of the most popular vamps ever to grace the screen. I'd have to have been living under a rock not to notice. He just didn't appeal to *me*.

Mick does. : )