April 23, 2014

Ugly Betty: A Nice Day for a Posh Wedding

by Erin Martell, posted Nov 9th 2007 2:02AM

Victoria Beckham

(S02E07) This week's Ugly Betty was all about the lavish, star-studded Brad-elmina wedding. Fashion guru Vera Wang was on hand for Wilhelmina's final dress fitting, and Posh herself nearly stole the spotlight from poor Wili. Back in Queens, Ignacio was preparing for a ceremony of his own. The Suarez sisters' inability to keep secrets nearly ruined both events.

What do you do when your matron of honor is the impossibly fabulous Victoria Beckham? Leave it to Wili to find a solution to that problem--a baggy dress, flats, and a locked janitor's closet. For once, I was on Wili's side. It's never OK to call someone your second mum, or to upstage the bride. We haven't seen much interaction between Wili and her frenemies, and I thought that Posh made a good foil for our bridezilla. I'd love to see more of Wili's catty social life away from the Mode offices.

Christina's mysterious husband finally tracked her down, and his motives were surprisingly pure (at least so far). I don't think I buy that six-months-to-live nonsense. Why is it always six months? Does anyone ever learn of their certain death eleven months in advance? Christina's usually so great about spotting trouble for Betty, so I was surprised that Stuart fooled her so easily. He's pretty easy on the eyes, though, so I can see how some quality time in Fey's Love Dungeon clouded her judgment. Does Stuart just want the money, or is the cash scam merely phase one of his revenge on Christina? Betty had better return to Mode in time to give her friend some sound advice.

Cliff took Marc back after all! For a minute it looked like Marc was back to his superficial ways when he hassled Cliff about the corduroy jacket, but Cliff met him halfway. I don't see any reason why these two can't make it work, at least for the duration of Season Two. Their flirting is always good for a quote, and Cliff doesn't seem to mind that Marc is the loyal minion of an evil fashion genius. We've gotten to see more of Amanda's life outside the magazine, and now it's Marc's turn. The St. Paul-St. James romance is one of my favorite storylines this season.

The Suarez-Grubstick relationship, on the other hand, had much bigger problems than corduroy. Betty wasn't able to keep Ignacio in the dark for very long. I thought it was cute that Betty climbed up to her bedroom window just like Hilda did when she was secretly dating Santos. Betty appeared to have a bit of anxiety about moving in with Henry, and I think it wasn't entirely due to her fight with Ignacio. That five month deadline is hanging over her head, and she has a right to worry about making a commitment. That said, the couple did have some adorable moments--spooning, planning a trip to the Transit Museum, etc.

Fortunately, Henry realized how much Betty needed her family in time for the citizenship ceremony. Ignacio and Betty had a very touching moment together, but I'm afraid that Ignacio is underestimating Wili's ability to make trouble. His citizenship status won't protect him from other forms of Wilhelmina-brand revenge. Not to pick on Betty, but isn't it bad form to bail on your end of an evil bargain once you've gotten what you want? Is this another sign of Betty's inner Mode girl?

Ignacio wasn't the only man in Betty's life to judge her harshly this week. After Ignacio practically threw Betty out of the house and called her selfish, Daniel (gulp) fired her! Daniel has been terrible to Betty over the last couple of episodes. I hate when they're on the outs, and I can't wait until they team up again. After watching Daniel lamely try to get the truth out of Dwayne, it's obvious that he needs Betty.

Is it wrong that I immediately suspected Alexis of wrongdoing when Bradford collapsed? They've been far too chummy lately, especially in light of Alexis' memory flashes. Where was Claire when all this drama was going on, anyway? For weeks I've been expecting her to put a stop to the wedding, and she was nowhere in sight. I'd be surprised if she had anything to do with Bradford's collapse--she loves her family too much. It could just be a standard heart attack, but you never know with Ugly Betty.

My favorite lines of the episode:

• "This wedding is so fancy, Armani is wearing Prada." --Marc, to Cliff
  • "It's Beck-mmmm." --Posh, on the new Beckham energy drink.
  • "We've talked about an Amanda doll, maybe a singing career, rehab...I know these are big dreams, but we've at least gotta try." --Amanda
  • "Be still my flaming heart." --Marc
  • "Mama's weave can't get sweaty on her big day." --Wili
  • "Spice Girl can't handle spicy foods. Go figure." --Wili
  • Betty (on Dwayne): "The other day he said something was a 'mute' point." Daniel: "That was me."
  • "Trans-fatty...more than meets the eye." --Amanda
  • "Who knew there were hardwood floors under that shag rug?" --Marc, on the new Cliff
  • Amanda's impromptu rendition of Kelis' "Milkshake"

Next week, Wili tries to marry Bradford in the hospital, Claire finally comes out of hiding, and Betty might refuse Daniel's offer to return to Mode.

Which of the following is least likely?
Stuart is telling the truth about his illness.75 (13.9%)
Bradford will die next week.93 (17.2%)
Betty will leave Mode forever.373 (68.9%)

Murphy

Best line of the night:

Marc to Amanda: "Your 15 minutes are almost up, Quincy Jones is in the 4th row, now sing bitch!"

I love this show!

November 12 2007 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shane

Betty has another great episode! I don't think this show is becoming campy at all - instead, I think it is really starting to hit its pace. Pretty much all of the characters are evolving and growing, and the plot lines are seamlessly putting drama and comedy together. I say, three cheers for Ugly Betty!!

and for the commenter who said Ugly Betty was the best guilty pleasure - I disagree. I feel no guilt at all, this show has some of the best writing and acting on the boob tube period. So it's a little campy and fun - that is Betty's charm!

November 09 2007 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Good going, @summer! I'm amazed at how little response there's been to Bud Cort's appearance. Usually it's the commenters and not the recapper who picks up on it, too! Sigh. "Brewster McCloud" was one of my favorite films of my teenage years....

November 09 2007 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

My favorite line was Marc's to Cliff, about his cutesie-poo voice:

"We talked about that voice. You were going to retire it and move it to Florida."

I had read Bud Cort was going to be in the episode as the priest and was eager to see him in the role, having been a fan of 'Harold and Maude' and 'Brewster McCloud'. Totally forgot he was in it by the time it aired and I never recognized him once I saw him.

Whoa. Time flies!

Thanks for pointing him out, Summer.

November 09 2007 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

Last night's was the funniest episode this season! Great lines and the appearance of Posh turned out to be more than just a stunt - and it shows she certainly has a sense of humor about her image. I don't know what will happen with Bradford. I know Alan Dale has taken a role on a British series and there were ads welcoming him "back home." He hasn't been too prominently featured on the show this season so he may be on the outs soon - and with the strike halting production who knows what will happen.

November 09 2007 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
summer

Forget about Posh, BUD CORT guest starred as the priest! Awesome.

November 09 2007 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sanna

The song is Hallelujah with Jeff Buckley if anyone was wondering...

November 09 2007 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

Ultra cute moment of the Episode was Betty and Henry in Bed. I'm regretting not paying more attention to what Henry was wearing for Jammies. Anyone notice Betty didn't wear her headgear?
I think Bradford's heartattack is normal. There was alot of stress for his old heart. I'm sure he was expecting sabotage on his wedding day from many directions.
Daniel really needs to stop throwing a tantrum and jumping to conclusions. Ofcourse it is these things we rely on for plot twist. I just wonder, when he's going to realise that he acts just like his father when he does that.

I also wish Papi would realise what a good guy Henry is. It was Henry who convinced Betty to go to the ceremony. That takes alot of integrity.

So How many more episodes do we have before we go into withdrawl?

November 09 2007 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

The same song was also played at the end of a West Wing season where CJ's bodyguard was killed.

I love every Ugly Betty episode. I don't think its become more campy at all.

November 09 2007 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bd

Now I wish I knew what "Jack" said.

This show is the best thing on television and the only non Comedy Central show I'll miss if the Writer's strike drags on.

November 09 2007 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply