August 22, 2014

Ugly Betty: I See Me, I.C.U.

by Erin Martell, posted Nov 16th 2007 12:40AM

America Ferrera, Mo'Nique, and Christopher Gorham

(S02E08) There have been a lot of sad episodes of Ugly Betty this season, and this week was no exception. Don't let the above photo fool you; the wacky antics were few and far between. For the most part, "I See Me, I.C.U." dealt with the fallout from the disastrous Meade-Slater wedding. Guest star Mo'Nique (as the cleverly named L'Amanda) did her best to lighten the mood, though.

So, Bradford's gone. Alan Dale cannot catch a break, can he? His characters have died of heart attacks in two earlier shows, and now this. If Charles Widmore dies on Lost, I think he can officially call himself cursed. I'm actually OK with Bradford's passing. Lately I had felt like Bradford's storylines (doubting Daniel, hating various members of his family, etc.) were being recycled, and there wasn't much left for him to do. I was glad that he acted like a caring husband and father in his last moments, though. His final conversation with Claire was especially touching. He could also be the reason that Betty returns to Mode--fingers crossed. Rest in peace, Bradford, you silver fox.

When Alexis was encouraging her father to go into the light, I was sure that she was involved in his death. She looked pretty devastated after Bradford died, though, so I think my imagination was just running wild. The loss had better motivate Alexis and Daniel to join forces against Wili. From where I sit, she's winning the war for Mode. If Bradford hadn't died, she would have taken over on Monday and destroyed the magazine. The Meade siblings need to play catch-up, since neither one is a match for Wili on an individual level. I can't wait to find out what her proposition to the doctor entailed. Any ideas, viewers?

Henry and Betty's weekend Mode caper was actually pretty cute. They made a great team during Petra-gate, and they worked well together this week. They did some dorky flirting, and Henry took one for the team by distracting the smitten L'Amanda. You can't blame her for crushing on Sugarstick. If Henry's willing to actively participate in Betty's crazy schemes, he could be a keeper. On an unrelated note, I think that Amanda would freak if she came face to face with her weekend counterpart.

I'm a little disappointed that Claire is going back to jail, but I suppose it was inevitable. Will we get more scenes of Daniel and Alexis visiting Claire in prison, or will the writers find some way of getting her out again? If only there was a way to get the old Claire back! It was thoughtful of Claire to let Yoga off the hook by telling the police that she was dead. This is probably the last we'll see of her. Perhaps Claire will get another scary "mentor" in prison.

I thought that the scenes between New Betty and Old Betty were sweet. Old Betty's argument was a strong one. Since she started working at Mode, Betty has done a lot of things that she isn't proud of. She was a little hasty to judge her overall experience on the bad experiences alone, however. A lot of great things have happened since she became Daniel's assistant. She met Daniel and Christina, who are two of her closest friends. She also met Henry, and began one of the cutest nerd-romances ever. Betty wasn't going to be a wide-eyed goody-two-shoes forever, and I think she's found a reasonable balance between good and evil at Mode. A little Mode mischief never hurt anyone.

My favorite lines of the episode:

• "Find this 'Charity' person and kill her." --Marc
  • "You may never have gotten his love and approval, but at least you got his jawline." --Amanda
  • "I'm sweet like sugar, soft like suede, but unlike a piano, I never get played." --The ultra-smooth Henry Grubstick
  • "Is that water boiling underneath you? 'Cause I think I smell a plan brewing." --Marc
  • "So, in conclusion, you are a weenie." --Betty's strongly worded letter to Marc
  • Wili nicknaming Henry and Betty "Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-Diego."

Next week--Bradford's funeral, and the beginning of Wili's hostile takeover.

What's your take on Bradford's departure?
It was the right time. There wasn't much left for him to do.197 (53.2%)
He'll be missed.99 (26.8%)
I could go either way.69 (18.6%)
Other (elaborate in comments).5 (1.4%)

Nicole

This episode made me cry!! lol. When Bradford told Betty to take of [Daniel] his son...

December 08 2007 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iwannabelikebetty

did anyone catch the fake website that they flashed on the screen? it was holiday oriented but darnnit i erased my tivo before i went back to look for it! anywho... i love this show, and my HUSBAND loves this show.. thats the test right there, if a 40 something macho guy thinks its one of the best shows on tv, you know its a keeper :)

November 19 2007 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Ratings for the show are fine -- averaging 10 million viewers each week -- It actually is getting quite good again. I'm a bit surprised that killed of Bradford (any O.C. fans see the similarities?? It was a mistake to do it on that show) Just wondering who made the choice to leave (the actor or the show?)

If you haven't checked out ugly betty lately, you should.

November 18 2007 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

Lydia Lilli: Justin is SUPPOSED to be like that. Do you even watch the show? I can't believe that UB hasn't been getting amazing ratings anymore, i think it is just as good as last season even with the darker themes and such. It is still hilarious and such. Oh well, some people have short attention spans.

November 17 2007 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

I have to agree my favorite line was "inner superhero" I was half expecting Betty to complete her comment with "little mice who run fast and masked wrestlers." That was have perfected the line. This was a great turning point episode. A little suprised that we heard nothing about Christina's loverboy, Stuart.
I am also glad that Betty's family is starting to stand-up for her after everything she has done. Papi and Sister have been really good and they were pretty funny with Claire and Yoga. Think Papi's got eyes for Claire?

November 16 2007 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

I think Willi pays the doctor off for either being a witness or performing the marraige (maybe he is an ordained minister, rabbi or priest!)

November 16 2007 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sabercat

I agree with Babygirl. I think that Mark is going to "marry" Willi and Bradford and the doctor is going to be the "witness" Thats the only plan that makes sense as Willi is going to be running things next week. She is going to own Mode since they're married now.

I thought this episode was good. The scenes with Betty and Henry were cute and the end with Alexis and Daniel in the empty room was extreamly touching.

November 16 2007 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ray

babygirl, i don't think that she would have the doctor act as a witness. She still needs Bradford's signature on the license, and there would be no reason for her to have that specific young doctor be the witness. I think others are onto something with the sperm extraction idea.

Btw, my favorite line of this show had to be when they found nothing in the safe and Wilhelmina just says
"BALLS."

November 16 2007 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myra Brown

Mark and other respondent: I am black. What-eva.
Can all of us get past pc and b.s. stereotypes? There are sexually voracious women of all colors or have either of you heard of Samantha on Sex and the City? and they're having fun. and you know what else - it's a bloody TV show.

November 16 2007 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myra Brown

Wilhemina is going to have the doctor harvest Bradford's sperm is my guess. the will leaves everything to his children according to Betty. If she cannot marry him, she'll produce the 3rd child, who will own a third of Meade/Mode, wh/ means Willi would be an equal partner w/ Alexis and Daniel.
Despite the heaviness of Bradford's death and Clare's surrender (they didn't capture her, she walked into the light), M'nique was fabulous and Chris Gorham is a gangsta!!

November 16 2007 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply