November 26, 2014

Alex O'Loughlin: In the Limelight - VIDEO

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 18th 2007 2:18PM
Alex O'LoughlinI've admitted it already: I watch Moonlight. It may not be the best new series of the year but it's entertaining and has a lead character that makes a lot of female TV fans melt. Before Moonlight, I had no idea who Alex O'Loughlin was. My own curiosity added to all the comments I've read here in the past weeks about the actor, I thought it was time we got to know the new vampire on the block a little bit more.

One of the reasons we don't know 30ish-year-old Australian actor Alex O'Loughlin much is because, according to his IMDb profile, he still is somewhat a newbie at acting. He graduated from the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney, Australia, in 2002, and, since then, he appeared in about ten TV and movie projects.

He is probably better known to us for his work as Detective Kevin Hiatt in the hit FX series The Shield. However, you may have caught a glimpse of him in movies such as The Holiday (he had a tiny role as part of a "kissing couple") and The Invisible. You can currently see him on the big screen in the movie August Rush starring Keri Russell, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Robin Williams. He will also appear in Whiteout with Kate Beckinsale.

Moonlight is O'Loughlin's first major US TV project in which he has the lead role. The actor also took a turn behind the camera when he co-wrote (or at least he had the storyline idea) and co-produced a movie in which he starred, Feed. One fun fact about him is that he was considered for the role of James Bond, role that went to Daniel Craig.

Alex O'Loughlin was nominated twice for his role in the Australian mini-series Mary Bryant. The first nomination was for The Australian Film Institute's "Best Lead Actor in Television" and the second was for the Logie Awards' "Most Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series." TV Guide recently named him one of the 25 hottest new faces on TV.

To learn more about the actor, visit the following sites: Alex O'Loughlin Online, Adoring Alex, Alex O'Loughlin's IMDb page, and Alex O'Loughlin's wikipedia page. Moonlight airs on Fridays on CBS.

If you want to see how charming Alex O'Loughlin can be while having a humorous quick take on Moonlight, check the following in character interview.

Taylor BLue

Alex is really awesome...I hate it when I am not watching me...I have no problems being glued to the screen when Moonlight is on!

December 02 2007 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole Simon

Thanks so much for turning me onto moonlight - I was searching for something else, read the comparison to Angel and oh boy, is this one yummi. And a very nice actor too, just a whole great package.

And while I think that he is in fact a bit too young to play Bond now, he will be a gorgeous choice in just a few years. And that voice ... sorry, I have to go watch that interview again ;)

November 25 2007 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pineappleish

I love Alex's work in Moonlight. He and Sophia Myles have such wonderful chemistry. I expect he will become even more popular in the US as time goes on.

November 22 2007 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I'd never seen Alex before Moonlight. He does an exceptionally good job of playing the role of Mick St. John and conveying the character's emotions. He has what it takes to go far in his career. I will be checking out his other films.

November 20 2007 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Alex O'Loughlin is a very gifted actor, and he continues to amaze me, week after week, with his portrayal of Mick the vamp PI on Moonlight. I look forward to seeing Alex in future film roles, and hopefully several seasons of Moonlight. So handsome and talented....Alex really shines in Moonlight, and his star is on the rise.

November 20 2007 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AnnaLyn

Alex might have been relatively unknown when he started with Moonlight but, his star is rising FAST. He's a great guy and a supurb actor, definitely one fans and insiders alike are going to want to keep an eye - or both eyes on.

Personality, talent, tooks, sex appeal and more Alex - what's not to enjoy and love? NADA :)

November 20 2007 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jan

I love moonlight, and especially Alex O'Loughlin, I think he is a great actor, very expressive, he plays the part so well. I have seen all his other work including Feed, Mary Bryant,Man-Thing,The Invisible and The Shield.Sophia Myles and Alex have great on screen chemistry, I love them together.

November 20 2007 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EB

Definitely am an Alex fan! I think seeing some interviews he has given for Moonlight and some of his other projects, like Feed, helped endear him to me even more, if that's possible. He is quite a charming fellow. I hope he continues to do well in Hollywood.

Here's a cute commercial he did a couple of years ago:

November 20 2007 at 6:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

i've checked out some of his work:

feed: gory and disturbing

the oyster farmer: eh, it was ok.

mary bryant: also kinda disturbing, but interesting & i learned a bit about australia.

def. a great actor, though.

November 19 2007 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

PB: If you take time to do a quick search on YouTube with key words such as "interview vampire" or "Moonlight" or "Alex O'Loughlin" you'll find other interesting videos/interviews/show excerpts/previews, etc.

November 18 2007 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply