August 1, 2014

Cane: Time Away

by Kristin Sample, posted Nov 28th 2007 11:20AM
Alex on vacation
(S01E10) Firstly, let me say that I was a little worried when Cane didn't show any previews for next week. I wonder if it's been affected by the writers' strike. Maybe because of poor ratings they are just taking it off the air. I wouldn't be surprised--they are fine with taking good characters off the show without warning (hello? Santo?). I would be upset if Cane got canceled though. The show really has so much potential and it would be such a waste of an excellent ensemble cast to cancel it.

Now let's get to the review. Tonight's episode was good. The parallel stories were clever. Alex / Jaime are both confronted with morally gray situations (i.e. a hooker in the hotel room and strippers at a bachelor party). Both, however, stay true to their wives.

Here's some more good things about last night's episode: Frank's character didn't flip-flop and they forwarded the plot with Rebecca and Jaime. As for Frank, he was low-key last night (which was fine with me). As some people have commented, the writers are trying to do too much with him. He's a great character but he lacks any solid development. He played the good son last night for a second week in a row. I guess he's cured of the gambling problem. He even included Henry in his business plans.

The only part that was a bit forced was the pitch at the end. Why doesn't Pancho like any new ideas? He clearly doesn't like losing money but thwarts any of his sons' attempts to remedy the situation. (Not that beer was the best idea. It's not like beer is a new thing.) Then Henry leaves in a huff after he tells Frank that he messed up the pitch? They were working so well together. It was incongruous to have him just get angry and leave like that.

In addition to the Frank and Henry B-story, Jaime and Rebecca's story was developed. I liked seeing Rebecca in a compromising position tonight. At first I sympathized with her because she is marrying someone of whom she feels unworthy (at least by social standards). But last night changed everything. What was with her sleeping with her ex-boyfriend? I didn't see that coming. I thought that Jaime was going to catch Rebecca getting dropped off and "get the wrong idea." I did not think she was going to cheat on her husband.
Alex with Ramon

For the first time in a long while, I liked Alex in last night's show. Most of his scenes were well-played (you can always count on the Smits for that) and compelling. I loved the end where he walks in on Ramon and his nephew "interrogating" Julio. His expression was great. In that moment, you could tell that he was disappointed with himself. His judgment was clouded when he began his relationship with Ramon. The guy is not a businessman by Alex's definition and Alex needs to remember that or he'll be in trouble.

Speaking of trouble, Isabel is getting a little hot and heavy with the artist (Hudson?). This could be a good angle as Isabel seems distant from Alex since she had the miscarriage. However, I really don't like that guy. He is just a sanctimonious jerk (and he's not all that sexy). I felt the dialogue between them could have benefited from a rewrite. At some points, he was too mean to Isabel in the art gallery. I couldn't believe she actually stayed for dinner. Well, that's exaggerating. I could believe she stayed for dinner.

Just one more thing--did anyone else like Ramon's nephew doing the Scarface impression? I thought it was a bit much at first but then, if there was ever a time to reference the famous Cuban gangster, that would've been it.

Do you think that Isabel will cheat on Alex with the snotty artist?
Yes, in time.88 (50.9%)
No way. They have a strong marriage.85 (49.1%)

frmShelby

Please someone tell me what the name of the song is that was playing when Isabel and the artist, Hudson are staning in the gallery deciding where the art should go??????

December 10 2007 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mildred

please CBS don't cancel this show

December 04 2007 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

Shahry
THANKS !!! Now I got it downloaded to IPOD.
Appreciate it!!!

December 01 2007 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shahry

Staind - Outside

December 01 2007 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

This is a great show. Cuban version of the Sopranos.
Does anyone know what is the name of the song or the artist of the song that is playing at the end of the this past episode? (Time Away)

Talks about "I'm on the outside looking in"

Song goes great with a man that has turmoil inside.

November 29 2007 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEN

I LOVE this show. Please don't cancel it CBS!
Jimmy Smits was made for this role. That whole Cuban feel is so well done. I loved the Scar face reference last night too. Every show is great - although I would like to see more Santo myself. I wouldve like a little more hunkier guy for Isabelle - I mean really, the artist vs. Alex? Please........it's not like Alex doesnt pay attention to her - e.g. the shower scene....whoo hoo mama!!!
Excellent show

November 29 2007 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane Adler

My husband and I really love this show. I suppose I like the personal stories and he likes the action parts. Does anyone know if this show has been cancelled or what the ratings are? It was hard to believe that Alex would get involved with the mafia. I also hope they will have Isabel and Alex remain faithful. It looks like maybe there are only 2 episodes left. I read that they had finished filming before the writer's strike.

November 29 2007 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
betty20x

Well I was very dsiappointed in Becky. She turned out to be the trailer park trash she thinks she is...Now she's gonna get pregnant & not know who's the true daddy. I can see the plot developing now. I do hope Isabel & Alex stay faithful to each other.

November 28 2007 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mildred

Well, I don't like Ramon at all, or Alex involvement with the mafia,I thought they did away with Santo, but I just read in CBS site about next episode Dec 11,@ 9 p.m. and Santo is there, but what about Amalia? where is she, I don't like the way they dissapear the characters without a word and then bring them back as if they never were absent. ( Santo, Amalia, the kid} this show has the potential to be the best on T.V. now (great actors)but they are very inconsistent with the characters people like to see.

November 28 2007 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply