July 24, 2014

Spike cancels The Kill Point

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 14th 2007 3:42PM

The Kill PointI know, I know: 69% of you are saying, "what the heck is The Kill Point?" (50% of you might even be saying, "what the heck is Spike?" I call those people "women.")

Spike has canceled the Donnie Wahlberg drama after only one season. The show actually got decent ratings, especially among guys of a certain age, but the network has decided to go crazy on reality shows instead of investing in original, scripted programming. A spokesman for the network gave this quote: "We are out of the serialized one-hour business. We need programming that we can repeat." Oh, I'm sure TV fans are gritting their teeth over that one.

I never watched The Kill Point (the plot description makes it sound a little like CBS' Smith), so I have no idea if it was worth renewing or not, but I do cringe every time a show is pushed aside to make way for more unscripted shows. I love it when Spike runs James Bond movie marathons, but I can do without more reality shows and ultimate fighting.

[via TV Tattle]

Underseen

I almost turned it off half way thru the first episode, found it extreamly dull but it did pick up pace quite well after that

however i saw this as a miniseries as well, i never would have expected a second season

November 15 2007 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaxx

I liked that show... I loved Donnie's character. The writer for the series probably couldn't come up with any more obviously incorrect grammar/spelling mistakes to put in the series, but I could help with that. ;)

November 15 2007 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

RIP Spike.
I don't even remember what channel number it was/is on my cable system. Reality shows? I've had my fill of those.

November 15 2007 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mimi

Hmmm...your attempt at humor went off track there Bob.

I am a female that enjoyed watching Kill Point and I'm pretty ticked off that they won't renew it simply because they want to be able to re-run crappy programming that no one wants to see in the first place.

Kill Point was good - it had some flaws in the middle eps but did a good job at resolution in the end. I thought it had potential but now I guess we'll never know.

Look Bob - another lady that knows what Spike is - perhaps it is time for an apology on your bad attempt at a joke. Dork.

November 15 2007 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

"I know, I know: 69% of you are saying, "what the heck is The Kill Point?" (50% of you might even be saying, "what the heck is Spike?" I call those people "women.")"

"I never watched The Kill Point..."

Something just doesn't seem right.

November 15 2007 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
La-Di-Dah

I watched the show. I liked it.

November 14 2007 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

Anyone think that "We are out of the serialized one-hour business. We need programming that we can repeat" is just code for "We can't get writers because of the strike"? I don't know if the original writer(s) have anything to do with the strike, but it seems kind of coincidental that their decision not to go forward with a second season has come not too long after the writer's strike commenced.

It's too bad, really. I loved the first season, and was skeptical about a second season, but the fact that they've confirmed that it won't happen, it's kind of like a crushed dream. Oh, well. I guess I won't have a reason to watch Spike, now that "The Kill Point" is done and I've seen every episode of CSI, ten times over.

P.S. Look, Bob! A female fan of "The Kill Point" who knows what Spike is!

November 14 2007 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

"to"

November 14 2007 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aberdeen

I liked The Kill Point in spite of the fact that it was just a poor version of Michael Mann's Heat, albeit with a twist. I'm not sure I'd want to see a series made out of it, though, I think the odd two or four hour episode, like those Robert Parker Jess Stone Mysteries would be better.

Besides, there were some pretty big plot holes in it...

November 14 2007 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

Way too stereotype women, Bob.

November 14 2007 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply