October 23, 2014

Dirty Sexy Money: The Wedding

by Erin Martell, posted Nov 15th 2007 12:30PM

Donald Sutherland and Natalie Zea

(S01E07) This week, Dirty Sexy Money really proved its worth in the primetime soap category. No one has made a melodramatic declaration since the pilot, so I was happy to hear Tripp's vow to destroy Simon. Only a scheming billionaire can talk about destroying someone with any credibility, and Tripp pulled the scene off nicely. He also made for an amusing drunk.

What was the deal with Brian sitting at the foot of the bed during Karen and Freddy's make-out session? Creepy! Aside from counseling the couple about their vows while they were in their underwear, Brian appeared to be a decent minister. He managed to deliver a sentimental, snark-free sermon at the wedding, perhaps while pondering his own troubled marriage. I found it difficult to pity Brian's concerns about Mei Ling Hwa when he was sleeping with Andrea (played by a new actress). For me, that came out of nowhere. Fortunately, it looks like we're going to get more of angry Brian in the coming weeks, now that he's fighting to keep Brian Jr. in the country.

The writers are definitely messing with our heads with regard to the whole DNA test storyline. Tripp made another cryptic remark to Kiki about Nick being family, and told her she was welcome to have her wedding at the Darlings' home. After hearing some of Kiki's views on the Darling lifestyle, I don't think she'd have a problem with that. Who knew that she was so obsessed with wealth and privilege? I suppose she can't help it. Like Brian Jr., Kiki has gotten a sense of what money can do (albeit on a smaller scale) now that her Dad is on Tripp's payroll. Do we have a junior gold-digger on our hands?

Kiki wasn't the only one willing to go to great lengths to enjoy the advantages of wealth. Ellen agreed to let Patrick's affair with Carmelita continue--with a few ground rules, of course. I really hope that the first meeting between Ellen, Patrick, and Carmelita makes it into a future episode. What is the extent of Ellen's ambition? Does she simply want to be the wife of a powerful man, or does she want some of that power for herself? More importantly, what did Simon Elder hope to accomplish by leaking Patrick's secret to Ellen? I thought he had done enough to turn Patrick against Tripp. Then again, who am I to question an evil techno-philanthropist?

Letitia and Karen will be busy plotting their own mischief in the coming weeks. I felt terrible that Freddy was dumped right after his "proposal," but he's probably better off without the Darling drama. You don't want to be too close to people that can get a marriage annulled at the wedding reception. Besides, $3 million for 45 minutes of wedded bliss isn't a bad deal. I'm afraid of what Letitia might be capable of when it comes to her children's happiness. She's trying to give Karen the kind of ideal relationship that she didn't have with Dutch, which worries me. Using your children to make up for your own regrets in life never turns out well.

Tripp's speech at the end of the episode gave me chills. All that was missing was Heather Locklear--seriously, if the show is renewed, she has to make an appearance. His declaration was a sharp contrast to his drunken behavior during the rest of the episode. How exactly do you "completely and utterly" destroy someone? What does Simon's evil plan have to do with targeting real estate developers? I have to believe that a seasoned manipulator like Tripp can beat Simon at his own game, but who knows? Next week's Thanksgiving showdown should be interesting.

My favorite lines of the episode:

• "I'm thinking a golf theme would be nice. Hazards, fairways, and holes-in-one." --Freddy, on the wedding vows
  • "Private number? That's so 2006." --Juliet
  • "Staying mad at me is expensive, and it's free to forgive." --Natalie's song lyrics
  • "I really believe that this time, it's going to last...for quite some time." --Tripp, on Karen's marriage
  • "I can tell when these things won't work out, Nick. I'm a pro." --Karen, on her quickie divorce
  • "There really is such a kind person buried deep down inside you. Deep, deep down inside you. Somewhere." --Tripp, to Brian
  • "It's none of my business how you like your eggs." --Simon, on Patrick's sex life

Next week, a very Darling Thanksgiving--guns included.

What was the soapiest moment in this episode?
Tripp vowing to destroy Simon.53 (16.6%)
Simon turning Patrick against Tripp.13 (4.1%)
Karen ending her marriage after 45 minutes.117 (36.6%)
Letitia conspiring with Karen to break up Nick's marriage.134 (41.9%)
Another moment (describe in comments).3 (0.9%)

Shmirdawg

Did it seem that the scene with Karen and Nick before the wedding was cut short?

November 19 2007 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glen Piper

Kenneth was Tripp's brother - IIRC in the pilot, he was mentioned as Patrick's uncle...

November 19 2007 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Either way -- Nick and Karen would be half siblings..right?

November 15 2007 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

"What does Simon's evil plan have to do with targeting real estate developers?"

I assumed it was part of his plan to rebuild Manhattan, along the plan he showed Nick a couple of weeks ago. If he can destroy the other big developers, he'll have a free field to come in and snap up their properties.

I agree with @Khamel: Wednesday has become my favorite TV night of the week, when last year there wasn't a single thing I watched that night.

And I second @David's thanks to Erin for confirming that that was a different actress playing Andrea--I kept thinking she looked wrong, and couldn't figure out what it was.

I think that Letitia's promise to help Karen land Nick is probably the final nail in the coffin of the possibility that they're brother and sister. My money is still on Brian for Dutch's kid--it would make his hatred for Nick all the more ironic. I don't think it's Patrick; Tripp's bond with him is too strong. Wasn't there an elder son? Kenneth, or something? Didn't Tripp once say to Patrick that after Kenneth's death it had become his responsibility to carry on in politics? Maybe that eldest son was Dutch's?

November 15 2007 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I just started watching it last week, or rather I started Tivo'ing it since I watch Life on NBC at 10 PM Wed.

It's a really fun show. I like it. A great way to revitalize the dynasty soap opera genre.

November 15 2007 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I agree with BC -- the twins are my favorite part of the show. We need more Juliette and her brother!

November 15 2007 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC

$3 million for 45 minutes of wedded bliss isn't a bad deal -- I agree where do I sign up at ????? I knew the minute he dropped to his knees in the elavator it was doomed -- but minutes later -- too funny! And Nick had the papers drawn up in what like 30 minutes....

Tripp has raised a bunch of idiots for kids! He better hope he lives forever because whatever business he runs they would destroy it (probably faster than those 2 on Cane running the rum business).

Letitia telling Karen she would help him get Nick definately lets us know that Karen is truely Tripp's daughter.

I can't see why Simon would tip Patrick's wife to the affair, but I knew she would accept it to stay married to a Darling -- especially one running for office.

There was no mention of the "mystery of the dad's death" and that is a very slow moving storyline!

One note: not enough of the twins this week!!!!!!

November 15 2007 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Ah ... thank you Erin, for telling us that the actress who played Brian Jr's mom was NOT the same actress who played her in the earlier episode. That was bothering me the whole time. ("I could have sworn she was a brunette two months ago ...")

November 15 2007 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

those probably should have been + instead of -, kind of a screwy formula with the -.

November 15 2007 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

pushing daisies - the oc II (aka Gossip Girl) - Dirty Sexy Money = most fun 3 hours on TV. not the best buy alot of fun.

November 15 2007 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply