April 16, 2014

Frank TV impresses 2.9 million

by Jason Hughes, posted Nov 24th 2007 10:19AM

Following the strong ratings figures for Tyler Perry's House of Payne, which received that order for 10,000 episodes right off the bat, give or take 9,000, and the solid premiere of The Bill Engvall Show, TBS struck comedy gold again with Frank Caliendo's Frank TV. The late-night sketch/impression show scored an impressive 2.9 million viewers, according to Variety, with a not-surprising-at-all 64% of those in the coveted 18-49 demographic.

Caliendo, whose impressions include George W. Bush, the entire main cast of Seinfeld, Robin Williams and his signature John Madden, plays virtually every character on the show. His Bush is so dead-on, if the strike continues, he can just stand their and make Bush's classic expressions for thirty minutes. His half-smiles, smirks and squinchy eyebrows are enough to bring audiences to tears.

Five episodes were completed before the strike, which should give TBS a chance to see if it was a curiosity factor or if these figures are sustainable. My money's on Frank TV being a solid hit. Caliendo's brilliant with his impressions, fast-paced and funny. And everyone loves a good impression, how do you think Kevin Pollack has remained relevant, even though 95% of his repertoire are dead now. His whole schtick now consists of Christopher Walken and ... well, Christopher Walken.

annarella

Worst show ever...Who are the Add Wizards who came up with this one... I felt embarrassed for this guy. TBS forgot to call the "is it funny hotline" on this one. Wasted ten minutes of my life on a fat guy who is more over-rated than hand jobs. We are all now dumber for having watched this show that not one person who I know thought it was even close to being funny. Used up all his material on guest appearances. I feel sorry for the guy. So much talent. Wait no I don't. He just uses other peoples characters and tries to make them funny. The real Robert D. is funnier than this guy thinks he is. Horrible horrible show. I vote cancel it and put on episodes of Golden Girls. Maybe then someone might laugh. Ha, Golden Girls is funnier than this Douche bag and I have never even seen an episode of it...

November 27 2007 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Won't watch it. The main guy in the commercials is way too fat to be any of the characters, so regardless of the makeup and voice work, his obesity makes it impossible to even suspend disbelief. We see the commercials and my wife will exclaim, "Look it's an impression of a fat Deniro!"

November 25 2007 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crow

Peter Falk is not dead...nor William Shatner. Kevin Pollak does killer impressions of both.

November 25 2007 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chead

I think your discussion of the high rating should also mention the massive publicity push for the series including endless spots during the world series a few months ago.

I question how sustainable his comedy is. His impressions can bring viewers in, but you need quality writing to get them to stay. I just cannot understand tuning in each week for the same ten impressions.

November 25 2007 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

I like Frank and his impressions but the show seems a little weak. I'm just not sure how impressions translate to a half hour weekly show.

November 24 2007 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

I've never thought this guy was funny, and his portion on Fox's pregame show on Sundays is often grating. At least Jimmy Kimmel was entertaining. This guy does the same old John Madden impression week after week. And the only way he can find humor is by making fun of the other co-hosts on the show. Enough already. You're not Joe Buck (an equally grating personality who loves to make fun of people).

I suspect most of the people that tuned into TBS did so out of curiosity. Look for the numbers to go down until he's hopefully cancelled. Or better yet, maybe this will pull him off of Fox.

The pregame show would be so much better without him.

November 24 2007 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Yeah, "stand their". I love this mistake :)

November 24 2007 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

His impresions: good.

The writing of these sketches: horrendous.

November 24 2007 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

You misspelled Kevin Pollak. And I'll take him over Frank Caliendo any day.

Let me guess ... you do all your Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart?

November 24 2007 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

His Bush seemed like a good impression on the ads, however the guy they have on Leno is the spitting image of Bush and sounds just like him as well its uncanny. Hell you could mistake that guy for Bush if you didn't know it was a joke.

November 24 2007 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply