October 22, 2014

Six lame superhero TV shows - VIDEOS

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 19th 2007 11:20AM

ShazamSuperhero TV shows can be really great if done right, but for every Heroes or The Flash we get a half dozen shows that never made it past the pilot episode or made it and just weren't very good. Cracked recently had a feature about comic books that shouldn't be made into movies, and that got me thinking about superhero TV shows that failed and/or weren't that great. Below are six examples of shows that should have never been made, along with video clips so you can marinate in their awfulness.

1. Samurai: Before there was Highlander, there was Samurai. But instead of "There can be only one," we got Joe Penny running around in a headband and robe, fighting guys in offices and alleys. It looks pretty damn ridiculous.

2. Shazam: Yeah, yeah, I know, this was a Saturday morning live action show for kids, but ... come on! The Secrets of Isis was more realistic. A boy says "Shazam!" and then turns into an adult male who wears an outrageous outfit.

3. The Justice League of America: Wow, were special effects really that bad only 10 years ago? This one starred David Ogden Stiers (M*A*S*H) as Martian Manhunter, Bionic Woman's Miguel Ferrer as bad guy The Weather Man, The O.C.'s Kim Oja, and David Krumholz from Numb3rs. The clip below shows The Green Lantern saving a woman from ... hail?

4. Electra Woman and Dyna Girl: This starred Deidre Hall from Days of Our Lives. The only thing worse than the show itself was the theme song. Makes the theme from Wonder Woman should like Mahler.

5. Manimal: Why isn't this number one? Because of the name alone! He's a MAN who can become an ANIMAL. It's Manimal. That's brilliant!

6. Night Man: This was about a saxaphone-playing jazz musician (Johnny Domino!) who is struck by lightening and then is "telephathically tuned to the frequency of evil." Or something. A crossover ep in the second season featured ... Manimal! Yup, Simon McCorkindale reprised his role from the 80s show. And yes, this show somehow made it to a second season. Ah, syndication.

Spud

Shame...

First of all, you're confusing Saturday morning children's shlock from the 70s (Shazam!, Elektra Woman and Dyna Girl) with primetime TV shows. That's apples and oranges. Second of all, Elektra Woman and Dyna Girl was just one show that made up the Krofft Saturday Super Hour. It's Sid and Marty Krofft...which is about as far away as you can get from Masterpiece Theater.

But I could excuse all that except you didn't put NBC's old "Man From Atlantis", with Patrick Duffy in his pre-Dallas days, on the list. I used to pull abdominal muscles as a kid trying to replicate how Duffy swam underwater.

December 30 2007 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fuggees

I don't know if anyone can figure this one out but here goes. I remember a Superhero TV show I wanna say from the late 70's maybe early 80's that had something to do with a guy that created a superhero from his computer. The car the guy drove could make a 90 degree turn. That is about all I can remember from it. Would anyone happen to remember that show?

December 26 2007 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I'm with everyone...no dissing Shaazam (which was on late night for about three weeks a couple years ago - I Tivoed it and watched!) or Electra Woman & Dyna Girl (was also on during that same time frame - I loved rewatching every minute!). Fighting all evil deeds? C'mon! Playing outside was all about being Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Isis, Charlies Angels, Wonder Woman and the Bionic Woman. Just because the former were Saturday morning shorts did NOT mean they had lesser impact on us kiddos!

November 21 2007 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

You missed the late 1970s live action TV Show spiderman

Absolutely stinkerific.

November 21 2007 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gowan

I had my first crush on DynaGirl.

November 20 2007 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I gotta agree: I loved Shazam when I was a kid.Those were different times, sure it may seem lame now in retrospect. I couldn't sit through, now, any of the stuff I watched as a kid (except Gilligan's Island and then only if I'm sick in bed). I can't believe some of the lousy stuff my nephew watches on Nik, but then I remember that I too was once young and foolish. I actually would watch an episode of Shazam today, just to see how really bad (I know) it was.

November 20 2007 at 5:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Freezer

I can only ask "Where the hell is 'Automan'?"

November 20 2007 at 2:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

Shazam.....ah my favorite super hero. Used to be my fav show when i was a kid too.

November 20 2007 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smoothie73

I think it is foolish to try and rate thees shows through adult eyes.Remember that for the main part,these shows were aimed at kids at a time when production cost were on a tight budget.Sid & Marty Krofft deserve better alcolades than what the get these days. Electro woman & Dyna Girl,Bugaloos,etc,was IT when it came to kid shows of the 70s. Manimal was cool as a pre teen show.Any more dissin outta you fella and I CUT YOU MAIN!!

November 19 2007 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

When I was younger, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl and Shazaam! were the coolest shows on Saturday mornings. There were a bunch of others that had similar production values. C'mon, it was Saturday morning TV! And it was the 70s. It's not like they had the same special effects we have today.

But as far as the rest.... drivel. Manimal was mildly interesting. And was out around the same time as Automan or Knight Hawk. Only Knight Ridder thrived during that period.

November 19 2007 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply