September 30, 2014

Chuck: Chuck Versus the Truth

by Varun Lella, posted Nov 13th 2007 9:23AM
Chuck Episode 8
(S01E08) "Huh ... Tiniest cop I've ever seen." - El Capitan Awesome.

So I guess the writers are going to try out this little whole, entire let's-actually-have-a-continuous-plot thing they implemented last week with the revealing episode on Chuck's back story. Although it is good that they are trying to create a new arc (involving guest star Rachel Bilson), I think it is kind of short sighted to not include anything about the revelations from last week.

It's like he totally forgot that he was originally meant for the CIA and the Larkin didn't ruin his life. I guess when Ellie got poisoned there was a little reason for distraction, but the rest of the time he should be pulling his hair, searching for an explanation to his life. But this show isn't Heroes (where you are meant to be on edge week to week for the next plot twist). It is about having some fun, kicking some gluteus, and hot girls.

Speaking of hotties, they showed up in spades this week, didn't they? Even Mrs. Tang was kind of hot. Since I am not the subject of Tang, might as well talk about this week's sidestories first. The Buy More story was a little weak in this episode, which is a little disappointing. I had actually gotten used to the Morgan adventures the past few weeks and not getting to see Joshua Gomez do his annoying-thang made me slightly blue.

The idea was that Lester taped a conversation with Morgan that sounded unintentionally promiscuous. This combined with Lester's little act of betrayal last week has made me really despise the little weasel. In the first couple of episodes I thought his job was to be annoying, but now I think he gets pleasure in ruining people's lives. I guess the all-too-brief Buy More story was necessary to get rid of Harry Tiberius Tang, but I wish there was a little more meat on the narrative skeleton.

Also this is a random question. I thought that Tang got the assistant manager job because Chuck didn't show up to the interview and that is what the corporate guy declared. Not that Big Mike felt guilty for having an affair with Tang's wife.

I am going to miss Harry Tang. I personally think they dropped his character way too early. Hopefully, he comes back later as a wannabe agent or something like that. It could be really hilarious having to deal with a rogue Harry Tang.

The other side story involved Chuck's sex life, or more accurately lack thereof. Basically, Chuck and Sarah have to fake a relationship, which makes Chuck long for a real one. Enter Lou and you got some drama. Oh and you get to see Sarah in some nighties, which surprisingly made it past and Standards committee again. There were several jokes about the size of Sarah's "talent," which I am also surprised made prime time television, but I guess with Dirty Sexy Money and Desperate Housewives on they air, is it really that surprising?

I totally saw the ending coming from a mile a way (Trained in dealing with pentathol? Really? That's why you didn't tell Chuck you wanted his nerdy body?). I guess that makes this show more dramatic and more drama means more continuous story. I am excited to see where they go with this Lou thing next week. According to the previews, Lou is involved in some sketchy dealings which probably means that she is an agent or a baddy or related to one. But then in the teaser there was something that looked like a regeneration pod. So maybe Lou is a robot clone android cyborg sent from the future to save the Intersect? It might be a stretch, but stranger (i.e. dumber) plot twists have happened.

Today's baddy of the week was a personal fav. Kevin Weisman is one of my favorite random actors. If you haven't seen his scene in Clerks 2, go out and rent the movie and watch the Hobbit-madness and begin. Although Wesiman is currently serving a prison sentence on Moonlight, I will always remember him as Marshall from Alias. I didn't really buy that he was an "ex-gymnast," but watching him disarm both Casey and Sarah was pretty awesome.

Chuck had an existential crisis when he realized that his spy life is crossing over in to his real life. It must be scary to realize that you get can get everyone you love killed in a second by making one bad move. However, a bad move would also include telling your comatose sister that you were a spy. I wonder if the writers are going to pick up on the scene and have it revealed that Ellie knows Chuck's secret or they just going to dismiss the scene complete? I think for the sake of simplicity (and the Lou storyline) they will dismiss it or at the very least have Ellie know, but she secretly hides it so Chuck doesn't have to worry about her.

Oh Snap Award
Sarah shot a back-flipping dude in the knee. No thought. No drama. No emotion. Just dropped a cap in him. And that my friends is the definition of badass.

It was a pretty funny poke at the spy movie genre where most ninja-esqe bad guys make their escape by tumbling out of frame, but not on Chuck. Before the cold-as-ice moment, I was thinking about rewarding it to Casey for throwing a crutch at a dude or Weisman for using a hospital bed in a fight. But how could you beat such a (as Devon would say it) awesome move from such an awesome cutie.

Who should Chuck pursue?
Lou325 (38.9%)
Sarah441 (52.8%)
Morgan and move to Vermont70 (8.4%)

Joey Geraci

If she really wanted to maintain her cover, wouldn't she have told Chuck that their relationship had a chance? And apparently, it would have had the added benefit of being true! She's not (that) stupid, she saw the way Chuck looked at Lou, what the hell did she think Chuck was going to do when she told him they didn't have a chance? How pathetic does she think he is? If she really wanted to maintain the mission status quo, she would have told him there was a chance, and kept stringing him along for a while.

Definitely wasn't the best episode of the season, although it had some AWESOME one-liners.

November 18 2007 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

I don't understand. Why isn't Chuck in a cell in Guantanamo being dissected for the magic computer in his brain?

I feel like this show is written by a bunch of geeks that have never actually spoken to a hot chick and run the other way they see trouble. "Bad guy, bad guy". Chuck, stop being such a pussy!

Lou looks like a troll next to Sarah. Never realized she was so tiny and Sarah was so damn hot! I really only watch the show because Yvonne Strahovski reminds me of my 1st girlfriend. Her name was Yana and she moved to Australia. Yana is that you? Did I mention I think Sarah is way hot. Also, Awesome is awesome.

I think they need an Awesome & Tang sping off show.

November 14 2007 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

I can't believe they got rid of Harry Tang!! It's a mistake...

November 13 2007 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

I'm sorry, but there's a difference between someone making fun of sterotypes (see chris rock) and someone playing up stereotypes for laughs.

The portrayal of tang's wife brought nothing new to the table. Her role could have been played without the over the top "fob" accent and nothing would have been lost. This wasn't a wink and a nod type joke, it was simply a joke made at the expense of asians.

November 13 2007 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

Ever watch 30 Rock, eugene?

November 13 2007 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

This is the first episode of this show I've watched... and yay, another primetime show that makes fun of asians. How refreshing. I swear, if they showed some african american lady as a FRAKING carictature of sterotypes speaking in heavily accented "ebonics" there would be rioting and jesse jackson would be calling for prayer meetings to get this show off the air. But hey, it's only racism if the hate is directed towards any ethnic group other than asians and europeans, right?

It's stuff like this that just proves that ideas like racism and tolerance has been completely co-opted and that true tolerance and understanding has taken a back seat to black versus white grandstanding.

November 13 2007 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manuel Reis

It was really a very good episode, just saw it now...

I personally dislike The O.C., therefore, I kinda dislike Rachel Bilson...She's not good enough for some roles like this one...

And BTW, when the WGA strike ends, I would like to see Chuck kissing somebody! It even can be Big Mike! (ok, that would be too weird...)

November 13 2007 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carterman

Y'know, Adam Baldwin is exceptional at playing jerk characters you love to hate, if his stints on Day Break and now Chuck are to be believed. This episode was really funny, but I'm kinda sad to see Chuck and Sarah's relationship on hold, but I guess that we've got to have something to hope for in the future, eh?

Also, when Sarah shot Kevin Weisman's character in the leg...hilarious, and reminded me of the scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy just shoots the guy using fancy swordwork.

"
I really didn't like Ellie going off on Awesome. Yes, we all recognize that he's annoying. But I thought that she genuinely loved him. So far, Ellie is my least favorite character. It has nothing to do with the actress. I just hate the way they're writing her."

Well, Ellie kinda had to go off on Captain Awesome because of the potassium benzoate in her system that caused her to be just a little too honest. The scene made sense to me, I mean, there are people you love, but aren't there things that annoy you about them as well?

The only thing I didn't like about the whole episode was "Toxic". Britney Spears for the loss.

November 13 2007 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Definitely my favorite episode of the season, too. The Chuck/Sarah storyline is great, and I love seeing Kevin Weisman and Rachel Bilson. Would have probably watched this episode for either of them even if I didn't watch the show regularly.

November 13 2007 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bbrown

My favorite part was when they went to Weismans' apartment and knocked and when he asked who it was Chuck responded with the CIA, FBI and me. I'm a little more complicated to explain. Or something along those lines. And yes the chin chiseled by Michaelangelo himself was pretty good too. Best episode yet IMO.

November 13 2007 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply