July 30, 2014

My Name is Earl: Randy In Charge (Of Our Days and Our Nights)

by Paul Goebel, posted Nov 9th 2007 2:02PM

Jason Lee & Ethan Suplee(S03E09) "If I hadn't of been here, you'd have whatever disease Hepatitis Bob has!"

How stoked was I to see Craig T. Nelson again? I was never a fan of Coach and I thought Nelson could do a lot better. It's great to see him on a show where he can really make people laugh.

I had all but forgotten about Liberty & Ray Ray. Their re-appearance. however, answers the question I had about how the writers will deal with a new baby. They won't. Just like when Phoebe had her brother's babies, Joy will give birth and we'll never see that kid again, except maybe during sweeps.

Every week, I am more impressed with the casting on this show. The Dad from Poltergeist and the Mom from ET cast as a married couple. That sure did bring back memories.

Am I the only one who saw a double meaning in Earl's concern about "wedging in" the green issue? Isn't that what all the NBC sitcoms did? Not to go off on a tangent here but hospitals throw away nine out of every ten meals they serve to patients. Many prisons force inmates to work in dangerous e-waste facilities and anyone who has ever been on a television set, knows how much craft service gets thrown away every day. Maybe I'm too cynical, but the green theme seems a little disingenuous to me especially after seeing those insipid Bee Movie ads.

Sometimes, I think Earl is specifically targeting me as an audience member. I mean, what other reason is there to make two BJ and the Bear references in one season?

Maybe I was distracted but I didn't see Frank's escape coming at all. Here's good news for all you folks who think the prison is too limiting. Now Randy & Earl have to track down Frank. So there will be plenty of opportunities, on the outside of the prison, for Earl to make amends.

If I have any criticism about this episode it would have to be the decision to end the show with "To be continued." I've always hated those words, personally, and it leads me to believe that they'll catch Frank in the next episode, which would be a waste of a funny plotline. I did, however, love that the music behind the freeze frame was Freeze Frame by the J. Geils Band.

Which "green" message was your favorite?
My Name is Earl75 (32.3%)
30 Rock123 (53.0%)
The Office18 (7.8%)
Scrubs16 (6.9%)

Cincinnati Mike

Coming up: Pedants and the bloggers who hate them!
(#'s 4 and 5!)

November 11 2007 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Goebel

Hey, Jen! It's a quote, dumbass! Am I supposed to correct the grammar of someone I'm quoting? Maybe you don't know what those four little lines around the sentence mean since you're not a "professional writer." Now get back to the work, the cars in the drive thru are backing up and people need their McNuggets.

November 11 2007 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

"hadn't of?" Really? I don't normally bash the questionable writing by some of the posters on this website, but that's beyond bad for a "professional" writer.

November 11 2007 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

Maybe catching Frank will lead to Earl getting out much sooner... The prison is limiting, and what better good behavior than catching an escapee.

November 09 2007 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

you're joking when you ask if anyone else saw the 'double meaning', right?!?
that entire paragraph confuses me, honestly.
what part of the green message involved saving food? this wasn't NBC for Africa...
what's wrong with having convicted felons working in dangerous e-waste facilities? better that than taking away minimum wage jobs from the average american so the state can save a buck or two.
and is bee movie anti-global warming or something? or are you upset that seinfeld used natural resources to produce the bee movie minis (or whatever they were called)?

anyway, i thought the montage of Joy trying to get the baby out was hilarious and disturbing all at once... especially the plunger. eww.

November 09 2007 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Viewer

Another good episode...I'm glad to see that "Earl" is back on track.

Paul, I noticed the writers' commentary on "Green Week" too -- the warden wants Earl to include an environmentalist theme too, and he protests that he'd just be wedging it in. And that is what they did on the show -- wedged the environmental part in. It was not essential to the plot in any way.

There were also lots of great moments that had me laughing throughout the episode. For me, the hands-down funniest part was Randy's line:
"No, Earl! I'm the one who looks out for you! Who do you think replaced your old mattress after Hepatitis Bob had sex with it?!"
I was laughing so hard at that line that I almost missed the remainder of their conversation.

Like "30 Rock," "Earl" not only actively avoided getting into the environmental theme (as did "The Office," which completely ignored it and simply had Michael go into the wilderness, nothing more), but it also parodied it. That, for me, was brilliance.

But is it true that next week's episode was the last that was written before the writers' strike? That would suck...I want to see a lot more of all of NBC's Thursday night comedies...

November 09 2007 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply