November 24, 2014

Pushing Daisies: Bitter Sweets

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Nov 28th 2007 11:26PM
Pushing Daisies
(S01E08) "Am I your boyfriend?" - Ned
"Yes." - Chuck

It was announced about two months ago that Molly Shannon would guest star on ABC's Pushing Daisies and the day, err... evening, has come. I've read a lot of comments from fans saying that they were somewhat scared after hearing she would guest star mostly because they thought her acting wasn't good enough for the show. In retrospect, her acting wasn't that great but it wasn't that bad either since Daisies is over the top at times.

Pushing DaisiesShannon's storyline line was an entertaining one because it not only involved murder but also a war between 'The Pie Ho(le)' and 'Balsam's Bittersweets Taffy and Sweet Emporium' (try to say that name with a mouthful of pink taffy!). The war showed new sides to all characters. We discovered that a past event (Ned throwing a book at a schoolmate and later paying for it) set Ned on a path of "no retaliation" and that pals Olive and Chuck were not afraid to go in Mission: Impossible mode to do what Ned was too afraid to do! It also put Emerson in an uneasy situation because Ned was put behind bars. Poor Emerson had to work more than usual! He had gotten way too comfortable lately since Ned's ability was helping Emerson cut corners and, in a way, he was also taking Ned for granted. That "thank you" sort of speech at the end was probably not an easy thing for Emerson to do but I'm glad he did it because not only will it help cement his (business) friendship with Ned but also because it's fun to watch Emerson be uncomfortable!

Pushing DaisiesAt first, I thought the case of the week (Tony's death) was resolved way too quickly; they found the killer about 10 minutes in the episode. I prefer episodes that have a one-hour case of the week and not two distinct storylines. To my surprise and enjoyment, the killer resurfaced in Ned's cell! Allowing him (Ned) to bond with Burly Bruce and decide that he would not tell Chuck the truth. The Bruce/doll storyline (which seems similar to the movie Lars and the Real Girl) was a mirror of what the Ned/Chuck relationship is: Bruce can never really be with his doll, nor can Ned and Chuck. How long can someone be in a romantic relationship with someone they can't fully interact with?

No matter, Chuck and Ned decided they were boyfriend and girlfriend. That decision, added to the fact it was Chuck's father's birthday, had a ripple effect over the entire episode! Olive's world made a few 360s, which made her be angry and in somewhat of a denial throughout the episode. Her chances with Ned were officially crushed. It's clear Alfredo has a thing for her and it would be great for Olive to have her dream (the one where Alfredo rushes in the Pie Hole and kisses her) come true. As for Ned, it put him in a "should I tell the truth or not path." Emerson was pushing for him to lie to Chuck but Ned wasn't so sure it was the right decision to make. After a few hours in a cell, Ned decided to not tell Chuck but the happiness he felt at the end of the episode made him blurt out the truth: "Chuck, I killed your father!" What a way to end the episode. Luckily, there is one episode left before PD goes into indefinite hiatus so we will know how Chuck reacts to this bombshell. If you have ideas, share them below!

Question of the week: My mind is blank so I'm asking you for help. Was it ever established how Ned can revive dead fruit and not touch them again (so going past the minute), yet no one (including other fruits, insects, etc.) dies?

Other tidbits of interest:
  • Emerson faking sleep while Chuck talked was hilarious!...
  • ... so was Alfredo speaking so quickly that it reminded me of Gilmore Girls. Olive's reply to Alfredo saying what he would do if he was in a relationship with someone he couldn't touch was so... Olive! "Forget it!"
  • I loved the over-the-top and toy factory like feel of the Emporium.
  • Chuck and Emerson were quite creative when lifting off the fingerprints so was Ned when using his petting hand to capture the rats.
  • The gun-filled pie was cute. However, wouldn't the prison guards have checked what was inside Olive's box?
  • Olive giving a double hug to Ned was refreshing.
  • "How you doin'?" - Tony, using Joey Tribbiani's technique to flirt with Chuck
  • "Yay to not telling the truth! - Ned
Molly Shannon as Dilly Balsam...
great casting!157 (39.2%)
terrible casting!16 (4.0%)
was okay.179 (44.6%)
I don't care.49 (12.2%)

Cody

I'm a little late to the Pushing Daisies party, and probably ain't nobody going to read this, but here's my theory on how he can eat:

When he puts his own pies in his mouth, the fruit immediately rots because that was the state that the fruit had been in before he revived it. When something redies from his touch, it immediately returns to the state it was in before he revived it.

So if he touches a porkchop, sure it may shudder a little and some blood might start squirting, but then he can touch it again and it'll turn right back into an edible porkchop.

January 09 2008 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

The actor who played Billy Balsam was driving me crazy with familiarity: I just looked him up in the IMDb, and realized he was Mike White! Great pairing of him with Molly Shannon, given that he wrote "Year of the Dog," which she starred in. He also wrote "Chuck and Buck," and a few episodes of "Freaks and Geeks" (as well as playing Kim's slightly addled brother). What a perfect sensibility for the "Pushing Daisies" universe.

November 30 2007 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

I loved seeing Kenny Banya as Andrew Brown. I was expecting him to say at any minute, "that's gold Ned. Gold".

November 29 2007 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
getherSpoon

Also, on the comment of the fruit: So we've seen that if he eats a pie created with his fruit, it dies again...

so what would happen were he to eat meat? Or anything that used to be dead for that matter.. wouldn't it all come back to like then die the next time he touched/chewed it?

perhaps it's best not to think about.

November 29 2007 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to getherSpoon's comment
Ashley Boyd

Spoke about this with others before and we kinda came to the conclusion that meat is a bit different anyway. Its been chopped up. Maybe theres a 'no-head' rule. Because how freaky would an animated porkchop be?

November 29 2007 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

Ashley, that's a good theory. I guess that everything that is not whole anymore cannot be revived. That is why objects don't get reanimated when Ned touches them.

November 29 2007 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fred

This is such a lovely show! I really love it.

As far as I'm concerned I never really liked the aunts, so I liked that. And as long as Emerson stays around one way or another, we're sure to have a good time!

I've been wondering about the whole dead fruits thing as well, I'm also wondering if Chuck's flowers (on the roof) could be affected... I doubt it, that'd suck, so Ned has to be some secret garden of always dying flowers.

Those are going to be two long weeks for sure...

November 29 2007 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cat

as I recall when Ned revived the fruits, he had a lot of plants around, flowers and the flowers wilted while the fruits florished, and that was the trade off. Once the fruits are in the pie he doesn't touch them again, the crust and pie tin are the barriers.

sort of a nice recycle factor.

November 29 2007 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bella

Also on the fruit front, there was a scene in one episode, I can't remember specifically but he picked up dead fruit with one hand and revived it and then passed it to the other hand, which was gloved.

November 29 2007 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg O.

I feel the need to squash the speculation before it starts to run away.

In the introductory scene of the third episode it's shown that as he's reviving the peaches and tossing them to Chuck, the flower bed along a window sill is the (probably intended) victim. It's also been reiterated a couple times that trades are roughly equivalent. A dog for a squirrel, a bird for a bird, a plant for a plant, and a human for a human.

November 29 2007 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevinc

Worst episode yet.

November 29 2007 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ray

Another comment about the fruit... it's been irking me too about how he can revive the strawberries and no other strawberry/plant is shown to die in it's place. I don't think you can have the mold be the offset since mold isn't a plant and so they're not in the same species/type/whatever as a strawberry.

And what about the tables that they sit at in the Pie Hole - they're made of wood which were trees, so wouldn't they come alive when Ned touches them? Or do we assume that Ned has already touched all of the tables twice to kill them off permanently.

In the end though, I put all of these questions into the back of my head and just enjoy the show for what it is - a fun time.

November 29 2007 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply