October 24, 2014

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Bat Mitzvah (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 12th 2007 8:02AM

Larry David
(S06E10) "He probably read gerbil magazine and you're f*ckin' on the cover!" - Richard Lewis

Wow. That was all over the place and I loved every second of it. It might actually be the best season finale this show has had yet. Better than the incest survivors group. Better than the happy ending massage. Better than the restaurant that Larry helped open. Better than The Producers. Better than Larry dying and then snapping out of it. Why's that? Because for the entire 40 minute episode, there was only one question on your mind: Did he really stick a gerbil up his ass?

The only issue? We never got an answer. Sure, the gerbil was missing. But was it really in Larry's ass? It would explain his phantom anal tickle. The one thing that leads me to suspect otherwise is that had it really been up there, I'm pretty sure it would have started to rot or severely irritate him. This episode must have spanned a week! You can't leave a gerbil in your ass that long! I still can't believe he told Nurse Frau Farbissina that though. What did he expect to happen?

It sort of worked out for Larry though, whether that little fur-ball was in his butt or not. The Blacks' new house was ready, but rather than move out right away, they hung around for an extra day hoping to find the gerbil. No dice. It did, however, allow Larry to ask Loretta to go with him to Jeff's daughter Sammy's bat mitzvah. They went. They danced. They slept together. Larry adopted the family essentially and he and Loretta became this pseudo-married couple and even sent out holiday cards together! He was lonely... and they stayed. It's oddly sweet if you look at it that way.

Did you ever think you'd see the day that Larry David would join a black family? All of this was made even better by the fact that Cheryl saw Larry and Loretta dancing and she clearly looked angry/jealous. If and when the show comes back for a seventh season (it has to... right?), I'm sure we'll be seeing Cheryl come back for her man. After the way we saw Loretta yell at Susie though, Cheryl better be ready for a fight.

The big question? Is Larry doing all this on purpose, fully knowing that Cheryl saw? Knowing that this will make Cheryl jealous since he's living the life she always wanted, but with Loretta? However, there was no shot acknowledging that Larry saw Cheryl pouting as she danced with Glen. So maybe Larry really has fallen for Loretta. He can certainly be himself with her.

More stuff on my mind...

• Acting like a retard to scare people off... wow. Genius and horribly offensive all at the same time.
  • What was the deal with Paula (I think that was her name)? She was sort of like the female Larry. Quirky, irritating... I just would have liked to see more of her.
  • Having everyone think that you have a gerbil up your butt must be a horrible feeling. Actually... having a gerbil up your butt must be a horrible feeling.
  • If the show does return, I hope that Richard Lewis' new sitcom plays a role in it or at least has an episode devoted to it. I just want to see some scenes from it because I imagine it being terrible.
  • I loved when Jeff bet Larry to gargle some water in that restaurant. Reminded me of Ed and Mike's ten dollar bets on Ed.
  • Jeff can sign John Legend but not Ben Stiller? Odd...
  • I didn't like the bit about sign-in sheets at the doctor's office. That was already played out way back in season one in the episode "Interior Decorator."

Overall, a solid end to a so-so season. Once again, Leon was a huge reason for that. From "Mopey Dick" to that tiny, grey belly shirt he was wearing, any scene he was in was hilarious. Then he had that line about the gerbil taking an elevator up Larry's ass. Priceless. For the time being, I hope it continues to work out with Larry and Loretta, because any more new episodes need to have Leon.

Do you think that gerbil was really up Larry's butt?
Yes239 (16.7%)
No1195 (83.3%)

Paul

I love this show. I can't get enough of it. I watch reruns and laugh as if I was seeing it for the first time. I just turned 40 so can you do this for the next 30 years? I just brought the 1st 4 sessions and I will give them to my friends to see. Keep up the great work.............. It's nice to be able to make fun of people and not see a show be taken off the air. He has made fun of my color and my religion and I could care less. It's funny.......... For all of you that take this serious, get a life and find something else to worry about..........Go Larry..........

January 19 2008 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
briotron

Sooo did he have a f?!@ing gerbil up his ass or not? I'm guessing he did, from the nurse asking him how long it's been there, and he said "2 days." I totally cracked up and had to hold my head in my hands when Larry wiggled his hips while talking with Richard Lewis and Lews said "it's true, isn't it." I would have loved it if Ted Danson was in this episode to share his reaction. I would have also loved it if I could have seen Susie go off on Larry for sticking gerbils up his ass. I could see it now. "You SICK, bald F%$#!!! Treating a helpless, innocent creature that way!!..." LOL

November 23 2007 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben toosie

loved the ending, serves Cheryl right...

Hey Cheryl, I'm available, tho I dont go the "no fly zone" bit.

that series was over too fast, when does the next one start?

cant wait.. ben toosie

November 22 2007 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marel

Still one of the best shows on TV. The season finale was comparable to that of the restaurant opening; who could forget that? Finally, Larry finds a woman to stand up for him, to Susie (my favorite character), no less. I hope they're coming back next season, I'd love to see what becomes of Larry and the Blacks, with or without Cheryl (my least favorite character).

November 20 2007 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Andelman

You might be interested in this audio interview with Cheryl Hines: http://www.mrmedia.com/2007/10/cheryl-hines-001-curb-your-enthusiasm.html or this one with Jeff Garlin: http://www.mrmedia.com/2007/09/jeff-garlin-001-curb-your-enthusiasm.html .

November 19 2007 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

A great ending to a great season! I'd put it up there with seasons one and two.

I thought Loretta looked beautiful, but for anyone to suggest that Cheryl is not "buxom" or a "trophy wife" -- as some posters have -- is ludicrous.

November 19 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butterboy

I can't believe anyone had any question about whether Larry stuck a gerbil up his ass! What the hell are you people smoking???

November 18 2007 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wheez Von Klaw

A Ladyfriend of mine looks ALOT like Vivica Fox....We went to the new Sidney Lumet film, and I mentioned it to her, and she gets that all the time.Now if only she had a brother like Leon, I'd be all set. But then ,I haven't met her brother yet,just her Mom....... so who knows.

November 18 2007 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ayanna pope

does anyone know where you can get a picture of larry and the blacks greeting card

November 18 2007 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JohnT

Awesome! That sums it up! The way Larry and Loretta ended up together.. Who would have guessed? Way to go Lar! Loved the way Loretta put Susi in her place. Also loved when the Blacks were talking about the rumor about Larry and the Gerble, Larry walks in and confronts the rumor you hear Leon saying to Larry " Let him out Larry!" Wasnt Leon Trucky in Puddy-Tang?

November 16 2007 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply