October 25, 2014

Bionic Woman: Trust Issues

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 15th 2007 9:05AM

Bionic Woman(S01E07) "Would it kill you guys to put up a painting, a plant?" - Jaime, to Ruth, about the cold decor at HQ.

Jaime Sommers: Worst. Spy. Ever.

Seriously, I don't care how much money has gone into her, I'd fire her right now, send her back to bartending. She follows a bad guy with a suitcase and then gets distracted by a cell phone call from boyfriend Tom? She couldn't just not answer it or maybe tell him she'll call him back? What is she, 14? She's probably also mad that she's has to, like, totally work and everything, at the same time there's a new Gossip Girl on The CW!

Not only is she distracted by a cell phone call, it leads her to cause a car accident just to get the suitcase back, thereby risking a lot of people seeing her. Couldn't she just keep running and follow the car until it stops? Which leads me to ask, what is with her running anyway? Sometimes she seems to be able to move as quick as The Flash (tonight's scene where she got the upper hand on Tom's cohorts), other times she just seems to run as fast as a really good sprinter. It's really inconsistent. Same thing with her arm strength (she can't pull herself up on a roof with the same bionic arm she picks up other people with and bends giant fans?) and her hearing. But they probably wouldn't have long missions on the show if her powers were consistent, and we'd have to watch 5 minute webisodes on nbc.com.

More bad spy stuff: when little sis asks her and Tom how they met, Jaime says she bought a timeshare. Huh? What a lousy lie to tell your sister that you live with. What, you wouldn't have mentioned that earlier? She just seems really inept. The worst spy since Maxwell Smart. At least he solved cases by accident most of the time. Jaime's ineptness causes the death of her partner.

That's right, Isaiah Washington is killed by an old girlfriend assassin at the end of the episode. Maybe he would have lived through the bullet wound in his gut if Jaime didn't just stand there and looked like a confused supermodel while he was on the ground dying (and why didn't she run fast to get the assassin?). I didn't expect Washington to be off the show so quickly, though it was painfully predictable that the whole "Antonio Pope is a bad guy" plot was going to turn out to be a red herring (another lame deduction by Jaime - she's on a roll!). I wonder what exactly the point is in killing Pope. I mean, Jaime has already gone through the death of her fiancee' (also by an assassin's bullet - she's bad luck), so why bring on yet another company guy for a handful of episodes just to kill him off? Probably because Washington only agreed to do a certain number of eps? I guess all those plans for a spinoff series involving Washington's character are off, eh? I don't think this plot development had the emotional impact they were hoping for because there wasn't enough character development with Pope.

Despite all this - and I can't really explain my reaction - I still kinda enjoy this show. It's not going to show up on my "Best" list at the end of the season and not on the "Worst" list either. It's just an action show that I don't mind watching for a hour every Wednesday night.

Did you think that Antonio Pope was really bad?
Yes, I have to admit I did.56 (25.1%)
Nah, it was obvious there was another explanation.167 (74.9%)

Gaby1712

I still enjoy the show. I like her little arrogance of being bionic (it says”hey, I’m bionic you’re not”), it means she’s now happy with her fate. And it still packs good jokes.

But, hey Jonas, you must protect your ‘investment’ by giving her bullet-proof vest and a gun. I suggest a thin lightweight pistol like 9mm/40 cal Walther PPS (By the way, James Bond uses the older PPK). And keep Jordan Bridges on the show.

November 17 2007 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Tim, the shells for the sniper rifle (I forget which model it is, but I know I rule with it in Hitman) uses depleted uranium. I doubt the handgun she shot him with uses the same rounds.

November 16 2007 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

It's never a good idea for a show in it's first season to kill off a character the viewers are getting comfortable with. Producers wise up:(

November 16 2007 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corrector

Does anyone know the name of the song played at the end of this episode? Piano medley with a vocalist that sounded a lot like Bjork.

November 15 2007 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

I thought that it was a pretty good episode. It was nice to see Jamie run in slow motion after the car in the opening scene, only if it was for a few seconds. I thought I read somewhere that NBC is thinking about cancelling this show. Don't do that. I think that the show is just starting to get good. Although, it does have some areas that they have to clear up. Like first of all, What happened to Sarah? I haven't seen her in the last three episodes. Second, what has happened to Will's father? Where has he gone since he escaped from prison? and finally, I hope that they do more scenes with her doing things in slow motion. I think that is cool. I know that the show has taken a huge tumble in the ratings, but i know from other websites that i have seen in relation to Bionic Woman, there are still some loyal fans out there that like this show. I happen to be one of them. I will continue to watch this show every Wednesday night. I have faith in this show. NBC: DON'T CANCEL THIS SHOW. If the fans came back for "Jericho", it can work for this show, maybe.

November 15 2007 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

This show needs to be on Friday night. That's where shows go when their plots have such gaping holes. I'm more willing to give crappy shows a chance when they are on Friday for some reason.

That said, there are a couple things I want to mention - Jaime didn't say she bought a timeshare. Lil sis thinks she SELLS timeshare. Then there is the gunshot that killed Antonio - it was a depleted uranium shell, there is no coming back from a shot with that. So her standing there looking confused or not...it wouldn't have mattered.

November 15 2007 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

Is Washington still supposed to get a spin-off? Wasn't it reported he was only getting five or so episodes?

November 15 2007 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Jonathan - Become one of us. There's a chant you can learn! And Akbar Fazil will baptize you!

November 15 2007 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greyc

Amen, Jimmy!!

I am soooo disappointed in this show, I can’t even begin to express it. I was a HUGE fan of the original when I was kid (still remember running in slow-“bionic”-motion in the school yard at recess) so I was so excited when I heard they were going to do an updated version. Boy has that bubble bursted – BIG TIME! Bad writing and even worse acting especially by the lead. The only reason I’m still “watching” is because I record it every week for my bother who works nights. (He loves it for some reason.) If it wasn’t for sibling love I’d have been gone weeks ago. My greatest fear is that, as a lead-in, it’s hurting “Life” which comes on right after it. Now that is an excellent show! I fear people have turned away from this garbage and don’t tune back in when “Life” comes on. [Sigh] In my perfect world, “Life” would come on after “Heroes.”

And what is up with the way MR walks and runs? Not Jaime Sommers, Michelle Ryan. She’s got this weird, over exaggerated, bouncy gate that looks so odd it’s distracting. I hope she’s wearing a sports bra because she’s going to break all the tissues in her chest.

Oh yeah, I’m glad Isaiah Washington’s character is gone (hopefully for real) too. When I heard that a-hole was going to be on the show I wanted to hurl. He needs to go away for a long, long time and hope that most of us will forget what a-hole he is as a human being, and then trying a come back.

November 15 2007 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jazzie

I WILL NOT WATCH another episode. Isaiah Washington was the only reason I tuned in. When he wasn't on an episode, I found it painful to watch...but I did. Now, that he wont be back - Neither will I. Also, the viewer was so right, THE UNIT is EXCELLENT. Dennis Haysbert certainly deserves Emmy consideration. The Show should be reviewed and hyped up. The men are Excellent and so are the amazing women actors on this show.

November 15 2007 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply