October 23, 2014

WGA Strike: Get ready for reruns

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 12th 2007 9:29AM
heroesI'm about to have a lot of free time on my hands when my favorite shows go into reruns due to this writers strike. Besides the late night talk shows, the first scripted series to go into reruns is The Office, which has only one new episode left and it airs this Thursday.

Michael Ausiello over at TV Guide has a long list of television shows and how many new episodes are left. I'll give you a quick list of the most popular shows, and you can click on over to see the others (not everything is listed):
  • Heroes: Four new episodes
  • Chuck: Six
  • Dirty Sexy Money: Five
  • Grey's Anatomy: Four
  • House: Six
  • Lost: Eight
  • Pushing Daisies: Four
  • Reaper: Three to Five
  • Ugly Betty: Five or Six

Anfgela

I believe that the writers should get paid also, but they don't own all the copyright laws to their work, they do work for companies that can go and put their work else where. But hopefully they will have something worked out soon.

November 29 2007 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny

Please...I need "Life"...how many "lives" do I have left!

November 20 2007 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SHANNON

We're asking for books, movies and video games for xmas, just in case :-(

November 13 2007 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I don't watch The Office (I know, I know, I am forever hearing how good it is. It's not personal, it's just a scheduling problem.) Anyway, I had no idea it was such a quick turnaround. I always thought sitcoms were made weeks in advance. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

This whole strike really stinks. I don't blame the writers, they should get some money when their work is used in a way that creates more income for the companies. But it stinks for me, personally, because I really enjoy my tv watching (way too much, according to some who shall remain nameless.) And new episodes of my favorite shows make me happy. I always dread summer in that regard because most of my favorite shows are in reruns, and, while I do enjoy reruns (in syndication), I don't really enjoy watching them that soon after they first run. I like a little time to elaspe so I can forget some of the small details (I'm getting on in years and my memory ain't what it used to be.) Then it seems kind of new, even if I remember the basic plot of the story. I can usually catch something I missed the first time, or I can critique a guest star's performance a little closer,etc. This summer was a very pleasant surprise in that they were lots of new shows that turned out to be very good. The Riches, Damages, Saving Grace, Burn Notice, I enjoyed all these and they weren't all the new ones, either, I wanted to watch Mad Men on AMC, I read the reviews here on TVS, but, again, available time was a factor. Maybe I can catch it now. I am glad to see some of my shows still have more than just a couple of new episodes shot (though Bionic Woman and Supernatural have too few left.) Thanks for the list, also. I'd rather face the bad news head on. Hey, maybe I'll read a book! (Ha! I'm not *that* desperate.)

November 13 2007 at 5:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carterman

Y'know, I know the writer's plight is important and whatnot...but the two sides need to quit acting like huge babies and get back together and hammer a deal out ASAP. Because if I start missing any episodes of Chuck and Pushing Daisies (and I guess Heroes, that's actually gotten really good now), I'm gonna start cutting someone.

Of course, if these writers are so poor, I imagine the strike won't last TOO long, as values mean a whole lot less when that bank account is empty from being on strike. Not that I want that to come to that, but hey, I'm just a consumer, and I want shows to...consume. I FEED OFF YOUR ENTERTAINMENT.

November 12 2007 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Viewer

Damn, only one episode of "The Office" left!

"My Name is Earl" isn't on the list, but I know they finished at least this week's episode ("Midnight Bun"). The week after is supposedly the one where Earl finally gets out of prison ("Burn Victim"), but does anyone know if they finished that one?

...At least there's plenty of "30 Rock" and "Scrubs" left. And "South Park" isn't written by members of the guild, so that will always be on schedule! (Of course there's only one episode left in the season, so that's irrelevant, but at least we don't have to wait until sometime next year for the Season 11 finale, right?)

November 12 2007 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

I really doubt that they are out of family guy episodes it takes about 8 months to make one simpsons episode

So I do not see how family guy could be out of shows already

November 12 2007 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Well if you go by what Seth MacFarlane has said, Family Guy is the first casualty, with its last new episode being yesterday's. According to Fox though there's more completed episodes on the way...I guess we'll see come next Sunday.

November 12 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl

Good. My Netflix subscription has been languishing. I'm sad that most of the shows I watch regularly will be ending their seasons early, but I'm also happy that most (if not all) are planning to come back after the strike ends. I need a break.

November 12 2007 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

what about How I Met Your Mother? anyone?

November 12 2007 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply