September 22, 2014

Kid Nation: I Just Like the Recess Part

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Nov 28th 2007 11:44PM
Greg from Kid Nation(S01E11) I feel manipulated. I feel used. I feel a pawn to a lesson session. I feel all I learned in childhood about doing the right thing is so much better than doing the fun thing was snatched from behind my wall of memories and plopped down in tonight's episode of Kid Nation.

Why must fun always have consequences? Or, at least choosing fun over a more serious option? It doesn't always play that way in adulthood. Sometimes you can have fun without regret. Yeah, seriously.

But I'll never be a Dance Master, no matter how much fun it might be. There is something called reality which comes to mind.

It wasn't all fun and games tonight, though. Unless Greg gets some sort of odd thrill about killing chickens, that is. Yep, tonight another ten chickens bought the farm, went to market, or to be blunt -- ended up as chicken dinner for the remaining 37 (or is it 36) kids in Bonanza City.

Oh, but not the brown chickens. Nope, Taylor deemed them pretty so they just couldn't be killed. That kid is really starting to make me feel a bit queasy. According to the mind of Taylor, ugly animals should die, but not pretty onces. She even tried to put make-up on her dog so it would meet her aesthetic standards. I think back when I was young and I remember thinking some animals were so ugly they were precious. I lived around chickens at one point and didn't really think some were any prettier than others. Now, cool fancy chickens at the state fair were often pretty, but regular old domestic chickens look like um ... well ... chickens.

Taylor and a pretty brown chicken on Kid NationSo it was Taylor as the executioner even though it was Greg who carried out the dirty deed. She chose the ugly chickens which would make the dinner. I certainly hope she never goes into the line of world leadership. A food crisis? Oh, kill the ugly people! They don't matter as much as the beautiful ones, right? Who would be the judge? Uh-oh. Taylor. Shades of Soylent Green.

Of course, in a way, Taylor is getting what she wants. I think she thinks she's a star. And, tonight's episode was certainly Taylor-centric. Out of the nearly 40 kids on the show, she was the little drama queen tonight. From thinking all ugly animals should die to her work ethic (or lack thereof) to her change of ways only for personal gain ... Taylor got yet another me-me-me spotlight. I don't think she cares how she's portrayed, as long as she gets face time.

The journal made its return tonight and brought up the wonders of education. Now, this is a very smart and well-studied group of kids. I was a good student, but these kids are light years ahead of where I was at their ages. It's 40 days. Must they study? Well, Taylor refuses to study, but everyone else did.

Sure enough, the showdown tonight was a pop quiz, literally, pop. The kids were asked questions from the textbooks. Each district had a bunch of lug nuts and a slingshot. Three balloons with answers would pop up and they would have to shoot the two wrong answers. Taylor would not be allowed to take part in any reward the town might earn. In the end, Green won upper class, Blue are merchants, Yellow are cooks, and the laborers are the Red District.

Then it happened. Each time they've made the choice of reward, the council leaders have gone with the wise and mature decision. I think the choice was definitely Taylor-influenced tonight. They knew, as she was quite vocal about it, that she wanted them to choose a library of books over a game arcade which would be free to all. The arcade and the fact that Taylor didn't want them to choose it led this batch of leaders to make the "wrong" choice.

Oh, my. Will the sky fall, Pretty Brown Chicken Little?

The game arcade on Kid NationIt just about did. Kids wanted to play the games instead of doing tasks which had to be done. Kids ignored their jobs. Kids were gambling on the games.

Even my main little man Jared fell to the spell, chucking his work aside and becoming determined to be a Dance Man. Actually, it looked like a lot of fun. As an adult, I'd have trouble tearing myself away from it, too. But the fact that I need to keep myself sheltered with food and clothes would make me leave the games behind.

The kids have no such incentive. And, let's face it. They're kids.

Not all of the kids were happy. Sophia went into her workhorse mode saying that she's a 30-year-old woman trapped in a 14-year-old girl's body. DK was freaking because his district stopped working to go play games. Hunter didn't freak, but went about working and talking about the work ethic his father had instilled in him. Yes, he played the games a bit, but he knew work had to get done.

The real surprise is the kid who washed the mound of dishes. Haven't these kids ever heard of Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Who Would Not Take the Garbage Out? (Shel Silverstein, someone these kids should know all about!)

Taylor washes dishes on Kid NationIt was Taylor. Actually, Zach (her arch nemesis) asked her nicely and respectfully to please help. And, it worked. I'm sure the thought that they'd let her in the arcade had a lot to do with her decision to take on all the dishes from the entire month -- or so it looked.

So, all is sweetie pie with dear Taylor once again. Greg hugged her and carried he over the threshold of the arcade like she was a bride. Ew.

But it all continued to fall apart, even more evident at the town meeting this week. The kids all wanted to play except for the very few who thought the arcade was the downfall of civilized society. Sophia had gone as far as to build a personal library where Alex could talk about the value of pi to his heart's content. Or, to his mind's content. Me, I don't care much after 3.14. That's all I really need to know for my lifestyle.

Did you notice that the kids weren't asked if anyone wanted to go home this week? Or did I just miss it somehow? Maybe because they only have six days to go it's a given all will remain for the duration.

Zach from Kid NationThe editing tried to play up the suspense between Hunter and Zach as the recipient of the gold star, but they had already blown it by highlighting one throughout the episode.

I like Zach, he's a pretty cool little kid. But it was Hunter who won the gold star tonight. I think he deserved it -- the kid has worked hard throughout the season and it's time it paid off in something other than exhaustion from a job well done. It sounds like his family situation might be a bit eased by striking gold although I hope they put away most of it for his college education.

Like the library the kids turned down, that would be the right thing to do.

And, after all, tonight's episode was all a big lesson about choices, education, right and wrong decisions. While all of the episodes are a bit morals-ish, I felt a bit force-fed with this one. At least I didn't eat any pretty chickens, just the ugly ones.

At least Jared sneaked back to the arcade before it became locked and controlled by Sophia for the enjoyment of only those who have finished their work. He's a Dance Man. Yay.

If KN returns next year, will you watch it?
Yes299 (83.3%)
No31 (8.6%)
Only if the WGA is still on strike29 (8.1%)

Sara

OMG! I love this show.

I think it should let kids from Canada to go in it so,
I can be on the show.

I think it would be like a one in a life time chance.

So if anyone knows how to sign up for the show ( if there doing another season)

Tell me please! =]

December 05 2007 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

OMG KNFan - that's it!

I've been trying to figure out almost since the season started who Taylor reminded me of. She is The Bad Seed. I hope no one leaves her alone with cute little Alex or Jared. I wouldn't be surprised if she did have metal taps on her shoes ...

I'm very much looking forward to next week's episode. Sheriff Sophia should be good fun.

November 30 2007 at 6:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doolittle Fan CCornel

As far as Taylor is concerned: I said it when this show first aired, and I'll say it again. That little girl scares me. I wouldn't want to be in a dark alley with that kid. She's The Bad Seed disguised as a Southern child beauty queen spoiled brat. But that little girl has some real problems now, and ahead of her -- especially since I really don't belive that her parents realize what kind of little monster they're raising. Let's hope that they would wake up to how wrong Taylor is and seek to make corrections for her future.

Now, let's see if one of my favorite Angels with Dirty Faces -- Sofia, turns out to be the town's sheriff from Hell !!

-- KNFan

November 29 2007 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steff

Since Shannon did such a good job expressing my feelings towards Taylor, I have just two words for her. Military School.

November 29 2007 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NavStar

I would LOVE it if the producers did a 'where are they now' special 5 or 10 years from now.

I think Taylor's parents need some serious parental training. And I think Greg is a little too old for the show (his interactions with Taylor give me the willies!). They should cap next season at age 12.

November 29 2007 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC

Everyone could have seen that the arcade was going to be a problem...trapped there for 30 plus days and give the kids a FREE arcade. I was disappointed in some of the leaders playing, setting bad examples for the others (and Mike included).

As for Taylor...the problem I have with her goes back to her continued "promised to do better" each week. When she was on the council she said that each week, and every week since she is off she tells them all she will work and do better -- yet never does! The council let her off the hook last week getting the reward, then again this week banish her yet still give in...

I am beginning to think that she is just a drama queen wanting the attention. She does the things she does to get attention and be the center of attention.

And its about time Hunter was rewarded for his work. That kid has been one of the most impressive of all of them, always offering helping hand regardless of his social class for that week!

Weeks ago I told my wife I did not understand why the council (or the journal) never had the idea of other town leaders --- and a sheriff was the first thing that came to my mind since a "town in the west" would have needed a sheriff. The person could be for the upper class each week since they had the most free time and could make sure the work tasks in the other 3 classes were completed (give demerits or fines or something that eventually lead the person not getting the reward if they won one).

I also think that if I were on the town council that I would have set up a "district commissioner" in my district to give the district leader advice and offer suggestions. Have a different kid each 3 days, thus they would have gave another kid in the district a title (appeasing the voters) as a reward for hard work. Also I would have set up "brain storming meetings" each night before lights out in the bunk to get others in my district input. This might have kept Mike and Anjay on the council weeks ago if they had of included their group more. A good leader is smart enough to at least listen...

November 29 2007 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

Okay. I love this show. I've watched it from the beginning and I think it's just wonderful. I am continually amazed by these kids who are, for the most part, very intelligent, caring, and wise beyond their years. Of course, I have no idea how much they are being influenced in their decisions, but I like to think that the portrayal of these kids is genuine.

I love Gregg. He worried me at first, but he's really grown on me. He can be a jerk at times, but after he thinks about what he's done, he usually ends up surprising me by doing the right thing.

My only complaint with this show is Taylor. I've never been so irritated and sickened by a kid than I am about this little monster. She is terribly spoiled and lazy, she judges everything and everyone by appearances, and she has no sense of what is right and wrong. This kid's parents should be slapped. She has annoyed me from the beginning, but the thing with the chickens tonight just put me over the edge. It's okay to kill the ugly ones just because they're ugly? She is saying that ugly creatures deserve to die. This is very disturbing, making judgments like that because of appearances. And what kind of parents would raise their kid to think she is too good for work? I hope her parents are humiliated by her actions on national television. I doubt it, though. They probably think she is just an angel.

I've been hoping she would leave for awhile. Most of the kids are trying to set a good example for the millions of kids watching at home. This kid is setting a terrible example. Terrible, just awful. The one good thing that's come out of it is that I've had a chance to teach my kids that that is no way to act. Go home, Taylor!

November 29 2007 at 2:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shannon's comment
Shawn Burns

Oh my gosh...Taylor!

For me, all i can do is send an email of support and hope this show returns with another season SOON!

November 29 2007 at 8:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply