November 26, 2014

Kid Nation: Let Me Talk!

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Nov 22nd 2007 12:23AM
Laurel from Kid Nation(S01E10) The days in Bonanza City are dwindling down for the 37 children still working out their 40 days on Kid Nation. By the time tonight's episode ended, the kids have about ten days left. That, to us, will translate to at least three weeks, I believe.

Ah, but did it stay at 37 children this week? Or did we lose another due to homesickness? Was there a brouhaha? More killed chickens? Hmmm ... now that I mentioned the killed chickens, I wonder why it was so important to kill the two and then none since. Maybe because of the power of suggestion in the journal, eh? Uh-oh. I should have put the spoiler after the jump. Too late -- no chickens died tonight. Oops.

With the holiday almost upon me, I had forgotten that last week we ended on a funky note. It was a to be continued kind of episode with what looked to be an overthrow of the town council ahead. Now, just a few weeks ago Guylan and Zach replaced Mike and Taylor respectively in the council.

So, there the kids were, as if suspended in time and space, still in the town hall after a week just waiting for us to return.

DK and Mike from Kid NationThe very surprising part of tonight's episode was that there was no journal. The show picked up on the town hall meeting. The kids who wanted to run for council leader positions as well as the incumbents each gave a brief speech.

Zach's biggest heckler was his evil nemesis Taylor -- "You suck at it!" He promised he would progress and improve. His opponent Blaine used the old "leaders should do more to motivate others" platform. (Actually, I've found in my own experience that it's hard to motivate others. About the only way you can motivate others is by setting a good example yourself.)

Guylan has been having a tough time of the job and knew he got in over his head. "Please vote me off." So, running against no one, DK took charge of the red district. Mike, voted off the council not long ago, was outright gleeful that Guylan realized it's not easy to be a leader. I think he feels vindicated.

Laurel talked about how much she loved the job and she vowed to keep doing her best. Hmm ... some of these kids take the district leader position which is so temporary more seriously than some adults take paying for the bills jobs. Her opponent, the too-wise-for-his-years Michael, said he wanted to test himself and make the town a better place.

Anjay, whom I think is the most ineffective leader on the council, just wanted a second chance. Oh, nice and bright kid, but not a real leader in this particular position. Greg, the sweet bully paradox teen, wanted the chance to show he's not a bad guy despite his bad past. I've really got a mixed mind over Greg. He must be very trying for his parents. He goes from being so sweet and caring about others to explosive with very little mellow in between.

In the end, every incumbent was voted out. Laurel seemed to take it the hardest, although Zach cried a few tears himself. Laurel had done such a good job from the start, but then I think she lost the ideal that it was the town at large as the main goal, not her individual district.

Confrontation on Kid NationSeveral of the kids feared both Greg and Blaine on the town council. In particular, both Sophia and Laurel, both green district kids, had the most trepidation. "Bonanza City will crash and burn," said Laurel.

And, so it did.

Well, it changed up before the end of the episode, yeah. But, sheesh. DK and Michael were in on a discussion with the council about respect or, more accurately, lack of respect. They think the town has gone amok with no one respecting each other. Greg and Blaine had the worst idea ever conceived to enforce respect. I have no idea why they thought all of the kids introducing themselves and then starting the whole thing over if there were any interruptions was a good idea. In the adult world, I doubt that would work. You set up a scenario like that and it's obvious that if someone says their birthday is coming, there will be disruption. Yes, a lecture could remain quiet, but not something like this. Never, under any circumstance.

So that fueled the worried about the least respectful people -- Greg and Blaine -- trying to "teach" respect to the others. The two boys compounded their problems with the others by eavesdropping as the green district talked about them. Then, in the daylight, three of the four council leads -- DK, Greg, and Blaine -- set up chairs in the middle of the road because the green district said they'd prefer that.

Micahel and Greg talk on Kid NationMichael, the idealist, realized that something had to be done, so he once again screamed, "Let me talk!" Hasn't he done that before? Or, at least something very similar? He confronted his fellow district leaders and pretty much voiced what the other kids in town were thinking -- they were going about things wrong. In order to get respect, you have to give it.

In a bit of an aside while all this was going on, the new red district leader DK told Taylor that if she didn't work, she wouldn't take part in the reward at the next showdown. Greg tried to get her to work, too.

Oh, and yeah ... Greg went good again, it seemed.

The showdown was about communication, the theme of the episode itself. The kids had to transport pies on poles while walking on beams. Once the pies arrived at the council leader, they dug through them to retrieve picture clues of communication devices. They then had to put them in the correct historical order.

We found out that Blaine needs to pay more attention in history class. "I'm not so good with my electronical history." Zach was kind, telling us that Blaine was "moderately" smart. Oh, not that I'm more than moderately smart, but today is the day in history that Thomas Edison announced his invention of the phonograph back in 1877. Blue ended up being the upper class, much of that due to Anjay shouting answers to Greg. Green will be the merchants, yellow the cooks, and laborers goes to red.

They could have had ponies. I always wanted a pony. I'd like a pony now, but I'm not sure where I'd put one in my apartment. But, instead, they chose to get letters from home as the reward for all of the districts finishing the showdown challenge within thirty minutes. Even Taylor got her letter from home.

The town meeting became another battleground of Greg's bullheadedness versus the entire town of kids. No one wanted him to leave, but he got angry as they tried to tell him they just want him to change. Hopefully, he got the clue. He seemed to, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more bad behaviors as well as kindnesses from this kid before the end of the season.

Kid Nation's gold starAlthough both Zach and Laurel had talked about going home and the town council members had threatened not to give a gold star to anyone ... it was not meant to be. They gave it to Laurel without the audience even being in on their talks. I had figured Hunter, but even though Laurel went a little astray thinking only about her own district, I think she's very deserving. You go, girl!

Her phone call to her mother was the first one which made me laugh out loud -- "We'll have to go to the mall!"

Once again, there were some touching moments in addition to the funny lines. Reality hit Greg not only when the kids confronted him for his personal behavior, but when he found out in his letter from home that his cousin was shipped to Iraq. Greg can be the bully, but he's also the comforter of others on the show. Who will comfort the comforter?

My main man (boy) Jared got in a good line tonight as they hit the showdown. "I think we should rush the pie and and eat it." Emilie did just that. Kids will be kids, Kid Nation show or not.

Will Taylor ever win a gold star?
Yes31 (8.4%)
No110 (29.8%)
Now you're just being silly228 (61.8%)

matthew

i luv taylor she so cute

January 05 2008 at 5:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie M

I loved this show so much. I'm currently 15, and live in Canada, so there was no chance of me going on it.

Whenever I watched it I felt as if I should be there, and I got so into it that I was literally on the edge of my seat or yelling at people like they could hear me. It was the weirdest thing I've ever felt, and if they EVER had one in Canada, permitting I wasn't too old, I would jump on the chance to go on it.

December 15 2007 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

My 11 and 8 year old daughters love to watch Kid Nation! That being said; it was interesting to hear their reactions to some of the people on the show. Especially with this being the final show. The confrontation between Emily and Taylor and her posse was plainly obvious to even my 8 year old. It was obvious to Emily and to all of us here at home that Emily's exclusion was decided on by none other than the always irrascible Taylor. As with most bullies, Taylor sent out others to do her dirty work and tell Emily she wasn't welcome. Frankly I think they should have let Emily and Taylor fight it out, like Taylor seemed to want to do! I have a feeling Taylor wouldn't have lasted long against Emily. But then Taylor would have just given her sad face and expected everyone else to stick up for her. We must recognize what Taylor is; she is the quintissensial female teen age bully! Otherwise known as "the popular girl".

December 12 2007 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Appalled

HOW EMBARRASSING!! Taylor is hideous. I try not to toss stones, but this child needs serious parental control. She is soooooo self absorbed, selfish, bossy, and most importantly impolite. Her parents should be appalled. I know I am. Kids will be kids, but she is just plain out BAD!!!! I HOPE she is an only child, because I am worried if there is more spawn than her. One always hopes that their children show their upbringing, when they are out in public. If this is hers, GOD help us all and especially help her horrible parents.

November 30 2007 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaime R

I would be so embarressed if Taylor was my kid. She is such a spoiled princess, only she looks more like the ugly princess with that attitude. I hope she can marry rich because she has no work ethic and is so lazy. I wonder how her parents get her to do anything, homework esp..
I think Hunter should of got his gold star a long time ago.
Now, Hunter I think anyone would be proud to have a kid like that.
The situation that these kids are in is pretty cool. I love watching the show and would love to see more of this type of shows. I would love to see a show on what some of the parents actually think about their kids and how they did.
I defintly think they needed to do something about the swearing with these kids. I was a little shocked at that.

November 29 2007 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greg&blaineswifey888

what about that funny line that greg said?
"i may be blue... but im sleeping with yellow!

November 28 2007 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
reneli

I think Greg is very much like Dan in Louisa May Alcott's Little Men. He's really a good kid inside.

November 27 2007 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

It seemed like Laurel was the one initially dividing Bonanza after losing her position. She went on the offensive and voiced her displeasure with everybody not on the council. She had already begun to divide the town when she didn't change the Green team and I thought she continued that this week. Nobody showed themselves to deserve the star in this episode to me, so I still wasn't surprised when Laurel got it.

November 23 2007 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

No comment on how hilarious it was when Greg went to state their decision on which gift they would pick? I'm surprised nothing was said or reedited on the producers part. I'm also sort of surprised that Laurel or Mike had never thought to do something like that during any of their earlier choices in presents.

In my mind, Anjay already HAD his second chance when they held the first elections.

It really bugged me when Michael was talking to his district poorly about the council's respect attempts. While it wasn't the greatest way to go about it (I've had to do similar exercises way back when) one of the first things in management is to make sure a solidified front is present. Going behind the other three on council and saying what Michael did was completely inappropriate on his part. I never heard DK's name mentioned from the room however . . . . funny how he got dragged into it.

I like how they called Taylor out when they went to give her the letter. It sounded though like she doesn't plan on changing. I wish that the town had the ability to kick people out at council with a 75% vote or something - similar to Greg's saying he would go home if half wanted him gone. I think it would be an interesting conflict if they were to send Taylor home if they could, or IF they even would.

November 22 2007 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

Funny, I was just thinking that Greg seems bipolar. He seems like two different people sometimes. I was gratified to see I'm not the only one thinking along those lines. It's like he wants so badly to be a good kid, but something beyond his control keeps getting in the way. He needs medication. Anyway...it kind of disturbs me that the whole town council is nothing but boys now. It started out evenly split 50-50. There's roughly about the same amount of girls in Bonanza City...I don't know why none of them would run. Girls have a different perspective than boys, and I think it's important to balance it out. I thought things were more equal between the sexes in the next generation. If this show is any indication, I was wrong.

November 22 2007 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply