September 1, 2014

Stargate Atlantis: The Seer

by Richard Keller, posted Nov 17th 2007 5:22PM

The Cast of Atlantis

(S04E08) One of the good things about shows like Stargate Atlantis is that they can mold episodes around events that took place a few episodes or a few seasons ago in order to tie up loose ends or progress the season further. This is what we saw in this week's episode as many plotlines that were left up in the air over the past season and a half merged into one story that furthered both the Wraith and the Replicator stories.

As a whole, these plotlines melded well to make the episode compelling but not utterly confusing. This is a good trait for a semi-serialized show like Atlantis. As I've probably said in many other reviews television shows really need to be accessible by new viewers at any point in a season run. If the show is so insular that only rabid fans would understand what is going on, then the fan base will remain stagnant.

Atlantis doesn't have that problem from what I can see. Viewers can tune into pretty much any episode and get a sense of what the show is all about fairly quickly. Take this week's episode which featured a return appearance of The Doctor Richard Woolsey, the appearance of a Wraith that Sheppard met last season while imprisoned by the Genii, and the consequences of McKay's actions on the Replicators from the beginning of the season. Even with all of that past history coming to roost a new viewer would have probably felt fairly comfortable in understanding what was going on.

For us regular viewers all of this just moved the story of the Wraith-Replicator war in a new direction. That's because the Replicators are now attacking human settlements. That is not sitting well with McKay, who reprogrammed a virus early in the season to have the Replicators focus their attention not on the citizens of Atlantis but on the Wraith. The question now is whether they end up working with a member of the Wraith to reverse the programming or do they just let the destruction continue.

They really had no choice but to work with the Wraith to resolve the issue. In my opinion it was one of those "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of cases that really wasn't satisfying for either party. It looks like the Atlantis team eventually came out ahead, though, as two Wraith ships that didn't trust one another blew each other out of space.

This makes me wonder what will happen with the Wraith that remained in Atlantis. Once they all work out the Replicator virus together do they send him back home, or keep him locked up in a cell, or does he become a reluctant member of Sheppard's team. It would certainly change the dynamic of his group if the Wraith was to go on further adventures with the team.

Besides the continuing story of the Wraith-Replication situation there were other things going on in this week's Atlantis. One was the discovery of a Seer who could glimpse into the future. While this portion of the story was over-hyped in the previews it only played a small part in the episode. Yet, it did have a significant impact, especially to Colonel Carter, who had a vision of a Replicator attack on the city. Unlike the other visions that McKay and Teyla had, Sam's vision did not come to fruition this time around. Which means that the Replicator attack could happen at any time.

Then there was the appearance of Woolsey, who was in the city for Carter's three-month evaluation. I enjoyed his appearance because it gave Sam a chance to show what type of administrator she was. The best part was when she berated Woolsey in front of her people after he told Colonel Sheppard that he was taking over control of the city. The man had it coming to him. And, I may be wrong here, but it seems like Woolsey was channeling Star Trek:Voyager's Doctor when he asked Dr. Keller about the Seer's condition. When he muttered 'Sorry, force of habit' that could have either been a take on the Doctor or Woolsey's ability to butt into everything.

Next week -- A Star Trek Enterprise marathon lets Atlantis take a break. When it comes back in two weeks McKay and his sister are reunited due to some unfortunate circumstances.

What should happen to the Wraith left on Atlantis?
He should be kept in a cell and used as an advisor to Wraith actions.91 (34.2%)
They should return him back to one of the Wraith hives.61 (22.9%)
He should become a part of Sheppard's team.114 (42.9%)

Wendy

This show isn't the same without Weir and Beckett, two popular characters who never should have been dumped. Carter doesn't bring anything new, and the new "hot" doctor is horrendously bad. "The Seer", really didn't have much to do with The Seer, unfortunately. My once fav show continues to spiral down to "Flush Gordon" territory. Sad. Very sad.

November 20 2007 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Kjell, you are defintely missing something. I don't do the whole itunes thing (I get my tv normally and refuse to support apple) but here are the aired episodes of Atlantis so far:

401:Adrift
402:Lifeline
403:Reunion
404:Doppelganger
405:Travelers
406:Tabula Rasa
407:Missing
408:The Seer

November 19 2007 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kjell

Uhmm.. sorry.. but wasnt that just the fifth episode? I have a itunes seasons pass and got 1, 2, 3 and 4.. but now it's 8?

Am i missin something?

November 19 2007 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I agree that the Replicator planet was what was destroyed. Probably by the Wraith once they alter the virus. I agree that I have enjoyed the enemies focused on one another while Atlantis has had some character development and allowed Sam to settle in.

November 19 2007 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Horse N. Buggy

So, does no one else think that maybe Sam saw the destruction of the Replicator city? It and Atlantis look exactly alike - how could you tell the difference in a quick glimpse?

I don't like the turn they took with the Replicator-Wraith war. I liked having both bad guys out of the way for a little while. It's time for our team to make friends with people who trade more than nuts, berries and baskets.

I have to agree that Sam brings more warmth than Weir. Actually, I should say Tapping brings more warmth than Higginson. I REALLY liked the original actress who played Weir on SG-1. Higginson never embodied the character the way that woman did. I'd take her over either Tapping or Higginson.

November 19 2007 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

Mary made an excellent point about Carter bringing warmth to the position, I do believe it was part of the reason I always had difficulty with Wier. Also Mary, I'm a sick human being because I watched all 10 seasons during this 2006-2007 tv season (I had a friend that had the sets), as well as the first 3 seasons of SGA!

Oreo: I thought it odd as well that Carter didn't bring up the Jonas Quinn incident. Actually more than odd, it was downright wrong. However this case was different since this man was born with this ability and he was able to push the visions into other people's minds.

November 18 2007 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

This past summer I had some time to devote to catching up on shows that I missed during their initial broadcast. In addition to the much missed Veronica Mars, I caught up on Supernatural, Stargate Atlantis and three seasons of SG1. Since I did not start in the beginning with SG1 I do not have the history that some people have with the show. I can understand their devotion to the mythology of the stargate and to SG1. But because to the way I started I saw SGA as a separate show, not as a spin-off and one I actually preferred to the original.

I like the Wraith better as an enemy than the Goa'uld. I like seeing where the unit lives and works together than just command central. I really enjoyed SG1 - miss Daniel and Jack and Sam and hope to see them together again - but I really like this show as its own.

Having said that I can see that keeping Sam the way she was at SG1 is not reasonable. She is in a command position and therefore needs to act as Elizabeth did in many situations. But I think that she brings an accessibility and warmth to the role that Weir never did. The talks with Shepard are much more as military colleagues and I think her experience in the military will allow her to go off world more. I think her science background will evolve to where we will see her as a colleague with Rodney. So I guess is that there is not only a personality plus with her but more flexibility with her character than the negotiator that Weir was.

A final comment about other posts. Some, Many ? of the viewers of SGA did not watch all of SG1, so Sam bringing in they already did that two years ago is informative but should not be a complaint. I for one do not want to hear Carter say every time Oh I already did this with Jack and Daniel. I think used sparingly where she can use the information - like in Doppelganger is appropriate but not every episode - that would just continue the sense of this is just a spinoff and it should stand as its own show now.

I for one and really enjoying season four and feel like the team has really jelled. There has been room for story development and exploration of the characters. I think that Carter will be wound into this show and will grow appropriately. Hopefully she can give us an alternative to Rodney saving the day everytime.

November 18 2007 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Not a bad episode, but a shame that most of the "science" dialogue was lifted (almost verbatim) off of SG-1 Season 6's episode "Prophecy".

November 18 2007 at 5:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Good God Janet I agree about Carter every week and every week people complain that I'm bitching about it and that... blah blah... so I took this week off.

She still is looking like she is working in a gym! It drives me insane. This week it was her hair. I think that after 10 years of short hair they don't know what to do with it being so long. She can't cut it because she needs the long hair for her web series. But damn they need to do something with her hair!

November 18 2007 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet

The outcome of the story lines are getting so predictable that one can practically miss half the episode and still know the outcome. I almost want to fast-forward, but I refrain because I am afraid I will miss that one quintessential line that will make it all worth it. Frankly, I am getting just a little bored, but will stick it out because once a fan. . . They really need to do a makeover on Carter--ugly uniforms, a trip to the hair salon, etc. Anyone else feeling this way, too?

November 17 2007 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply