August 21, 2014

Chuck: Chuck Versus the Imported Hard Salami

by Varun Lella, posted Nov 20th 2007 10:21AM
Chuck Episode 9
(S01E09) "Relax, It's dating in L.A. ... everyone lies" - Casey

So, if you saw this episode last night, you must be freaking out right now. If you happen to be passing by this review on the TVSquad front page, I won't ruin it for you, but you need to be watching Chuck. It is really one of the few shows I truly look forward to and it will be the one I miss the most if this strike continues for much longer. That may be a little extreme of me to say, but it is pretty much the truth.

So let's get the sappy stuff out of the way first (romance). This week, much like what I said last week, the Buy More storyline was very underdeveloped -- especially given Morgan's "breakthrough." However with Chuck carrying two hefty plots on his shoulders, it was understandable. I want to see more Morgan in the future episodes (before WGA strike takes its toll on Chuck).

I have been getting the feeling over the past couple of episodes that Morgan is truly becoming his own character. Most of his actions have been alone (lone wolf), since Chuck has been either doing spy stuff or chasing hot girls. Their on-screen time together is very limited and this separation may come to a head sometime later down the line. Maybe Morgan and Chuck will have their own break up.

Lester seemed slightly less "douche-y" and a little more cartoonish at the beginning of this episode. When Sarah out-sexed his advances, I almost felt sorry for the poor kid. I am pretty sure that if an Australian supermodel did the same to me, I would have the same reaction ... or just explode. Also, I always thought that Anna was cute in that sort of punk-nerd sort of way. It was sad to see Morgan ruin his chances with the girl by being ... Morgan-y. They will probably get back together in the next episode.

Fun Fact: Anna Wu shares a similar name/style to our very own Annie Wu.

The ending to the Lou situation was very abrupt. I was hoping she would stick around for a little while, but maybe she will come back later in the season. It would be a good thing for two reasons. First, to provide some real closure to a great relationship that could have been and, secondly, because Rachel Bilson is at least a 9 in my book.

We knew that Chuck and Sarah were going to kiss from the preview, but I didn't think that Chuck would put himself on the line for the girl (trust me, asking a girl out via voicemail is a bad idea). If I were Chuck, I would have just figured it was a desperation kiss and not end it with Lou. I guess Chuck really didn't have a choice after she was told he was an "undercover FDA agent." On a side note, how sweet/adorable/cute/fuzzy-wuzzy was that "take a number" routine? I almost actually said "awww" out loud.

Now on to the main storyline. Has anyone else wondered what shipping magnates do and how they make so much money? The situation is still really confusing to me. Why are most of them Greek? Why are they making billions? Are all of them involved in weapons trafficking? Off-topic questions aside, I liked the bad guys this week and I am glad that they were smart enough to see Chuck's guitar pin/secret microphone. In most spy movies the protagonist can get away with something like that, but at least Chuck has the decency to defy the genre every now and then.

This episode officially belongs to Casey (Adam Baldwin). For all my nerd-readers out there I will provide a translation: "C@53Y FTW." He didn't have any major part in developing the story line, but he was so full of snarky comments, I had to recognize his achievements. Let's look back and reflect on some of the highlights.

• Gave Chuck a flower so he could "get laid"
  • Mentioned the right to bear arms
  • Remarked on Sarah's trend of falling in love with her partners and told her he wasn't interested.
  • Asked Chuck if the mirror had suffered enough
All this is of course lost without Baldwin's dry delivery, but I am sure you know what I am talking about.

This brings me to the other side of the coin. I hated Sarah this episode. I just didn't like her one bit. She went out of her way to ruin everything. Maybe she made it up by kissing Chuck, but I found her annoying for most of the episode.

So just to recap: Casey +10 points, Sarah -25.

Current score: Irrelevant to Who Cares?

Oh Snap Award
There wasn't much action this week, so the Oh Snap Award goes to Bryce Larkin for not being dead. I think we all knew what was going to happen. Although, I was secretly hoping for Rachel Bilson to be a cyborg. I don't think anyone who has been watching the show was necessarily surprised by Bryce being in the container. Kudos to Casey for the one-liner after the pod had opened: "Didn't I kill him?"

In the back of my mind, I thought for a second that it might be Peter Petrelli. It was a hope for the most awesome-st cross-over of all time. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but how fantastic would that have been? I have no idea what they would have done with it, but just the thought of Casey opening the door, Peter saying "Who am I?" and Casey slowly closing the door again was enough to make me smile.

Apparently, Bryce isn't going to be playing the nice guy card next week. Maybe he and Sarah (both ruiners of things) are perfect for each other. I wonder if Bryce is going to explain himself for his actions (blowing up the Intersect) next week, but my guess is probably not.

I am more interested in the guy in all black (the one who looks like Lou Diamond Phillips). Who the hell is he? Who does he work for? And why are they transporting Bryce's body across the world? He apparently returns next week (with a gun to Chuck's head), so let's hope for some answers then.

How do you feel about Bryce Larkin returning?
It'll be good for the show168 (19.3%)
Boring ... Keep him dead107 (12.3%)
I hope Chuck punches him in the nose379 (43.5%)
C@53Y FTW!217 (24.9%)

Rose

Speaking of cross overs....can I get a Morgan on an episode of The Office?!?...good morning! :)

November 23 2007 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheBrad

Sorry. The line of the episode belonged to Chuck: "Is it me, or does our government want me never to have sex again?"

November 20 2007 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Urbey

Forgive me for the delay, but I was doing advanced calculations involving differential equations, the curl and grad operators, and an antique HP-35 calculator to come up with these results. I have determined that Rachel Bilson is a 9.96, and Jessica Alba a close second at 9.89.

November 20 2007 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

@ # 3 & 5 also, yes the Hot DEA Friend was the one who was with Casey which caused him to mess up an operation which they were all working together. (Just as her actions caused problems in the Hairy Chest Guy Episode) Sarah was outed when the hot DEA agent wanted Chuck (I understand if you were distracted because I certainly was) and asked if he and Sarah were together and she said something like, "After Bryce I can understand why she'd be gunshy."

As for Sarah being boring, I agree that she was being Human...recall her one liner about being able to resist the truth serum and if not it would have caused a problem. I like that she's breaking down while still being tough as nails seeing Casey to coordinate their escape.

I loved Morgan and Anna in this episode and almost fell off the couch when he used the PA to break it off with her. I miss Harry Tang and wonder if he's coming back or if he's done. I guess they did go through all that he could do as he was the evil jerk, the evil boss, and the dupe so not much more you can do with him.

November 20 2007 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nickmagoo

so i'm watching antiques roadshow and i randomly check my dvr listings...and chuck wasn't recording! ack! so i only got to see the last 15 minutes. i am so ticked off...and yeah, the bryce thing was so anticlimactic i yawned. maybe if the person in the container was, say, abe vigoda - now THAT would've been something.

November 20 2007 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foxpoet

I loved the "take a number" scene, too... but the very best part was the punch-line, when the meaty tough guy behind the deli counter grabbed his heart and said "he had me at pastrami." Almost fell off my couch laughing!

November 20 2007 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shane W.

@7 You're absolutely right, I completely forgot about that episode...then I guess the next episode will include a bit of jealousy as well...

November 20 2007 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fred

of course sarah was annoying, she's always "it's all about the case" and suddently she just let her jealousy take over and is willing to act in very stupid ways, putting at risk herself, Chuck, and the mission... for no real reason.

About the "big twist" at the end, I really didn't like it, felt like a stupid thing someone would come up with only to get the audience to go "wow", regardless of anything else.

Anout Casey, you forgot that one line that cracked me up: "By the way Miss, your pastrami is delicious!"

I'm just sad Rachel Bilson (who is an 11 in my book) is gone, she was the reason I watched...

ps: talk about "inconsistencies" : Chuck to throw his "guitar" inside a glass, only to have it show up seconds later nicely put next to the glass, somehow.

November 20 2007 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YooToob

@3 & @5,

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a whole big thing about Chuck finding out about Sarah and Bryce during that episode where Sarah's friend/nemesis (the hot DEA agent who's name escapes me) was in town. Sarah originally told Chuck that she and Bryce's relationship was just a cover but Sarah's friend told Chuck the truth and Sarah couldn't get herself to deny it when confronted with it...

November 20 2007 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I think that Sarah in this episode was good because it showed that she is after all a human with emotions. She was very un-spy like in this episode. I can't wait for next week. Go Chuck!

November 20 2007 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply