October 22, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Razor

by Keith McDuffee, posted Nov 24th 2007 11:37PM
bsg: razor
Rather than have you sit through what basically would amount to a more detailed version of the Early Look post I did about Razor last month, I wanted to at least make sure you all had a forum of sorts to discuss the movie. I will, however, mention a few points worth mentioning again ...

• Obviously the biggest "news" from the episode was the revelation that Starbuck is supposedly the bringer of apocalypse. Should the hybrid really be believed?
  • Several times we saw the message hit home that "this has happened before and it will happen again." Ron D. Moore had also made that theme pretty clear several times in the past, not to mention the webisodes carrying that same message.
  • OK, so it's pretty clear that Cain was into girls. Know what? Big deal. I have no idea why that was such a fuss when that spoiler came up before, as it doesn't seem to mean a whole lot of anything significant.
  • It was surreal to see Cain actually kill the former XO in the exact way it was told to the crew of the Galactica in the series. A extremely tense moment in the movie for sure.
  • Any thoughts on the old Cylon "guardians" and what their purpose might be in the fourth season?

Be sure to also check out what I already said in the Early Look post.

What was the most surprising thing from Razor?
Starbuck's prophesy342 (47.1%)
The Cylon Guardians175 (24.1%)
What Cain did on Pegasus69 (9.5%)
"This has happened before and it will happen again."54 (7.4%)
That Cain had a thing with a Number Six86 (11.8%)

bsgfan2003

Yeah maybe Tim-1, but aren't they billing the final five as somehow different from the others?

I read an interesting article speculating that the final cylon would be none other than Lee Adama. It made a good case, but I'm not so sure myself.

At any rate, we have a long time to wait. Depending on the strike, it could be a very long time indeed.

December 18 2007 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

One only has to wonder if Baltar knew that
Saul was a cylon during his "cylon detector project" days. Remember that rather comical scene (can't remember the ep. title) when Adama, Roslin, Saul, and the others were all finger pointing each other as being a cylon suspect? Ah yes....this was the episode in which Adama "discovered" Ellen for Saul. As it turned out then, It was left ambiguous as to whether Baltar knew who..if anyone was a cylon among them. I do not remember if Saul was actually tested in that episode and in that precise scene. He would however, being a high-ranking officer, would have been checked very early in the game. One thing is certain...Baltar's cylon detector worked because he did expose Boomer, which incidently, he covered up. I realize this is past history, but it is fun to work the loose ends.

December 18 2007 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

Anyone? Anyone?

December 07 2007 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cress d's comment
bsgfan2003

I *heard* about the same as a regular episode. Pushing 2 mill.

December 14 2007 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

Anyone know how RAZOR did in the ratings?

December 03 2007 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Shell

Oh. And as for "why is cain so evil"? As for shooting her XO - there is a great episode of "Ethics in America" (a surprisingly spellbinding program, actually) that was about war and orders under fire.

The situation being postulated involved a soldier defying his superior officer to go out (with the rest of the unit) and "take that hill!". The soldier won't go saying it's suicide, that they'll all get killed. He's not scared (per se), just blatantly defying orders. The host asks a military commander what he would do in that situation: if the soldier repeatedly refused, yet that's what the command was (which probably came down from even higher up). The military commander said that if the soldier kept defying the order, the he would shoot the soldier. They can't have one guy gumming up/holding back the whole operation just by defying it and yelling and carrying on. The commander said he'd face military court later, but for now, they have to take the hill, and this one soldier is getting in the way of their objective.

A hardcore military person like Cain could very well see things the same way, if not harder.

As for giving the command to shoot the civilians, I think it was rooted (partially) in the same system of military objectives triumphing all else. But also, she was standing in front of Gina at the time. As Cain later said, you have to show the enemy how far you're willing to go. And as Adama later said, if the Galactica hadn't had the president and makeshift ramshackle democracy that they happened to have at the time of the attack, he would have made and faced different choices. Maybe not as extreme as Cain's, but probably not the kind of decisions that he ended up making.

I think that was all fairly well placed and/or explained within the show and history of the series. Like others said: I'm not really sure what this show does to add to the story. We mostly got to see the stories that we had previously been told, except for the extra little prophecy about Kara. But even that is something that I think we've put together by now.

I think it was an entertaining show. Given the Razorettes, I was expecting more (or all) of the story to take place in the first war, so I was a little disappointed at first, until I remembered hearing that the story was to cover what happened to Pegasus. And it was fun to see the old Centurions and hear them speak. I had to scrub back to that spot a couple of times. It's too bad Lloyd Bridges isn't alive. It would have been nice to sneak in a guest appearance for the original Cain (although I would have expected nothing less than an Airplane caliber performance: "looks like I picked the wrong week to stop taking stims!")

December 03 2007 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Shell

It's not that Cain is a lesbian: it's that Six (Gina) is a sex-bot. It was established long ago that her model was the most sexual. As such: couldn't she have been placed on Pegasus to seduce Cain (and gain access to the Pegasus' network) just like Caprica Six was placed to seduce Baltar and get access to the whole system? So even when Pegasus was offline during the initial encounter, she could gain access to security codes for later infiltration, which nearly happened?

It's too bad that the governments of the colonies didn't make a film like they did in Futurama: "Don't Date Robots!" Cain, Helo, Baltar... Maybe that's why they have that film in Earth 3000 - the colony survivors get to Earth, tell the story about the crazy doctor and crazy admiral and crazy raptor pilot who dated robots and led to the destruction of nearly all of their kind; all of which later can be used to try to keep Fry from dating a robotic replica of Lucy Liu. It also explains why Bender is so evil. He's like a cheap descendant of a Guardian.

Don't you just love it when your disparate sci-fi comes together?

December 03 2007 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Has everyone had collective amnesia! "This has happened before, and will happen again" has been said many times in many episodes of BSG so far. It was certainly emphasized here though.

As far as the people that didn't see much meaning in this episode, I suggest you read a couple pages of TWOP's review. There is so much meaning here it is not even funny.

Yes, this wasn't a viscerally satisfying as most normal episodes of BSG, and wasn't designed to be. But there was so much more meaning layered underneath.

December 02 2007 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Keith: Are we that vicious?

(I guess to confirm that with my next comment:)

I really love it when people just tease their own blog posts in the comments. Was the snippet of your writing powerful enough to get me to move to another site? I think not, my friend... I think not...

(Ok, maybe we are a little vicious)

November 29 2007 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Montgomery Lopez

While the WGA strike has no end in site, at least we had BSG: Razor to watch. From the couple of promos of Razor and the flashback sequences of a young Adama on the Scifi Channel, I wasn't sure how this would turn out. Was this movie about Cain and the backstory of her prior to Galactica or was this about Adama who is thinking about his younger days before taking command; perhaps shades of Caprica the spinoff series? I still don't know other than the focus on the artwork appears to be of Cain. Before going further, this has got to be one of the most confusing flashbacks episode I have ever seen on BSG.
read more: http://monsterscifishow.wordpress.com/2007/11/27/bsg-razor-review/

November 28 2007 at 5:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

Simply great. Short and and to the point. God, April couldn't get here any sooner.

November 27 2007 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply